Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031
Results 301 to 306 of 306

Thread: New Last Airbender Series (trailer included)

  1. #301
    999 Knights Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,357
    My downloads didn't even start when I tried to get 11 and 12, so I had to watch it on some site where it was horrible quality and cut out the last five minutes.

    SPOILER! :
    I find myself agreeing with Clock with just a bit of deviation (I find the last episodes mediocre, but not horrible). Korra losing her bending was a moment that even shocked me; I sincerely thought Mako would get a round of lightning off at the last second. Then, when she discovered airbending, I thought it made sense: Amon would have never faced an airbender before (his goons probably captured Tenzin's family). Therefore, would he know how to fight one? That said, I think he did lose a bit too easily. One could argue that he was weakened by Mako's lightning, but really? The final moment with them hugging in the tower is underwhelming at best because it didn't feel like a proper victory.

    Now let's talk about Asami, and I think this is just about the only cliche this show broke: Asami ended up not betraying her friends to her dad. It kind of surprised me, but just like Amon's defeat, it was extremely underwhelming. I regret to say that I don't really understand why it was underwhelming. Maybe it was a lack of intensity in the fight? But really, that could be applied to any of the final episode's fights. Nothing was all that intense for some reason.

    Next, there's Korra's lost bending. She reacts to it the way I thought she would, having been raised her whole life as the Avatar, the only person in the world who could master all four elements. So I understood her being upset about it. Rejecting her friends and running off to be alone, I don't think fit as well as a more humble response, considering the first time she was scared she hugged Tenzin and cried. That was a good moment that I thought was a good character development point for her, but despite a hotheaded personality, it just doesn't seem like running off to be alone was the right reaction. I can't really explain it. It just didn't work for me.

    Now, getting her bending back. Since my Internet died on me and I didn't see the last 5 minutes, and given what Clock said, I agree. Like the rest of the final episode, restoring Korra's bending and giving her the power to give it back to others completely nullified the sacrifices everyone else made and removes any confidence I had that Korra was even nearly as good as Last Airbender.

    Not horrible in my opinion, but very close. Of course, it's in the uncomfortable position of being watched just after Fellowship of the Ring, but I don't think that's too big a part of it.

  2. #302
    Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Elizabeth's Court
    Posts
    5,765
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    I don't know how you consider your bad taste and the one of your friends as "funny".
    Back 'atha.

    SPOILER! :
    I do not think Korra's regained bending was too bad. Tapping into her past lives and being able to energybend herself is fine. Doing it to others though does admittedly cheapen the act of them losing it in the first place, for Lin especially, but for the most part it's there to make the audience feel good. She's the Avatar. She can help people. She's doing her job. You've been ruined by learning how to analyze the writing. You need to be able to ignore that. Especially since, like it or not, this is being aimed at a younger audience.

    Korra getting past bloodbending is sort of dumb, but as Matt pointed out, Amon has no experience fighting an airbender. Additionally he lost his acolytes. We all saw what happened when the Lieutenant came at him. While the Lt. was no mach for Amon any of his subordinates in the tanks ... That's another story.

    I don't give two fucks about the shipping. Bolin will probably end up with Asami though. That's my prediction. They had a nice chemistry when they were together. I also fail to see how Korra is a douchebag. She was contemplating killing herself so that she could be reincarnated as a new avatar with access to all bending styles so she could help protect people. What a douchebag.
    My CC thread - Updated 01/30/14
    My AA thread - Updated 03/04/14

  3. #303
    Palindrome Member ClockHand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    SPOILER! :
    Then, when she discovered airbending, I thought it made sense: Amon would have never faced an airbender before (his goons probably captured Tenzin's family).
    SPOILER! :
    Yes, he fought Tenzin before, and Amon's father is prove enough that you don't need to know other people bending to do bloodbending. Also weird that Lin destroyed every ship, still Tenzin got captured.


    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    SPOILER! :
    Now let's talk about Asami, and I think this is just about the only cliche this show broke: Asami ended up not betraying her friends to her dad. It kind of surprised me, but just like Amon's defeat, it was extremely underwhelming. I regret to say that I don't really understand why it was underwhelming. Maybe it was a lack of intensity in the fight? But really, that could be applied to any of the final episode's fights. Nothing was all that intense for some reason.
    SPOILER! :
    Asami is basically the best female character. She is indeed strong, independent, need no man, and she is emotional strong and knows what she wants. If you ask me, she is what Korra tried to be or pretend to be from the beginning. And I liked that she fought her dad (I knew she wouldn't betray anyone, because it was already to late on the story to do that), but the fight was poorly done in the mean that it was mostly her dad talking and she never gave any reply, any statement that proved his ideology was wrong. It wasn't a true moment of a daughter confronting his father to take him back, it was a moment of a dad trying to take back her daughter, but Asami was the most important character, not her father, and so it become a conflict between what we expected and what was delivered. This was probably the strongest point in a forest of weakness on the episode.


    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    SPOILER! :
    Next, there's Korra's lost bending. She reacts to it the way I thought she would, having been raised her whole life as the Avatar, the only person in the world who could master all four elements. So I understood her being upset about it. Rejecting her friends and running off to be alone, I don't think fit as well as a more humble response, considering the first time she was scared she hugged Tenzin and cried. That was a good moment that I thought was a good character development point for her, but despite a hotheaded personality, it just doesn't seem like running off to be alone was the right reaction. I can't really explain it. It just didn't work for me.
    SPOILER! :
    Korra reactions was from someone who was diagnosed with a lethal illness and had 3 days of life. Again, it just prove to well Amon's point without reafirming a new ideology that confront the ones of Amon. If she accepted her new status, if she said "you know, I'm going to be prove that bending is not that important, that I can still be the avatar, even so I just can airbend" it would be a prove not just for the people in the story, but also us, that being not able to bend is not a big deal, and its also something to embrasse without bullshiting others. Even so, she had friends, and they could have made the lord of ring "Bolin: You have my earth. Mako: You have my fire. and Asami: you have my skills". But again, the serie has only proved us how Amon was right, and never gave us an argument against his ideas



    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon_Barbarian View Post
    SPOILER! :
    I do not think Korra's regained bending was too bad. Tapping into her past lives and being able to energybend herself is fine.
    SPOILER! :
    Yeah, its possible, cheap for my taste and annoying as it lost the weight on losing the bending.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon_Barbarian View Post
    SPOILER! :
    She's the Avatar. She can help people. She's doing her job. You've been ruined by learning how to analyze the writing. You need to be able to ignore that. Especially since, like it or not, this is being aimed at a younger audience.
    SPOILER! :
    So your argument is basically "be ignorant and enjoy"? Also are you aware that Pixar's movies are aimed for kids, and still delivery powerful movie animations?


    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon_Barbarian View Post
    SPOILER! :
    Korra getting past bloodbending is sort of dumb, but as Matt pointed out, Amon has no experience fighting an airbender.
    SPOILER! :
    Yes he have, he already fought Tenzu before, and he won. Also bloodbending for what I could see have nothing to do with "knowing how the other attacks", as you have complete control over their movements. Prove of this was his father who basically screw Aang (the only airbender at that moment) and who was only defeated because Aang entered in avatar state, which is OP ADMIN MOD Mode.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon_Barbarian View Post
    SPOILER! :
    Additionally he lost his acolytes. We all saw what happened when the Lieutenant came at him. While the Lt. was no mach for Amon any of his subordinates in the tanks ... That's another story.
    SPOILER! :
    Another story not related to the problem.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon_Barbarian View Post
    SPOILER! :
    I don't give two fucks about the shipping. Bolin will probably end up with Asami though. That's my prediction. They had a nice chemistry when they were together.
    SPOILER! :
    What chemistry? the same that Bolin have with Korra? The fact is that the writers put a romance story, but they didn't care to make the romance work. They didn't care about Asami, Bolin and so on. And this is awful, Korra and Mako are the example of Romeo and Juliet, two people that because of their hornyness practically sacrificed everyone. This is why Korra is a douchebag.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon_Barbarian View Post
    SPOILER! :
    I also fail to see how Korra is a douchebag. She was contemplating killing herself so that she could be reincarnated as a new avatar with access to all bending styles so she could help protect people. What a douchebag.
    SPOILER! :
    Taking other person lover, doing reckless stuffs that put other people in danger, "bending is not bad, its cool", still not asking for forgiveness to Asami, who basically screw her entire life and took her boyfriend, etc. If you don't think Korra is an asshole, then you better check yourself. Also, thinking in killing herself is the biggest prove of her douchebaging, it just prove that she only cared about herself, that having no bending is equally to be death (which again, was the whole fight made by Amon against no bender discrimination), that she keep thinking that with no bending she deserve no one, and so on, suicide is completely selfish by every mean.

  4. #304
    999 Knights Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,357
    SPOILER! :
    I completely forgot that Amon fought Tenzin. Sorry about that.

    Also, yeah, Korra is aimed at younger kids, but the problem seems to be it's only aimed at younger kids. Last Airbender was aimed at all ages. I still hold that there is a difference between "all-ages" media and "kids'" media. As Clock said, Pixar does all-ages movies wonderfully.

    Becoming analytical about writing does make it more difficult to enjoy certain things, but if you can analyze a show's writing and not enjoy the show anymore, it's probably not worth your time. I analyzed Fellowship of the Ring for the entire day after I watched it. It was, and still is, one of my favorite movies of all time. I analyzed Korra, and at first, I liked it. I liked how the 20's setting was utilized and made interesting, but it soon became clear that the new writers were nowhere near Last Airbender's writers. This started with Korra's "intuition" telling her that Asami's dad was a bad guy all along, when his excuse was perfectly acceptable. Have I mentioned how much I hate "intuitive" characters who can "somehow know" when their friends are in danger, or if a plan will work, or if a misunderstanding is actually not a misunderstanding?

    That's weak writing. Intuition is an easy (and easily identifiable) cop-out for actually giving characters working logic.

  5. #305
    SPOILER! :
    "This started with Korra's "intuition" telling her that Asami's dad was a bad guy all along, when his excuse was perfectly acceptable."

    You can actually see some of this in Last Airbender, close to the end of Book 2, when Jet was brainwashed by the Dai Li. After Toph finds out that neither Jet, nor the other freedom fighters were lying, Sokka quickly jumps to the conclusion that he was brainwashed? I mean he was right, but that's still a pretty big leap in logic. the only thing that bugged me in Korra was the season finale ending leading up to Korra getting her bending back. In short, there's a ton of bad writing in both shows, but Last Airbender showed the most between the two.
    Last edited by Mr_Henry; 06-25-2012 at 09:05 AM.

  6. #306
    Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,080
    Yo, Matt, the recent Korra episodes are on Nickelodeon's website, and even all of the Avatar ones, too.

    As far as this episode goes, I am

    un
    im
    pressed

    SPOILER! :
    Also, why is it that the womanizer always wins. I'm not really a shipper, but I do say that someone should call Mako out about being a butthole for longer than a sentence. This love arc is going to kill me, because that's not what real love is like (and if this is a kids' show, then THIS IS A HORRIBLE EXAMPLE FOR LITTLE GIRLS TO FOLLOW).

    I don't care about Bolin or Asami or whatever. It's just that I'm disappointed that this happened without at least an apology from Mako. If he was like, "Hey, I was a craphead, and my X/Y/Z reasoning was horrible, and I need o make it up to you both," then it'd be at least okay or passable. But this new development is just flat-out gross because it's a bad example for its target audience.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •