Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Panzer Dragoon lives!

What concern me if is their concept it's still the same as the one they use for the Sega. Even if that game was good, then if there is no improvement on the concept and gameplay mechanic you are delivering in this new gen, well it can be bad.

No suda 51 makes me a sad panda

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Maybe they should just go with another Panzer Dragoon Saga instead. Except with a deeper battle system.

Chumps say that their will be a dragon 'taming' mechanic similar to Black & White or The Last Gaurdian, but really that is the only detail that has been released to far, or at least that I can google up. Since this was sort of included in Saga to a very minor degree, though, my guess is that it will be the most similar to that out of any of the games...

Which is fine by me, personally. It had a WAY deeper battle system than alot of modern RPGs anyway.

What concern me if is their concept it's still the same as the one they use for the Sega. Even if that game was good, then if there is no improvement on the concept and gameplay mechanic you are delivering in this new gen, well it can be bad.
    That hardly stops Call of Duty or Halo from getting very far... But yeah, I know what you mean. The second reason I think this will be an 'action RPG' rather than a rail shooter is because, well, nobody buys rail shooters anymore anyway, regardless of quality. Orta did badly for a reason.

Doesn't mean that 100% of the tried, tested and loved mechanics should be thrown out of the window, mind. The Kinnect part is what I'm worried the most about.
    Last edited by Regantor; 07-25-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    That hardly stops Call of Duty or Halo from getting very far... But yeah, I know what you mean. The second reason I think this will be an 'action RPG' rather than a rail shooter is because, well, nobody buys rail shooters anymore anyway, regardless of quality. Orta did badly for a reason.

Doesn't mean that 100% of the tried, tested and loved mechanics should be thrown out of the window, mind.
    Yeah but the gap of time that Call of Duty and Halo launch new games is not the same as this one.
    And yeah, rail shooters were awesome back then, but the question is: Can they sell now? and that's the problem here, the gap of time between the old and this one is extremely big, the game industry has changed and the consumers with it. Selling a game that stay in time it's way more harder now than back then, reason why we see less creativity on game development for big companies (because ones you have the franchise you want to make a durability on time).

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I think there was a Sega Saturn version. I remember seeing it in this trailer on a demo disc. Always wanted to play this game, but damn it was effing hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    I think there was a Sega Saturn version. I remember seeing it in this trailer on a demo disc. Always wanted to play this game, but damn it was effing hard to find.
    They were all sega saturn only at first, but the first game (and maybe zwei?) got ported to the PC and PS2 later... Saga, on the other hand, is now known to sell for like $500 on ebay because not many copies were made and the source code went missing. >_>

Yeah but the gap of time that Call of Duty and Halo launch new games is not the same as this one. And yeah, rail shooters were awesome back then, but the question is: Can they sell now? and that's the problem here, the gap of time between the old and this one is extremely big, the game industry has changed and the consumers with it. Selling a game that stay in time it's way more harder now than back then, reason why we see less creativity on game development for big companies (because ones you have the franchise you want to make a durability on time).
    I was more making a joke about the fact that they release next-year sequels to those two series constantly, lul...

But about rail shooters, yeah, like I said, they aren't that popular anymore. I fully expect this to be quite differant. I'm not a total nostalgia freak, and even I found the 'legendarily awesome best shooter ever' Radiant Silvergun tedious as hell... But that doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to seeing some of the old game funk that I know and love being properly rehashed by a person who clearly knows what they are doing, and actually cares about the product.

Like everything nowadays, I fully expect to see a miss-mash of genres somewhere inbetween. Not even sharing the same plot, most of the team members, or even the series name, I think we can be sure it will be.

Will it make money?... Probally not in heaps. But if it's all the same, I'd rather buy a decent game for once, thanks, regardless of an instant sequel. This constant cycle of constantly rehashing the same thing is going to stop fooling the general public at some point, and if there is absolutely zilch in the way of little gems like No More Heroes and Vanquish out there at the time, smeg knows what will happen to the industry as a whole...

Sin and Punishment Star Successor proves that rail shooters can be successful.

I'll admit; I haven't played either that or Child of Eden yet. Had no idea they were even rail shooters until now... >_>

Also; Just went back and played the version of the original Panzer Dragon that comes with Orta, and I gotta say... It's a pants port. Very slippery controls and kinda juddery graphics in places. The saturn version of the original (which is very easy to find) is a hundred times better. No wonder nobody ever backtracks.

Do yourself a favor and play the first Sin and Punishment. Easily the best rail shooter ever made.

Also, house of the dead games are always popular at arcades, as well as the various Time Crises. The issue with porting these to home consoles is that you don't get a light-gun, which is half the experience for some people. REZ is also very well-received, though I've never played it myself.