Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let me spin you a tale(with less ellipsis)

Hybrid View

Fenn

Let me spin you a tale(with less ellipsis)

This thing is either going to burst into something great or die before it even gets off the ground, but...

The fantasy short story I was writing hit a wall due to writer's block and a lack of feedback, so I thought I'd try something new. This is going to be an improv story told in alternating bouts of reflective, first-person monologuing and dialogue-heavy, third-person fiction narrative. By improv, I mean I'm going into this with nary a thought in my head about what I'm going to write, except that it's fiction prose, and periodically I'll log on and write as much as I feel. Expect tons of plot twists and genre mash-ups.

In order to obtain an audience, I ask for not only feedback but suggestions and desires for content. It can be anything. If I like it, I'll add it in someway, somewhere down the line. This way people will feel like it's "our" story rather than just mine.

So...as we all gather around the fire and get comfortable, I ask: what would you like to hear?
    Last edited by Fenn; 07-22-2011 at 10:10 PM.

i think it's better if you tell something of your basic plot before asking for suggestions... it's kinda hard just to just "suggest" sth out of the blue, you know...

i'm really interested in this and i want to take part in it. (your conflicts story is really good too, well, right now i've just read up to chapter four but i liked what i read up until now...)

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by BozeSG View Post
    i think it's better if you tell something of your basic plot before asking for suggestions... it's kinda hard just to just "suggest" sth out of the blue, you know...

i'm really interested in this and i want to take part in it. (your conflicts story is really good too, well, right now i've just read up to chapter four but i liked what i read up until now...)
    I suppose I can suggest a theme or concept, but the idea was more for a "fireside" tale where people would say, "Tell us a story about ___!" If you think it would be better to start it up first I definitely will.

And thanks for the complement, I'm at a crucial point in that story and I need to both read it over to make sure I'll stay consistent as I continue and plan more of the rest. But I'm not through with it.

I'm with BozeSG despite his creepy avatar picture. It sounds interesting, but I'm not the kind of guy who can give you something when you ask for anything. My mind just doesn't come up with anything.

Don't make fun of PATORIOTS!!!!!! but i guess it is quite creepy....

and yeah fen, the idea of "fireside" works if everyone had to say a short story of their own, not when you want to make a single long story...

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by BozeSG View Post
    Don't make fun of PATORIOTS!!!!!! but i guess it is quite creepy....

and yeah fen, the idea of "fireside" works if everyone had to say a short story of their own, not when you want to make a single long story...
    Okey dokey, I'll start this up once I get a long enough session for writing something substantial.

This is going to be a crazy story, I can tell.

Edit 7/20/11: Okay, Here goes...

THE QUEST FOR EPIC

Capt. Straitfeather was no ordinary pirate. He did not drink, for one. He also had good hygeine, was a poor swordsman, and could barely handle the kick of a flintlock pistol. He also had little interest in gold and riches (and women) like so many of the men he captained. In fact, without his ship Capt. Straightfeather would hardly be considered a pirate at all.

There were two things that earned the captain his title. The first was the single common thread which bonded him to his shipmates; a love of the sea and adventure. Since he could crawl, the captain had dreams of a life of discovery, of traversing unknown locales across the world.

The second thing is what truly gave Captn. Straitfeather the leg up over every other pirate out there: intelligence--no, genius. Not only had the captain travelled farther than any other inhabitant of Newer England, the small island chain where he was born, but he was more educated than just about everyone living in whatever destination he chose to journey to. You see, while the other pirates were out plundering and partying, acts which the captain knew he would be foolish to prohibit, the captain himself was reading, exploring, and learning the culture of the area. And not only was he educated, he was a remarkable quick, sly thinker who would weasal his way into and out of danger seemingly at will. How else could he have led a munity against the previous captain of the ship, and succeeded with next to no bloodshed on board...in 2 days?

Now the captain was preparing to take on the boldest, most dangerous, and most adventurous treasure hunt of his career: the search for Epic.
    Last edited by Fenn; 07-20-2011 at 09:24 AM.

Fenn
    Bump...

You should do something like they find an island that can only be found that does who already found it, and put a chest full of cursed aztec coins and they take chest and sell it all, but then they realize they got cursed and can't die and become skeletons under the moonlight, and so they have to set out and collect every last aztec coin and return them to the chest to break the curse OR idea #2 where you find out that Captain Straitfeather actually made a deal with Davy Jones to raise his ship from the grave for 10 years in exchange for his soul in the end, so he sets out on a quest to recover the chest that contains Jones' still beating heart and then some other crazy shit happens that would be too long to type out OR idea #3 where they go looking for the fountain of youth.

And here's some random crap I just thought of:
    - The previous captain comes back with a vengeance
    - Ok, that's the only thing I just thought of...

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiChameleon View Post
    You should do something like they find an island that can only be found that does who already found it, and put a chest full of cursed aztec coins and they take chest and sell it all, but then they realize they got cursed and can't die and become skeletons under the moonlight, and so they have to set out and collect every last aztec coin and return them to the chest to break the curse OR idea #2 where you find out that Captain Straitfeather actually made a deal with Davy Jones to raise his ship from the grave for 10 years in exchange for his soul in the end, so he sets out on a quest to recover the chest that contains Jones' still beating heart and then some other crazy shit happens that would be too long to type out OR idea #3 where they go looking for the fountain of youth.

And here's some random crap I just thought of:
    - The previous captain comes back with a vengeance
    - Ok, that's the only thing I just thought of...
    Can I just make it clear that Straitfeather is NOT a spoof on Barbosa. At all. I mean, they're pirates, mutiny and stuff happens, y'know.

If you have any ideas that aren't from PotC (love the series but still...), I'm open. Also, I wasn't even planning to take this on a Pirate Adventure path anywho. More characters and settings are soon to appear, not to mention the burning central question:

WHAT IS EPIC?

Epic is when a bunch of awesome things collide in an explosion of crazy awesomeness. People die, people live, people fall in and out love, countries collapse, countries rise, and most importantly, people fight in over the top action with the outcome deciding everything! Epic is when the only word you could possibly think of to describe something like that is EPIC!!