View Poll Results: So, please, tell me, how am I doing?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great

4 11.11%
  • Good, but you could be better

23 63.89%
  • So-so, you're getting there

6 16.67%
  • Try working a bit harder

3 8.33%
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: BB's Crit Thread - Color and Line Width

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    So. Stuff.

Here's a portrait and I know I messed up the eyes (too close together and whatnot).

SPOILER! :

Here's a drawing I rushed out. I want to go back and add color. Anything wrong aside from the lion's perspective?

SPOILER! :

Here's a drawing where I want to go back and add color. I also want to remove the frigging quote from the image. That was a bad decision, or at least bad placement.

SPOILER! :

And here's something I just want to do over. I used watercolors for the first time ever in this piece. Things got kind of muddy. I did enjoy the mixed media aspects of it though.

SPOILER! :
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I think the last one is my favorite from you! It's pretty goof for a first stab at watercolor. All my first attempts had zero contrast and were really blurry. I think if you redid this in watercolor, using some mask would help. Or, if watercolor wasn't your thing, I think marker would work well, since this is a crisp, linear piece. I think the figure looks nice, but his thighs could be longer.

I think that's actually just a general critique of mine. A lot of your characters look a little doll-like because their legs work on the short side. If I gathered correctly, your characters are usually from the Salem story, right? In that case, the short-leg style might actually work, since it reminds me a little of the little dolls the Amish make (even though Puritans aren't Amish and the Amish dolls don't have faces—it's a complex analogy!).

Despite that, I like how you recognized your problems in the first pencil portrait and didn't make the same mistake in the bomb piece! I think the eyes in that on are a little too big, ut they look much much better there than in the first piece.

As for the lion one, I think the general anatomy of the lion could use work. Did you use a reference? I think that might help out with the legs. Unfortunately, I can't help specifically, because I'm not really familiar with lion legs! D:

Good improvement!

Yay! Bacon art!

That last one really feels like 1960s/1970s to me :3 Cool beans.

Okay, Seefy covers a lot of it. So I'll help out a wee bit with the leon. It's good you know there's some issues--maybe this will help a bit?

The mane I think should flow a little more--it looks a bit stiff like it's sticking up or gelled even-maybe have it curve a bit. I will post a picture to show you what I mean. Also, the paws should probably either stick straight out, or curl in a bit towards the body. Also, in most pictures I've looked up, you'd see the other arm--either they're laying on it, or it's next to their head. The way you've got him drawn, I think it'd be more likely he's lying on it and it would be close to the other arm sticking out. Again, I'm sucking with the description, but I'm hoping the pictures I post will help a bit?

SPOILER! :

Anyway, it's a cool concept and I like the overall drawing.

I also really like the bomb picture, and the perspective on the dude on thinking.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Oy, oy, oy, oy, oy. I have art to be critiqued and a lot of it! Namely, a whole slew of figure drawings. Some are better than others, this I know. (The following are all in chronological order of when I drew them.)

1: 20 minutes
    SPOILER! :

2: 40 minutes
    SPOILER! :

3: 40 minutes. Not a fan of how I shaded the eye.
    SPOILER! :

4: 20 minutes
    SPOILER! :

5: 40 minutes. I personally like this one a lot, though I messed up the face.
    SPOILER! :

6: 20 minutes. Ran out of time before I could do the face.
    SPOILER! :

7: 10 minutes. This was suppose to be longer, but the model got tired of standing.
    SPOILER! :

8: 20 minutes. I personally like this one a fair bit as well. I made her breasts far too saggy though.
    SPOILER! :

9: 40 minutes. For whatever reason, this is my worst. I really like how I did the feet, but nearly everything else is either misshapen or disproportional.
    SPOILER! :

You're my favorite.

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    Now, I'm not an expert in this area. Feel free to disregard what I say here as needed. Anyway...

These seem pretty "technical" to me. That's part of your style, I get that. But it also seems a bit forced to me. You have a lot of precision, but I think that gets you into trouble as far as proportions and "life" goes. It's hard to tell if realism is your goal here, as you apply that formal inking style to these sketches. But that aside, you slip into drawing from memory as opposed to drawing from life in a few spots. That's mostly on #3, I think. Take a look at the right forearm and face.

You included the time it took for each of these, and I don't really know why. I don't see much of a difference between the longer ones and shorter ones. Were you drawing these directly to pen? If so, that's super impressive. I couldn't have gotten that cleanness of line, I know. But if not, then I would reccomend freeing up your hand a bit. Maybe you've already been told this, maybe it's just your style. But the human body is all about a naturalness to the line, a minimal elegance and balance. It all seems very mechanical and stiff to me. Probably, I'm suspecting, a stylistic choice.

Yeah, sorry for rambling there. Good job. My favorite is #4.
    -Rebel
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

First of all I just wanted to address this point AR mentioned. Style. I'm not sure if you were (I have my suspicions) but it looks like to me you were going with a "style". Since these are figure drawings, you should pertain as closely to real life as you can and avoid making choices regarding "style". By not allowing yourself to allow the illusion of style get in the way, you will maximize your learning regarding anatomy and figure drawing in general. Strive for accuracy, and don't allow yourself to use style as an excuse.

Faces, I would definitely have a look at them. Most of the time they aren't proportioned correctly and you are trying to shove all the features into the lower half of the skull. Some of the times you get it fine, but I noticed there are some fluctuations around this part of the faces in particular. I also notice you struggle with the noses, and they don't really seem to fit the perspective the skull is sitting at. Whilst you are drawing really make sure to break down the face into forms and work out the perspectives since that should really help.

Speaking of forms, it doesn't seem to me that you are using them. It looks like you jump straight into contouring rather than working on a gesture and break down the body. This is also suggested by the stiffness of each drawing, it doesn't feel like they have much life or vibrancy to them. However, that isn't entirely true as some of them look nice - but again it is inconsistent. I could be completely wrong as you did ink them, but it has the illusion that you did not. Also I would try to broaden your use of shading, since right now you are only blocking. I understand there were time constraints but I think you could have revisited each and tried to apply more rendering to them.

I'm going to finish this critique with some muscles I think you should have a look at and study in your own time concerning each figure.

Deltoid - concerning 1, 2 and 3
    Gluteus Maximus - concerning 5 and 9
    External Oblique and Rectus Abdominalis - concerning 5 and 6
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 12-14-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Yeah, about halfway through the class I started getting a bit stylized--in a way that took me to being more free form--which probably wasn't the best idea. (Not that I was specifically trying to do that.) Assuming this free class is happening again next semester, I'll work on getting back to a more representative form.

To answer AR's question, yes I was "rawing these directly to pen."

Anyway, thanks. Now on to something new. For Christmas, I got a set of copics. Here is the first finished drawing I made with them. If anyone has some tips in regards to the coloring SPECIFICALLY, it would be greatly appreciated. EDIT: My scanner kind of messed with the flesh tone, I did not leave any parts of the visible body white.

You're my favorite.