Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: Being Nerd to Being Cool

  1. #21
    Fenn
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    And this audience start believing they know something about comic books just for having watched Wolverine Origins.
    THIS is where we agree. The big problem I have with the casual comic/gaming crowd is with those who think they are a super-nerd just by watching the film. If you are a fair-weather nerd, act like one, don't pretend to have this vast, deep, long-lived affection with a certain character or story after you see the movie.

  2. #22
    Lord of Death jubeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    12,689
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    THIS is where we agree. The big problem I have with the casual comic/gaming crowd is with those who think they are a super-nerd just by watching the film. If you are a fair-weather nerd, act like one, don't pretend to have this vast, deep, long-lived affection with a certain character or story after you see the movie.
    Who even cares about this weird straw man.

    Also read this again and try to realize how I read this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    The big problem I have with the casual comic/gaming crowd is
    RAHHH THOSE DAMN CASUALS.

    You sound like they're barbarian invaders from the north that you choose to tolerate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    with those who think they are a super-nerd just by watching the film.
    YOU COULDN'T POSSIBLY MATCH MY PROWESS YOU PUNY MOVIE-GOER.

    The problem you're having here isn't related to movies or comics or anything really. Some people get excited about new things and want to talk about them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    If you are a fair-weather nerd, act like one, don't pretend to have this vast, deep, long-lived affection with a certain character or story after you see the movie.
    KNOW YOUR PLACE PEASANT.

    At this point we have no idea what you are arguing about. You created a fictional know it all who you are clearly superior to because you know more about comics?

  3. #23
    Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,317
    Jubeh, I get what you're trying to say, but Fenn has a point.

    You don't "know calculus" just because you learned how to find derivatives. Similarly, you don't "know X-men" just because you watched the movies. Whereas a lot of casuals base their knowledge of the entire series off of what they draw from the movies, that doesn't make them fans of anything BUT the movies. It doesn't make them "X-Men fans", because that would entail knowing about and enjoying X-men in its entirety, or at least a majority of it

    Also, you can blame Hot Topic for retro-grade fashion statements ala Boba Fett T-shirts.

  4. #24
    Lord of Death jubeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    12,689
    And once again I ask why you care? Who cares if some guy goes around claiming to be an expert on italian cooking after eating spaghetti? Yes we all dislike when people are silly. Can we move on?

  5. #25
    Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,317
    I'm not claiming to care or not care. But you can't write Fenn off like some kind of ideological bigot because he does. It's not wrong to care/worry about something you are supposedly deeply involved with. In this case, it would be the fanbase of [comic]. I'm a manga artist, so I care when manga art is given a bad name because I'm a proponent of it. Likewise, "casuals" give diehard comic fans a bad name.

    It does annoy me, though, when I try to have a conversation with someone about something they claim to "love", but it lasts like 3 minutes because they don't REALLY know about it. And you can't say that's a redeeming character trait of people, either.

  6. #26
    Lord of Death jubeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    12,689
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    I'm not claiming to care or not care. But you can't write Fenn off like some kind of ideological bigot because he does. It's not wrong to care/worry about something you are supposedly deeply involved with.
    It really has nothing to do with how invested or involved you are in something. It's not a trait inherent to comics or movies or anything. This happens in all walks of life. It's a trait developed by uninteresting people who need to give themselves value. Nobody likes this kind of person, but there's no reason to refer to them as if they're inferior in some way.

    Especially since it creates opportunities for new fans to get involved with something that may have slipped past their radar. I think that kind of brings us back to the original topic of people seemingly being afraid of new fans invading their fandom, but I think if everyone thought about it for more than a minute they would see why it's a good thing.

    If you think about it it's all really silly. There was even a cromartie comic about this. Couldn't find it but it's the one where the bancho who is good with computers gets a new classmate who is a computer noob but keeps inadvertently showing off his limited knowledge and impressing people.

    Also Im only calling fenn out because of the tone of his post. This really doesn't need to become a circle jerk going on about dumb casual gamers and comic movie fans.

    It does annoy me, though, when I try to have a conversation with someone about something they claim to "love", but it lasts like 3 minutes because they don't REALLY know about it. And you can't say that's a redeeming character trait of people, either.
    Its about as annoying as most small talk is, though. I'd rather get pulled into a shitty conversation about something I care about instead of having to talk to a microsoft rep about how her nail polish crackles or what the fuck.

  7. #27
    Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,317
    I don't mind small talk. It shows that people are willing to invest their time and attention in a conversation with you, even if it's about nothing important. But really that's all preferential, so whatever.

    Anyway, I think it's more justified if you're deeply involved in the matter. Like a comic book fan who regularly gets exposure to the media, at the cost of inconvenience and even --dun dun dunnn-- money should get a little more say in it, mostly because the related trends affect them more than other people. That's generally it: people who have more commitment to something should have more say in it, because it generally affects them more than others. Likewise, Hollywood decided to fk up Transformers in every possible way because their stakes in how successful the movie was were far greater than the interests of diehard fans. We're mad about it, but it makes sense from a business perspective.

    This really doesn't need to become a circle jerk going on about dumb casual gamers and comic movie fans.
    Yeah, but I'm pretty sure this is the only real purpose of this thread. Shares the fate of every Naruto thread ever made on MT. Which is why I avoided posting until now.

  8. #28
    Lord of Death jubeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    12,689
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    I don't mind small talk. It shows that people are willing to invest their time and attention in a conversation with you, even if it's about nothing important. But really that's all preferential, so whatever.
    Yeah well remember I work in retail. I've had some of the worst conversations of all time. Off topic but yeah it varies from dude to dude.

    Anyway, I think it's more justified if you're deeply involved in the matter. Like a comic book fan who regularly gets exposure to the media, at the cost of inconvenience and even --dun dun dunnn-- money should get a little more say in it, mostly because the related trends affect them more than other people. That's generally it: people who have more commitment to something should have more say in it, because it generally affects them more than others. Likewise, Hollywood decided to fk up Transformers in every possible way because their stakes in how successful the movie was were far greater than the interests of diehard fans. We're mad about it, but it makes sense from a business perspective.
    I just can't relate. I may be jaded because some of my favorite things have been violated time and time again, but it just doesn't bother me anymore. It doesn't bother me that there's a three kingdoms anime that's all fanservice and little girls. Batman x Superman yaoi doesn't bother me. It didn't bother me that keanu played constantine. I'm starting to see that I may be in the minority.

    I go in to thing expecting them to be off the wall shitty, and if it doesn't suck I'm pleasantly surprised.

    If I tried to trace it back it would most likely begin with..

    SPOILER! :

  9. #29
    Fifty Fifty Member Evil_Cake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Z'ha'dum
    Posts
    5,502
    that movie looks good 2 me

  10. #30
    Devilish Member Black_Shaggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Somewhere near the Grus Quintet
    Posts
    739
    Okay Clock Hand...you got me with this one:

    "Are you joking don't you? In the first X-Men movie professor Xavier says that he built Cerebro with the help of Magneto when he was 30. In X-Men: First Class cerebro was built by Beast. Even between movies the universe was raped."

    ...and I agree they COULD do a series & follow the comics (any of the X-Men comics) a lot better. But they never will because of what you said (& so did I to a lesser extent) about Hollywood using the medium to make money.

    I just saw Captain America tonight & it was awful. This is why I keep my comics...

    I'm must concede to your logic...because you're right. It's all abiut the money to them & they follow the trends to get that money.

    Sucks for us.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •