Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Being Nerd to Being Cool

Being Nerd to Being Cool

I think every day that pass being nerd it's more a fashion statement than just being a stupid ass hole with his head in the wrong place (beloved comics!), and I just don't get.

I'm happy in a part and in the other I'm facepalming. I'm happy because it changing the view of how nerd, geeks, gamers and such are looked, the stereotype it's changing and its evolving to something less Neanderthal than the typical addict to games and super heroes who use weird suits (the only super hero with a cool suit it's IronMan, and he had a fashion designer behind him) and it's becoming like... (would I dare to say it?)... a normal person (I did). And that's great. But I hate how everything else become more stupid and how this "fashion statement" it's destroying what I love, X-men Movies where awful, Thor was just good visually, SpiderMan was good, but Spiderman 3!!! and don't even make me talk about the Fantastic 4 and the video game movies.

I want people to remember the time you read Spiderman, when Emma Forst was in charge of the Gift School of Xavier, When you were reading Deadpool just to laugh at his popculture/random dialogues and when you felt that The Sandman was mind blowing. Every time a new movie comes out everyone is hipped about it, even the people who always though Captain America was from DC (trust me, this people exist), but who are the ones who suffer the most? who are the ones that feel the movie just rape the awesome comic it use to be? Us! and it's always the same.

And it's not just movies with comics, it's also about movies and video games, and literature. Books are transformed in tv series or movies and unless HBO is doing it, they will SUCK! And even worst this new generations apparently are hungry for more of this, they want to be Fashion Nerds, but the kind that like shit in their mouth, what the fuck?

So that's my deal, it sound like a rant and all that, but I want to know. Is just me? what do you think about it? how do you look the future? and all those other questions.

Because I don't wanna go to a movie and see that most of the cast members are models, just because it's sells more (transformer movies).

I don't care.

The good stuff is easy to find if you stick to the internet. Relying on mainstream outlets to give you your fix of 'nerdy' entertainment is a bit silly anyway. Not to mention that it leads to the creation of a bunch of tossers who think Naruto is the greatest thing ever and have never heard of Satoshi Kon.

Stop relying on old media to give you your fix. You are not a profitable target audience; old media can make more money by targeting braindead products at the braindead majority. So they will. The good stuff is still available, but hard to get. Again, use the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Fenn
    Similar to what Delph said, mainstream media is for mainstream audiences. I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to the "mainstream vs underground/hardcore" debate in any form of media because I lie on both sides on the fence.

Sometimes I want to see the "braindead" movies, music, and games because frankly I don't need to really invest a lot into the series or the content--in other words, it's quick, easy media: easy to find, easy to watch and enjoy. And other times I want original, high quality, labor-of-love level media. Something new, something inspired, something that takes an awful lot of work to create and is designed with a specific audience in mind. This media is much harder to find because there is less of it, and it also requires a certain level of invested time and energy on the part of the consumer. Nerds like you and I gravitate to this sort of media because we can feel like we are a part of it and immerse ourselves in the depth and impressive quality of it.

I actually like that some nerd stuff is becoming "mainstream." Media like the X-Men and Thor Movies, although shallow in a nerd's perspective, are great introductions to the world of superheros and comics for people who previously believe that content was out of reach. Movies, music, games; they're made for everyone, don't be too possessive of them, just keep looking for new creators and producers who are making the stuff you really want, and support them.

What it's a mainstream media? Is it popular? if it is, then Internet it's the most mainstream media. I'm not discussing mainstream vs underground, I'm discussing how being a nerd it's becoming the same as being a guy with a t-shirt of green lantern, and it doesn't reflex any more the joy of act as a nerd.

Also yeah I like that X-Men and Thor are becoming mainstream so the public can know them, but at the same time what they are knowing is not what we know, they are not knowing the X-men's as should be, they are knowing movies that should be named "Wolverine and His Friends" or in the case of First Class, "First Class: in a parallel universe". And what it's even worst is the fact that people like this shit. I'm not going to discus that the older are better, the thing is that the new movies are bad.

Are you getting mad at dudes because they're not nerdy enough. I don't even know what's going on. I'm wearing a voltron shirt right now but I can't even tell you the names of the characters anymore. Am I doing it wrong?

You will probably love this article.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/1...kculture/all/1

It's about what you're talking about almost.

But I can't relate. I want to be able to talk to anybody about romance of the three kingdoms. I love nerding out about comics with friends that aren't that familiar with them. That shit is inherently fun.

I'm gonna have to side with clock here, it might not happen much with other things but i particularly can't stand it when my impression of spiderman is an awesome character with all his sarcasm and wisecracks and venom is the most badass villain ever in all comics and for other people who've only watched the movie it's...

furthermore the mainstream media doesn't really introduce the comics to everyone, it replaces it. a few years from now, if you ask someone about what X-Men is, they won't answer "a comic series that's been running for more than 50 years", they'll say "oh! you mean the films with all the hot guys and girls who got super powers and fight the bad guys?", and that's it! the comics become the sub-existence of the films and eventually their brilliance will be lost in a sea of people who only go to see the films because an actor or actress they like is playing in them...

Um shouldn't you be more upset with Marvel, seeing as how comics are now marketing tools for summer blockbusters. Getting mad at the people who enjoy movies sounds elitist and just straight up concentrated 100% douchey with pulp. Not to mention that comics are an expensive and difficult media to get in to. Even if you wait for the trades you're spending 20 bucks a pop for a solitary activity with less content. I love comics but blame the format.

Also venom is not badass this isn't the 90's.

Umm, i never said that im mad with people, i'm mad about the FACT that such a situation exists. and what you say makes sense, but still it's not an excuse for forgetting the real origin, doing so is a complete insult to the artist that put his soul into creating it.

also, face the truth...

he's still a badass...

Quote Originally Posted by BozeSG View Post
    Umm, i never said that im mad with people, i'm mad about the FACT that such a situation exists.
    It's true you didn't say that. That was more a response towards the strange confrontational attitude of this thread. It feels like an "us vs them" kind of thing when it really is not.

and what you say makes sense, but still it's not an excuse for forgetting the real origin, doing so is a complete insult to the artist that put his soul into creating it
    Not always. Like I don't give a shit about the original x-men. Not even a little bit. I liked morrison's run, and whedon's, and the movies work in similar ways. They're just runs in a sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh
    Not always. Like I don't give a shit about the original x-men. Not even a little bit. I liked morrison's run, and whedon's, and the movies work in similar ways. They're just runs in a sense.
    not true. morrison and whedon changed the X-men and they made it better, they kinda improved what was written before and they got popular because of their skill in doing so, and so they deserve the credit given to them and the comic. this is definitely not the case with the movies. calling them runs is okay, but these "runs" don't have anything in them that we can call "improvement in the comic's world", they are just the reduced version made from bits and pieces of a greater story, and that's my problem with it. films are adaptations made from something big, forgetting the big thing itself and recognizing it's fragments as the original does not make sense to me.