Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me fantasy novels (read op or I will karate you)

Umm...What's wrong? Nobody here likes J.R.R. Tolkien? You know...The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings?! This guy is a litterary ledgend in the fantasy genre & the books are awesome. Better than the movies in my opinion.

There's also this really cool quartet of books called Journey to the West collectively. There's supposed to be classic chinese literature & were published by some no name person (who probally made a lot of money & bad karma too) in the 1950s. Arthur Waley abridged them, changing the title to Adventures of the Monkey God. It's a fictional account of the journey of a historical monk & his 3 disciples/ protectors. Awesome story I think the movie Forbidden Kingdom was based off of these books.

My personal favorite books are R.A. Salvatore's Dark Elf Trilogy & The Icewind Dale Trilogy If you've ever played Dungeons & Dragons (which I proudly have most of my life), then you've more than likely heard the name Drizzt Do'Urden. These books all feature him as the main protagonist & both triologies show how the use of magic directly effect politics very well. Besides, Drizzt is the baddest of bad *bleep!* ever to use two swords.

I tend to ramble...so I'll stop here.

Most of them probably knew I had already read tolkien. Did journey to the west (abridged) and I really dont like salvatore but thanks for the suggestions regardless.

Edit; You know its been like 10 years probably gonna reread journey to the west anyway thanks for bringing it up
    Last edited by jubeh; 07-24-2011 at 08:24 PM.

No problem. A lot of people think he's a goof ^_^. Uhh...try this one though: Fall Into Darkness by Nicholas Yersmakov. Old book that's full of a lot of political intruige. Kind of Sci Fi (there futuristic humans on another planet) but a fantasy.

Hm okay my library didn't have a lot of the stuff you guys mentioned. I managed to pick up the name of the wind and sabriel.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Can you get titles through Inter-Library Loan (ILL)? Most libraries are part of a system which shares resources from neighboring libraries.

idk

101 Dalmations Member Arashi500's Avatar
    Also by Brent Weeks, he recently released a Novella prologue to The Night Angel trilogy.

The Mortal Instruments series is... okay I guess. A lot like Twilight but MUCH better written and no Mormon brainwashing going on in the sub-text.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    idk
    Well, go find out man! If they don't have it, just request them. Libraries usually oblige purchasing books for their patrons and adding them to the collection. Be persistent about it too if they don't get it right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Shaggie View Post
    Umm...What's wrong? Nobody here likes J.R.R. Tolkien? You know...The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings?! This guy is a litterary ledgend in the fantasy genre & the books are awesome. Better than the movies in my opinion.
    Hobbit is good. Lord of the Rings is dull. Both have flat characters. Modern fantasy is mostly better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

The thing that bogs down LoTR is that it goes off into historical references, lore, and tons of background info. Compared to modern fantasy writing which is mainly to the point, it's just a heck of a quagmire to read through.