View Poll Results: So, please, tell me, how am I doing?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great

4 11.11%
  • Good, but you could be better

23 63.89%
  • So-so, you're getting there

6 16.67%
  • Try working a bit harder

3 8.33%
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: BB's Crit Thread - Color and Line Width

Actually, the best place to start is with bedsheets and window drapes. You can see the wrinkles and the form, and how they react to tension and how they show release. It's really a lot of fun!

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Like, uhhmmmm. *digs around* The background in these?

Last edited by Bacon_Barbarian; 01-07-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Yeah except use references and basically copy stroke for stroke.

I did have reference. lol.

But I'll get to that.

You're my favorite.

Well if you can trace it, then draw it with reference, then draw from memory.

101 Dalmations Member GAbRieLWrIgHt's Avatar
    I think your doing good, but could do better, it doesn't look "manga" enough. Even though I will say that your OC showed AMAZING improvement, and was really good. There was either a really large gap in between the time that you did those or you improved at devastating rates. One or the other.

101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GAbRieLWrIgHt View Post
    I think your doing good, but could do better, it doesn't look "manga" enough. Even though I will say that your OC showed AMAZING improvement, and was really good. There was either a really large gap in between the time that you did those or you improved at devastating rates. One or the other.
    This will sound like an oxymoron considering this being a mangatutorials forum, but I really would not worry about your style looking "manga enough" Bacon. Number of reasons:
    Styles that fit too closely to the stereotypical manga deal tend not to be too memorable, and who wants that for their art?
    Taking influences from other artistic styles will (in my opinion) improve your artwork exponentially.
    If you spend too much time forcing your art style to be something it isn't it can have negative consequences on your improvement rate.

Nothing wrong with the traditional manga style of course, just saying if thats not your thing, don't force it. Style is something you should develop for yourself, not something you should merely take from the existing.

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    Why hello bacon. Just wanted to say just in general i think you need to break things down more. I know everyone says they draw shapes and things like that but looking at your faces i cant see that really. NOt a dig at you or a putdown just something that i notice. like cypes tutorial said manga anatomy is just simplified anatomy. To add to that i want to say when you draw using shapes you wont keep the sharp edges or the smooth curves allways because we soften the shapes and edges to give us the image we want.

@Gabriel: Scarletlight pretty much has said anything I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    Why hello bacon.
    Why hello der Psy.

Just wanted to say just in general i think you need to break things down more. I know everyone says they draw shapes and things like that but looking at your faces i cant see that really. NOt a dig at you or a putdown just something that i notice. like cypes tutorial said manga anatomy is just simplified anatomy. To add to that i want to say when you draw using shapes you wont keep the sharp edges or the smooth curves allways because we soften the shapes and edges to give us the image we want.
    Mmmmm. Noted, I think I get what your saying. And no denying I need anatomy practice.

Anyway, I'm crossposting this from my One Shot thread, because I'm not looking for critique there. This is the first of 4 Character Profiles.

Note the goddam shoes. Anyway, please, critique away peeps.
    Last edited by Bacon_Barbarian; 01-07-2012 at 08:45 PM.

You're my favorite.

The lighting lines are a bit...frantic.