Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sketchbook Section

Sketchbook Section

I'm not sure if this question has already been addressed or not. But I was thinking that it would be nice if we were able to have a section of the forums devoted to artist Sketchbooks. I know we have a Gallery section and a critique section for posting art, but I think a Sketchbook area would be a nice addition. Sketchbook sections are fairly common on other art related sites such as Conceptart.org, CGsociety.org, CGhub.com, etc.

The reason I ask for it is that often times, I have art that I'm not really looking for critique but isn't of a finished enough quality for me to want to post it in a Gallery. I think a sketchbook section would fill this role well.

I really think that adding this would also help to declutter the Critique section. Mods would be able to be stricter with the types of threads being started there, and hopefully people would realize that they should only post there if they really want help with a certain piece. As it is now, the Critique section is already basically acting as a sketchbook area. Of course, rules for the Critique section would probably need to be modified as well.
    Last edited by nisaren; 07-21-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Sounds cool.

Its up to rio tho

Of course. Maybe Rio could set up a poll to see if more people would like to have it as well, and I'm not alone in my thinking.

Wouldn't it be funny if you were like completely alone and everyone else in the world hated the idea

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Well.... Technically sketches are allowed in the Gallery. There is a whole category dedicated to it.

I really just always wondered why we didn't have a doodle thread like most art sites. I think that would be enough.

Yeah, I'd feel like an ass if everyone else hated the idea. I guess I just like the idea of having threads where you can look through and see a person's progress. I get the feeling that you are really pushing us to use the Gallery though, Rio. Lol.

I must admit that I haven't really looked at the Gallery options much. I was a little put off at first because it appeared a bit disorganized. I felt like if I posted something there, it wouldn't have as good a chance of being seen by other people (this doesn't make me vain... does it??). Maybe this is a misconception and I just don't like change. D:

One Thousand Member Ozzaharwood's Avatar
    I'll ask around and see what the members think of the idea when I can. I actually think it's what a lot of people are looking for though.

101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    I don't know if I'm aloud to chime in on this section of the forum or not...
    But I believe along time ago before the new forum design, the Critique Corner was known as the 'Artist's Alley', and that section was really a sketchbook subforum + you could get crits if you asked. The Critique corner really is the same subforum, just with a new name.

I get your point about having a two seperate sections though.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    I think the Gallery seems disorganized because it lists art in order of who posted what art at what time. If you want to see a specific artists' progression, you will have to go to their page's/profile's Gallery sub-section (ex/ here's mine). It's more inconvenient than going to a thread in the forum and finding the artist right there.

Anyways, pleas do see what everyone thinks. I don't mind making another area but if it's not going to be used, I don't see any point to making it.