Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weapons and characters

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkOne View Post
    I don't know where this topic would really lie but hopefully this is the right place

Basically its about choosing a weapon for a character, with the manga that I'm working on, have been trying to figure out the right weapons for the characters, to show their style and temperament, so I was just wondering, do you choose the weapon for the character? or the character for the weapon?
    Here's a question for you Dark One.

What exactly is this charcater's style & temperment [personality]? Also, what kind of setting is he/her in? The answers to these questions may be indicators to what type of weapon(s) he/she is more likely to use.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    Some of the best characters in history have been defined by their weapon. Vash the Stampede, for example. So you can't really make clear cut. If you explain it well enough, both ways work.
    Agreed. You gotta be really good if you plan on revolving your character around his/her/its weapon.

Even with Tri-Gun, Vash's backstory & goofy (almost innocent) personality that made him great not his gun. I just watched the 1st season of Soul Eater...1/2 the characters ARE weapons & it's thier personalities contrasted with thier Miesters that ake it awesome.

Take Guts from Bezerk...here's a really good example of what i'm talking about. Guts uses a huge Greatsword in battle. Why? Because he was born on the battlefield, his mom died at birth & his foster 'dad' was a bastard that made him fight...with a long sword...as soon as he could walk. Over the years, he simply became accustom to using oversized swords.

I hear wat you guys are trying to say, but The weapon or item is nothing without some knid of motivation or reason for using it.

It doesn't matter if you gave Guts a greatsword or a knife, what matters is in the design and how you tell the context. The weapon has 0 relevance for the characters it self, because you can always adapt.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    What is a character is a weapon? Like in Shaman King or Ultimo?
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Interesting topic.
    I would state my general opinion about the topic and then I would tell you what proccess I follow as a mangaka.
    - The general theme is that the weapon is part of the characters personality. The weapon needs the character in order to shine because it is inevitably connected to him. What would senbonsakura be without byakuya, for instance? Just a very good concept, I think. On the other hand as part of his personality the weapon is a boor to a characters soul. It may give light to the characters motives, attitude, personality. goals, past, future, way of thinking, intellect (see sakabato of kenshin) ... So when a characters is born as part of his personality his weapon is born as well. In the case that you have an idea for a good weapon first the next thing you will think is how to adjust this weapon to a character. To conclude the relation between a character and his weapon is like earth and moon. The weapon is an important element of the character but it turns around him.
    - What I personally do. I first think of the character (in 85% of the cases). I see the weapon not only as part of the character but also a symbolism of the means he uses to achieve his goals. Then I immiediately have a general idea for his weapon.

The weapon and power design is a difficult proccess though. Making an original and successful weapon/ power demands a lot of thinking.
    a. When choosing a weapon, as mentioned before you must think of the personality of the character that you are searching a weapon for.
    b. Then you must think what impression do you want to leave to the reader. A cute girl with a bazouka will for instance astonish or make the reader laugh.
    c. What are the goals of the character and how important is he in the plot? The main villains power for instance must be something dark or seemingly inbeatable (ex. Aizen Sousuke's kyuka suigetsu --> poetic, dark etc.)
    d. Shape. You may base the shape of the weapon to stereotypical solutions (ex sword, gun) with so dose of originality. The second choice is to make a completely original weapon --> Take every day life object. Ex. A snail shell. It can become a wonderful cannon, helmet, super sound wave generator etc. An here is your original weapon.

does it really matter what weapon it is? actually ideas for that will just come like a mosquito..
    you just need experience in drawing weapons and then design your own, and just give it to your character..

the big problem probably is how to draw weapon and how to put gravity with it's strike and how to foreshorten them and draw them in every types of view. how to pose your character with that weapon and the special effect of it's surroundings! yadda yadda

I wish all my problems is just choosing.

Actually choosing is a very important point in the proccess but I would agree that what you state above is the most difficult part in weapon drawing.

as i said ideas for what weapon would fit the character will just go like a fly.
    spiderman uses web as weapon, do you think the author of it takes his time to think of what weapon spiderman should use?
    the thing that made him think is probably the ideas of the effect of it and how it would affect his every possible movement.

you can just add some possibilities of it, but any weapon would do.

I could think of a better character development with ichigo using an axe or even an knife.
    try reading mahou sensei negima.

Silly.

You can design any weapon to adjust to the character personality, so the weapon is not a mayor issue. Before you think "which weapon/power to give" it's better to ask yourself "what does my character stand for"?