Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: your way of sketching

well basically once I took a remedial art class, and I think the only thing I remembered from my teacher was
    -draw less sketch lines
    -sketch as lightly as possible
    also i was wondering is because many artists feel that the life of the drawing is gone after they line art it sometimes. So if the foundation is better than so will everything else.

I only sketch, but I guess it's not really sketching if you consider it complete. I use lots of lines but I also shade.
    I just can't seem to draw clean lines...

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
    also i was wondering is because many artists feel that the life of the drawing is gone after they line art it sometimes. So if the foundation is better than so will everything else.
    I'm one of those people who prefers seeing the sketches because they are the raw images. You can see and get a feel for what the artist was doing at the time depending on the thickness or deep impression on the paper among many other factors. That's hard to see on line art. With that said, I do appreciate a well done line art piece.

Personally, if I create a nice sketch but still want to make a line art version, I just copy it and ink the copy instead. C:

me i don't know anything about the the lines sketches. I have perfected many drawings without using any kind of you know the skeletons , lines, even if while drawing perspective i don't use any what they say 2 points, 3 points..whatever . i always do directly, first a very faded sketch then darken it with the pen . Simple like those of kids do. Well i am experimenting of drawing every possible drawings that will take less time and will be a good ones. THATS THE WAY I DO

I would love if Sutari were to post in here... :c
    I just use block figure method.

I do almost nothing but sketch. My sketches to final product ratio is somewhere in the 100:1 range. So, 99 times out of a hundred, when I put my pencil to paper, I draw a circle and some basic guidelines and flesh everything out from there. It's pretty basic, but sometimes I skip a step or erase and retry.

I do my sketches (really loose & messy...but I do use a basic 'circle/stick' frame work method staring with one bold expression line) with a blue pencil first & enhance those lines with a good old fashioned #2. I'm sure most of you guys allready know that light blue, no-photo pencils don't pick up on copiers or scanners, so I can be as sloppy as I need to be.

This way, I figure I can keep the sketchy essence of my drawings intact, but still scan it into PS to do colors & other stuff to them later. I don't have to erase many lines this way either. I go through a LOT of blue pencils...

If I'm doing something that I intend to finish in PS & I want it to have really clean lines, I'll pen the blue sketch instead of pencil it. I loose some of the feel of my original sketch this way but the end result still looks nice.

I really love loose & sketchy lines!
    Last edited by Black_Shaggie; 07-26-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Another suggestion about pencils...

If you don't mind your work being in pencil, one thing I've found that helps a lot is to sketch with a fairly hard lead (blunt hb is fine actually) and then go over it with softer leads. There are two benefits to sketching this way:

1. The graphite doesn't stick to the paper as much, so your motions will be much smoother and "flow"-ier.

2. Your preliminary lines will be a lot fainter, and if you keep 'em they might actually look rather nice. Call it your style. Aheheh.

I have a mechanical drafting pencil with a super-thick HB lead specifically for this purpose, but to each his own. xD

Edit: I'm in partial agreement against the overuse of lines. I do feel that restatement is a good thing, as is getting a feel for the shapes you want by some trial and error. However, it is true that this sort of thing should be minimized.
    Last edited by Hamachi; 07-27-2011 at 06:06 AM.

I generally use a lot of lines when I lack confidence in what I'm drawing. That being said, I use a couple construction lines and then quite a few exploratory sketch lines. The more I understand an object the fewer lines and the cleaner my sketches get.

When I'm drawing digitally in SAI, I set the Pen tool to 25% opacity and then put down a lot of lines, makes a sloppy sketch in which the lines I like are being built up and reinforced. After I have a better sense of the piece, I may elect to lower the opacity on the first layer and make a new layer to do more sketches in which case the lines are much more confident and clean. If I'm still not happy with the sketch, I may continue doing this until I am.

I would like to be able to do what Josh mentioned as a Block figure method, however, I think you need to be able to hold a pretty clear image of what you're drawing in your mind to be able to do that (but maybe I'm misunderstanding what it is). I'm still working my way up towards being able to do that. With my method, I'm kind of easing my brain into firming up the details of the drawing.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I am awful at sketching, really. D: I showed this to Matt a long time ago just because it was THAT bad. XD

SPOILER! :

SPOILER! :

And yes, I seriously used those sketches to make that lineart, haha. I have no clue how I do it, because the sketches are so vague. orz

I like to use a lot of lines and no shapes for guidelines other than circles and arcs in the torso. But if you'd like to make cleaner sketches (which isn't a method that works for everyone!), try using Hamachi's suggestion. That worked well for me.