Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: watercolors

watercolors

recently ive picked up watercolors. I'm really struggling, and I'm wondering how I could combine the manga and anime style with watercolors.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    It's pretty easy, imo. What I did (I was actually commissioned to make a Fuma watercolor way back when) was draw lightly on pencil the character. From there, I just colored the sections with watercolor. That's basically it. For something controlled like that, don't use/put a lot of water on your brush. It'll bleed off too much and it'll spoil the image.

I don't know a lot about watercolors, but we worked with them a tiny bit in an art class I took. It's a lot easier to control where the colors go if you paint the water on the page before you put color on the brush. I found that to be the best way for me, even though I'm not sure if that's how people usually do it...

I'm sure you could easily use watercolors for manga. I made quite a few cartoon-y style pictures during my brief stint with watercolors, but it definitely helps to sketch your idea out with pencil first.

That's interesting - painting water on the paper first. That's the first I've heard of that technique. I guess it boils down to whatever feels more comfortable for you.

Yah, it helped me stay in the lines I drew a lot easier, but I am also a beginner at using watercolors. To each his own. : )

101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    That's interesting - painting water on the paper first. That's the first I've heard of that technique. I guess it boils down to whatever feels more comfortable for you.
    It gives you nice soft edges if you wet the page first, great for skies!

At the op, watercolors aren't actually that difficult. Limit your colour palet with them though. Don't charge in with reds greens pinks yellows blues. Pay attention to the colour chart (or your knowledge if you know it) because with watercolors, having complimenting colors is key.

Another thing is don't be afraid to take your time, alot of people think watercolors have to be done fast. They can be done fast with good result but there's nothing wrong with slowing down and using 3 or 4 layers of paint to get the effect just right.

Thanks. I'll try out what you said bambi

I haven't been able to buy any. I've just been borrowing from a friend.
    I'm not really sure what colors I should get..

You can at least get the basics - red, yellow, blue, white and black. For green, orange, purple, magenta, pink, etc you can mix the basic colors. C: