Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: New Last Airbender Series (trailer included)

SPOILER! :
    Ah, I see. I let my hatred of anything remotely overpowered get the better of me (for the record, I still blame shonen manga for that bias of mine). And yes, the water tribe lady in The Last Airbender did bend multiple people at once.

On another note:
    SPOILER! :
    I think I was too hasty in deciding I disliked Legend of Korra based on weaker writing. I did some thinking and remembered a technique I use myself later on in Naomi's Story: if there is an obvious villain, that opens up more space within a shorter time frame to have more good vs. good or gray vs. gray conflict among the "good" characters, and more evil vs. evil and dark gray vs. dark gray between the "bad" characters. As it stands in Legend of Korra, a rather large conflict between what's-her-name, Mako, and Korra is being set up, and Mako's behavior hints, at least to me, that the outcome of this love triangle is not going to be as simple as it seems. Also, I don't think Tarlok is going to give up because he lost his bending. Based on his personality so far, and how much he did without his bending, he's got more tricks up his sleeves.

That said, and some of my faith in this show restored, I still find it kind of funny that Legend of Korra is supposed to be darker than Last Airbender, unless the ending turns out more bleak than I'm expecting.

And on a completely unrelated note, I saw Bacon's post and thought, all right, I'll check back tomorrow. Then Seefy posted and I was all happy face.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I think the only reason why I dislike The Legend of Korra is because its miniseries status. The shorter a series/story is, the less time there is for character concentration. Korra, in order to stay engaging to audiences, is largely plot-based instead of character-based (which I'm not used to in ATLA). I kiiinda prefer character-based stories more, but yeah. It's not a bad thing, per se, but it's just different. I think that season 2 will have more character development, especially as Korra becomes more spiritual and starts to learn airbending.

Quote Originally Posted by My friend
    I just walked in on my dad watching Korra. I asked him why he was watching it and he gave me this indignant look and said, "Because I /like/ it." welp.
    ^ LOL
    Her dad is like 60-something years old. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon_Barbarian View Post
    Zuko's old VA is suppose to show up in Skeletons in the Closet.
    Dante "Rufio" Basco? Awesome.

Dante Basco is a really cool person because of the involvement he has with his fans. He likes to talk to them, take their suggestions, and such. It's so great.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    I think the only reason why I dislike The Legend of Korra is because its miniseries status. The shorter a series/story is, the less time there is for character concentration. Korra, in order to stay engaging to audiences, is largely plot-based instead of character-based (which I'm not used to in ATLA). I kiiinda prefer character-based stories more, but yeah. It's not a bad thing, per se, but it's just different. I think that season 2 will have more character development, especially as Korra becomes more spiritual and starts to learn airbending.
    FLCL only has 6 episodes and its perfect.

FLCL also has a really different storytelling style. The Lorax is like 20, maybe 30 pages and is perfect.

Yeah, its different. But they accomplished to make a solid story in 6 episodes. The problem with korra, is that they thought in the same formula for Aang story but now in one season of 10 episodes, which is ridiculous. If you are making a serie of 10 episodes, then you must know what you can do and how you can do it to make a solid story.

There is one episode left, and we all know how its going to end. We all know that the love triangle is horrible (if you don't, just think that there is one episode left) and that Korra still hasn't made any statement that made us back up her actions.

The serie is not horrible by any mean, but its neither great, it just stand on mediocrity and really, the 9,3 on imdb for the serie only stands because of the fans.

Guys, I really like the animation and that's just what's bringing me back right now. Episode 8 was great, but the follow up kinda killed my excitement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conversation
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE YO KIDS
    Sylux: WHAT ABOOT MY WIFE?
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE JAI

That's one thing that Avatar always had, great animation.

Quote Originally Posted by Clock
    There is one episode left
    Wait, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Avatar Wiki
    The Legend of Korra
    Book One: Air (气)
    101. "Welcome to Republic City"
    102. "A Leaf in the Wind"
    103. "The Revelation"
    104. "The Voice in the Night"
    105. "The Spirit of Competition"
    106. "And the Winner Is..."
    107. "The Aftermath"
    108. "When Extremes Meet"
    109. "Out of the Past"
    110. "Turning the Tides"
    111. "Skeletons in the Closet"
    112. "Endgame"
    Am I missing something here? If there's only one episode left, yeah, the writers are gonna have a heck of a time trying to deliver a satisfying ending.

That aside, 10 episodes is actually a perfect setup for a strong story. Me and Kierra were actually talking about that awhile back. I'll see if I can find the email...

Found it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kierra
    And typically good plots had about 10 scenes (like checkpoints, not necessarily 10 settings that had to be used one at a time), where as B-movie plots had about 15 or more. The more scenes there were, the harder the story was to follow.
    Twelve episodes isn't bad, and there certainly aren't more than fifteen major plot points in Korra (yet). I don't think there are even ten yet. Frankly, though, Korra's story isn't set up in a way that a tenth episode could deliver a satisfying ending, even if they employ the use of the Hollywood Formula.

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kierra's friend
    I just walked in on my dad watching Korra. I asked him why he was watching it and he gave me this indignant look and said, "Because I /like/ it." welp.
    Not too surprising. I only started watching Last Airbender a month or so ago and was/am completely in love with it. Isn't the mark of a good all-ages story its ability to be enjoyed by all ages, not just young kids?
    Last edited by Matt; 06-11-2012 at 04:41 PM.