Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weapons and characters

Weapons and characters

I don't know where this topic would really lie but hopefully this is the right place

Basically its about choosing a weapon for a character, with the manga that I'm working on, have been trying to figure out the right weapons for the characters, to show their style and temperament, so I was just wondering, do you choose the weapon for the character? or the character for the weapon?

you always create the character first, because the weapon can be worked to fit the character. The weapon, or artefact's are never the main concern of the writer, the main concern its the character and the conflict, the artifact its only going to matter depending on those 2.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it

Fenn
    Clockhand's advice is spot on.

My advice is not to let weapon stereotypes hold you back. Since its a comic, the weapon doesn't have to be completely believable either. If you want a truly unique weapon, don't start with a generic weapon and add a gimmick or feature; first ask yourself how combat and weaponry would have developed in your world (or what era you're in if it's set in modern, historic,or future Earth), and more importantly how your character will fight.

101 Dalmations Member
    basically. .if you're makin' a mainstream battle type manga. . .you should definitely give some time thinking about the characters' weapons. . .especially if your story includes special powers. . the weapon should be identified together with your characters power and/or personality. . if your character is strong. . .a big weapon will do. .if he is fast. .a smaller weapon will suffice. . .if he knows kung fu. .a stick is good. .if he is rich. . .maybe a gun or something. . if he is intelligent. .a bow and arrow. . .something like that.. .it'll make your characters distinguishable from each other. .. . .and your readers will also be able to remember your characters well. . .^^. . characters having the same swords are called supporting characters. .you dont wanna make your main character simple right. .he must possess the ability to leap out of every page that your reader turns. . .siguraduhin mong super makikilala xa. .

Quote Originally Posted by tagYURIT View Post
    basically. .if you're makin' a mainstream battle type manga. . .you should definitely give some time thinking about the characters' weapons. . .especially if your story includes special powers. . the weapon should be identified together with your characters power and/or personality. . if your character is strong. . .a big weapon will do. .if he is fast. .a smaller weapon will suffice. . .if he knows kung fu. .a stick is good. .if he is rich. . .maybe a gun or something. . if he is intelligent. .a bow and arrow. . .something like that.. .it'll make your characters distinguishable from each other. .. . .and your readers will also be able to remember your characters well. . .^^. . characters having the same swords are called supporting characters. .you dont wanna make your main character simple right. .he must possess the ability to leap out of every page that your reader turns. . .siguraduhin mong super makikilala xa. .
    I disagree with this in a 100%

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    you always create the character first, because the weapon can be worked to fit the character. The weapon, or artefact's are never the main concern of the writer, the main concern its the character and the conflict, the artifact its only going to matter depending on those 2.
    This is the truth. A good protagonist isn't defined by his/her weapon at all. You think Gunnm's bad ass because of Alita's gigantic butterfly knife, or her fighting skills with the Panzer Kunst? No. It's because Alita (allbeit she's a futureistic cyborg) is a convincing character with personality that the reader can feel.

That's the only 'weapon' a character needs in my opinion.

I made this guy. Shade_One. He's a cyborg with a bunch of other cool high tech gadgets. He has a Navy P-Coat that has a 'pocket dimension' in the liner...& thusly carries an arsenal with him at all times. You'd think he was just another gunner, but he isn't. The truth is he was in the military & died. His conciousness was 'uploaded' into an android body. Every day he questions his own existence & he fights for the answer. The weapon is his soul..not the guns in his coat.

I feel that , if the character's personality is properly conveyed to the reader whatever they're doing (using) will keep the reader's attention. If you were to focus on the weapon, it will become the protagonist. Every story I can think of where a specific weapon (Tri-Gun...Excalibur) play's a big part in the story...it's still the character development that drives the story.

EVEN IF A 9 YR OLD KID HOLDS AN AK47 thats the reality somewhere in the world.
    well if your manga character is something related to future you have to design your own weaponry
    AHHHH.... i can be more specific if you post some characters here.

That's the point I trying to make Tril...
    Take that kid with Ak, he'd probaly be a 3rd world freedom fighter or something. Or perhaps forced into a gang or a malitia by some despot. There's your reality. You couldn't just revolve the story around his AK.

My character's background is pretty extensive. If you look in my gallery you can see a few concepts of what he looks like though. Actually, he doesn't even look like the kind of guy that's packing. The future that he's in isn't too far off from today's world, butthe tech is subtly advanced is all.

btw...How'd you like my pimping of your char?

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Some of the best characters in history have been defined by their weapon. Vash the Stampede, for example. So you can't really make clear cut. If you explain it well enough, both ways work.