Thread: Any info on how to apply for a Graduate Degree in the US

Hybrid View

Any info on how to apply for a Graduate Degree in the US

I'm doing a research and I hope that those of you here in the US would be able to give me some more information as I'm a bit lost. I want to apply for a graduate degree in an university here (SUNY At Buffalo). I'm reading their website for the past few days and I get more and more confused. It's a bit different than the process in my country.

So far I've found out that:
    - I am eligable to Federal Student Aid. (Probably the Stafford Loan.);
    - I may be able to get a reduced in-state tuition;
    - I have to take "Test of English as a Foreign Language" (TOEFL) or IELTS;
    - I have to take GRE;
    - I have to submit recommendations. (wonder if they can also be from employers)

I think I have most documents from my previous University that they may require and I have them translated into English.

Now I wonder what is the difference between FullTime and PartTime studing. If for example I'm in Fulltime how possible it seem for me to be able to work fulltime. My work is very flexible in terms of hours. I think I'd have to make atleast 30 hours/week. Not sure if my employer will like the idea of me working partime.

I hope to get some loan and convince my employer to help me with my tuition.

If you can give me any usefull information you know. For example what is that GRE test. Is it hard and when shall I take it? I already know about the TOEFL and believe my english is more than enought to pass that test.
    Last edited by violin; 07-22-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by violin View Post
    Now I wonder what is the difference between FullTime and PartTime studing. If for example I'm in Fulltime how possible it seem for me to be able to work fulltime. My work is very flexible in terms of hours. I think I'd have to make atleast 30 hours/week. Not sure if my employer will like the idea of me working partime.
    This is literally just how many hours you have or how many classes you are taking. You could possibly work full time and study full time but the work load would probably be insane. That's a great way to lose sleep. I've studied full time and worked about 32 hours a week, and I survived. You won't be doing much else though.

Well I kind-a survived for a 4 years bachelors degree. I was about 4-6 hours at school and 4 hours at work per day. Then I went out with frineds and after that I had to do projects and stuffs till midnight.
    Also if there are classes in Saturday/Sunday it would be very nice, because I don't work on those days.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    The term you should use in regards to your employer paying your tuition is tuition reimbursement. Some companies have a program set up for it and some do not. It doesn't hurt to ask so go for it! Any little bit helps.

As Jubeh said, FT students just happen to take more classes - usually around 18 credits +/- or about 6 classes. PT students take a fraction of that. Classes can be held during the day but for graduate students, most tend to work around working adults and classes are held mainly during the evening and weekends. Some are accelerated courses as well where classes are done several times a week but it's over after two months compared to the regular one-day-a-week class that's over in three months or so.

As for the GRE - no clue what it's about but I assume it'll test you on the basics like English, grammar, math, etc. If anything, go to the local library ask for GRE test books. That way you get to see some sample tests and know what it will be about. Ask if they have a TOEFL exam book too. They may something like that in their collection.

I did some research about GRE and TOEFL. The math in GRE looks very easy for me. Looks easier than the exams I had to take for my undergraduate degree. Other things are logical questions. And then there is that Computer Science Subject.

What's scared me a lot is the TOEFL. The school I want to study at has a very high requirement for that test. Most foreigners I've talked with have transferred from a different school as they were unable to score that high. I've been studying English for all my life but I don't think I can score that high on that test
    Well I'll still try and I may have lock and get the required points.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Full-time as defined by the federal student aid providers is a sum of 12 credits or more. If you have 12 credits, then you are eligible for the full amount of student aid you're offered. Any less and the amount you get is reduced. Also, working full-time is typically considered to be 40 hours a week. 9-to-5 is p. much the standard fulltime job.

If you want to knock out credits and earn money at the same time, consider a paid internship in your field of study.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 07-26-2011 at 02:57 AM.