Thread: Hello folks!

Hello folks!

Okay, so I'm Black Shaggie. I used to come to this site for tutorials a while back, but I decided to actually join today for some reason. What I'm seeing here is a LOT of really talented kids doing manga, networking & growing as artists. That's awesome! You guys keep it up! The key to anyone honing whatever skill set they have is practice

I love Masamune Shirow's earlier stuff (Appleseed the 1st Ghost In the Shell manga), Hiroaki Samura's Blade of the Immortal, Yukito Kishiro's Gunm (Battle Angel Alita). Why? Because of the loose & sketchy style of course. It's my belief that, although manga & anime DO have a certain set of key strokes & lines that comprise the genre, everything dosen't have to be super polished like most of the popular methods used.

I remember when I was younger, trying to draw Robotech or Dedlit from Lodoss War & would get frustrated until I saw a copy of Kazuo Koike's Lone Wolf & Cub at my local comic shop. It blew my mind because this great manga artist did things with lines that you wouldn't expect & the gritty realism of his work made the story come alive.

So...that's what I aspire to do with my work! Sometimes messy is good when well thought out.

Anyways, I was hoping to find some adults to network with here too, so if anyone wants to talk about stuff or maybe want to start something new I'm open for suggestions. I'm in a good place right now to actually get some stuff published (after I do the work I've been contracted to do of course) & I want to make sure that I do things right! I also have a dream to launch more than one title so if anyone wants to talk about this stuff let me know.

And yes...'Black Shaggie' is some weird alter ego of Shaggy form the Scooby Doo. It's a nickname that I got as a kid that just stuck.
    Last edited by Black_Shaggie; 07-22-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Hey Black Shaggie, welcome to the site! I think it's pretty cool you found the style that works and speaks to you and that you're moving forward with it and entering the manga publishing world. I'd love to see your work as I am a fan of Gunnm (I'm so glad he continued the series!).

Personally, I think art is art and manga is manga no matter how it is presented whether it's the popular polished look or sketchier work from the artists you mentioned. My belief is that the art style should reflect and change with the mood you're trying to portray on your work whether it's a manga, video game, movie, and so on. For example, Alice in Wonderland (cartoon) by Disney is not the same as Alice in Wonderland by Tim Burton. As another example, I've read a graphic novel called Blankets. Most of it was pretty tame, line art wise but there was a part where the line art became all jagged and more expressive and raw - that change in itself conveys the change in the mood and emotions of the character.

I can go on but I think it's best to continue discussions in one of the other areas of the forum. I'll see you around! C:

1st:damn! it wasn't bugs bunny...

2nd:are you the alter ego of some dude named shaggy?

3rd:welcome to MT, hope you have a good time...

Thanks for the welcome Rio! Like I siad...I love this place & it's great to hear that you feel the same as i do about art in general. I recently published a book for Lost Batalion Games, but it isn't manga (yet). My team doesn't like manga as much as I do so I had to do a traditional one. Since I'm new, it's not the best...plus the writer was used to writing movie scripts & I had trouble with the visual direction. If LBG will permit me (since it's thier property now), I'll upload it here foe all to see. I'm still learning even at 38, and with a networking place like this, I can only get better. Thanks for such a great site!

It's funny you mention the Shaggy thing. We'll I am African-American, and when I was a kid, people said I looked lik Shaggy from the Scooby Doo cartoon. I even had a green v-neck t-shirt a pair of brown pants I wore all the time! The nickname 'Black Shaggie' just stuck over the years I guess.

Anyways. thanks for the welcome!

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    That'll be cool if we can see your work but if you can't post it for legal reasons - don't worry about it. Anywhooo, art is a continual learning process. I bet you'll still be learning once you become a senior! xD

Btw - please use the Edit Post button on the lower right side of your post if you wish to add any additional text instead of adding another post. Double posting is frowned upon here at this forum.

Welcome to MT i'm looking forward to seeing your art.