Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This Manga Needs More Love!

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar

This Manga Needs More Love!

This thread is for recommending under-the-radar manga (i.e. no popular series please!) that you love and you think others should read as well. Spread the love doods!

Something I've read recently: Aiki (18+ readers only) by Isutoshi. It's a martial arts manga with some comedy thrown in. The main character reminds me of Hiruma from Eyeshield 21 for those familiar with that series so no weak-willed main character here folks.

Give These Manga Some Love List:
    A Girls (18+)
    Aiki (18+)
    Amazing Agent Luna
    Angel Beats
    Bambino! (18+)
    Banana no Nana (18+)
    Birdy the Mighty
    B Reaction (18+)
    Chii's Sweet Home
    Crows (sequel is Worst)
    Cage of Eden
    Demon Eyes Kyo
    Dorohedoro
    Double Arts
    Eternal Sabbath
    A Fairytale for the Demon Lord
    A Flame Inferno
    Franken Fran (18+)
    Hakuto no Ken
    Hayate x Blade
    Historie
    Hoozuki no Shima
    Id
    Jiraishin (18+)
    Jumbor
    Kami-sama no Iutoori
    Kingdom
    Kongou Banchou
    Legend of Tyr
    My Balls (18+!!!)
    My Girl
    Mysterious Girlfriend X
    My Two Wings (18+)
    Nanatsu no Taizai (aka Seven Deadly Sins)
    No Bra
    Onani Master Kurosawa (18+)
    Onepunch-Man
    Otaku no Musume-San
    Othello
    Princess Resurrection
    Ryuuroden
    Saint Young Men
    Shingeki no Kyojin
    Shut Hell (18+)
    Soten Kouro
    Sumire 17-Sai (also Sumire 16-Sai)
    Sun-Ken Rock
    Tende Freeze (18+)
    Teppu
    Uchuu Kyoudai (aka Space Brothers)
    Vampire Doll Guilt-Na-Zan
    Yotsuba&!
    ____________ <---- your fave under-the-radar series here

Jiraishin, i'm not sure if this is unpopular enough to be here, but i haven't seen any people who've read it (i'm sorry if it shouldn't be here). jiraishin is a detective seinen manga, and it is the best i've read so far. the amazing thing about it is not complex cases (it doesn't have any), it's the main character, unlike other detectives in mangas, the one here does not solve cases with brilliant deductions, he does it with lethal force. it's a really great manga, i recommend checking it out if you haven't already.

and another one is Eternal Sabbath. though it's not really that impressive IMO, it's a good read for people who like psychological stories...

Soten Kouro is the Romance of the Three Kingdoms with Cao Cao has the protagonist. It's a manga where a dude just says and does crazy shit non-stop yet nobody cares about it. What's the deal bros. You don't even have to be familiar with the three kingdoms.

Crows/Worst is a yankii manga about a school that is simply unconquerable. Dudes that would be banchos at other schools are just normal dudes here. To be the best fighter means to be the worst. Crows is the first series about an aloof dbag named Bouya who is absurdly strong but doesn't care about taking over schools or dumb shit like that. Worst is the next part about a country boy named Hana who ends up fighting his way to the top without even realizing it. There are also two prequel films called Crows Zero directed by Takashi Miike.

Double Art.

Oh wait, it die because no one read it...

Hayate X Blade (read: Hayate Cross Blade). I think this one is a shonen manga, though all the characters are all girls (since the setting is an all-girl high school anyway). In this manga, it's all about action... a sword-fighting action to be exact. In this school, you could be a sword-bearer, someone who fight alongside with a partner, fighting against another pair in randomly-initiated time (marked by a giant bell ringing).

The main character is an idiot and a pervert (in this manga, it's a lethal combination). But she's also a very capable swordsman. What makes this manga unique is the (plenty) dose of good humor and sword-swinging action. Too bad it's not really popular. At least it still doesn't have any anime and not many people talk about this one in other forum (and this one).

Interesting to be noted that each chapter title have a word "idiot" in them. Here's some examples:
    - "Idiocy Cannot Be Cured No Matter How Many Times You Try"
    - "The Idiot Latecomer"
    - "Companions in Idiocy"
    - "Sins and Idiots"
    - "Idiots Move Three Steps Forward and Two Steps Back"

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    Double Art.

Oh wait, it die because no one read it...

They cancelled a wonderful series by a wonderful artist/author.

SHINGEKI NO KYOJIN (currently topping the charts in Japan and for a good reason.)
    Shut Hell
    These are wonderful series that more people need to look at. Both are pretty violent, but it really adds to the intensity of their stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    Something I've read recently: Aiki (18+ readers only) by Isutoshi.
    Speaking of Isutoshi (fan of most of his stuff Aiki being the only dislike for me)

Tende Freeze (18+?)
    Koyuki has the power to see the future, but she can only see the unfortunate things that happen to people. Until the day she meets Umehachi, a high school senior... Fanservice, mayhem, and hilarity ensues.
    not anything great or life changing but rather funny and with a good ending.

Some other non-Isutoshi suggestions (i'd like to make some more of those but i feel like i might already be pushing it with some of these)

A Girls (18+)
    Kazao lives at an orphanage on a seemingly deserted island with a handful of other kids. One night he dreams of being in a motorcycle accident, shortly after which his parents are found and he is sent to live with them. What follows is an interesting if sometimes bizarre mystery story.

MY BALLS (18+!!!)
    When Kouhta in a drunken stupor stumbles into the middle of an epic battle between good and evil, a series of odd events sees the queen of demons sealed in his testicle. He must avoid releasing her for 30 days or else humanity is going to be destroyed. Bizarre, idiotic and insane, all in good ways. the ending is kind of cheesy though.

Hoozuki no Shima
    After (i think) the death of their parents a boy and his blind little sister are sent to live on an a small orphanage on a picturesque island. However things seem to be much darker than they appear on this island and all the childrens lives may be astake.

Bambino! (18+)
    Shogo Ban, a college student from Fukuoka, likes to cook. Thanks to the owner of the restaurant where he works part-time, he finds himself working at the line of Roppongi's best Italian restaurant, Trattoria Baccanale, and discovers that the real deal isn't quite as easy as he'd thought. The manga follows Ban as he struggles to keep up with the hectic workload and his co-workers, along with issues outside the kitchen like his relationship with his girlfriend Eri, who he left behind in Fukuoka.
    I'll admit i haven't read it for the last 30 or so chapters (i think that where i left off) But this is a good Slice of Life Drama.

Mysterious girlfriend X
    There is a new transfer student in Tsubaki's Class. Urabe Mikoto is generally antisocial, and sleeps through class breaks. One day, after hanging out with friends after class, Tsubaki goes to get his backpack and stumbles across Urabe still sleeping in the classroom. In waking her up he ends up tasting some of here drool and becomes addicted, what follows after is a bizarre and somewhat supernatural romance.

Onani Master Kurosawa (18+)
    Everyday after school Kakeru Kurosawa sneaks into the mostly unused girls bathroom on the third floor of his school and well 'jerks it'. One day he's caught, and what follows is a tale of blackmail, love, loss, and redemption. Let's just say 'coming of age' never sounded so dirty.
    I have no problem with you spanking me. However, I have a huge problem with you not spanking me...

Banana no Nana, or Nana's Banana, is apparently somewhat like One Piece, but with a (mostly) girls cast, a heroine who uses banana superpowers, and a moe art style. Coming from someone who could never get into One Piece because of the oddball art style and characters, this is awesome, at least for me.

The storyline: Nana and her friend Ringo make a promise to be adventurers together when they get older. Then, Nana's dad disappears while on an adventure and the entire village starts to shun adventurers. Ringo is flamed for her dreams, and over a few years, conforms to the villagers' demands. The story starts when both girls are 16, and Nana wants to go on an adventure to find the land of Oz (sound familiar?). Ringo refuses at first, and then one of the powerful people in the village floods Nana's house and tries to kill her as she leaves. Chaos, bananas, moe, and fanservice ensue (though, I really didn't notice the fanservice; too busy looking at cute faces to pay attention to panties or anything like that).

There are only 5 chapters out so far, and apparently no one knows where the raws are, either. I hate it when that happens.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Awww, you don't like Aiki? Ah well - to each their own. Here's another one:

Kangou Banchou
    The main character, Akira Kangou, is trying to foil the "23 District Project" which involves "banchou" (a gang leader/boss) from 23 districts of Tokyo fighting for the right to control Japan. He unwittingly becomes a banchou of one of the districts and his plight escalates as he gets deeper into fighting (and defending from) other banchou's, trying to find the people responsible for the project and stopping it. This is a good old beat-em up, martial arts, action manga. Very little romance. Jokes here and there. Lots of interesting characters, abilities, and did I mention fighting?

Why is that some people have to be sooooo big in Kongou Banchou? What did they eat to be that big, ultra-milk?

18+ topic (and spoiler):
    SPOILER! :
    And how that giant man could have children from a normal sized woman? If you know what I mean...