Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me fantasy novels (read op or I will karate you)

^I like Neil Gaiman books. Stardust was good (I got a beautiful copy that was illustrated by Charles Ves, I like it better than the movie, though the movie was all right. Read the book first, if you do it at all.)

Edit: Good Omens was pretty funny, too.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Three Trio Tres Member DrPumpkin's Avatar
    Good Omens is Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet together so it has to be added to all reading lists.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Monster Blood Tattoo series by D.M. Cornish
    The book is set in a unique world and it's very well made; very much like Lord of the Rings where it has a highly detailed world including terms, societies, etc. (It has it's own dictionary and appendixes in the back of each book with illustrations on how people look, maps, etc) It's about a young orphan named Rossamund, a boy unfortunately given a girl's name, who becomes a lamplighter and his adventures. I wasn't so wild with the first book but stick with it and it ends well (I'm talking about all three books).

Pellinor series by Alison Croggen (The Gift, The Riddle, The Crow, and The Singing)
    Another world that is highly detailed. A slave girl meets her destiny as she escapes to freedom with a bard (they're like wizards really). She apparently has the gift that all bards have and the story moves from there.

Atherton series by Patrick Carman (House of Power, Rivers of Fire, The Dark Planet)
    It's about a boy who lives in a world that is a tier. The bottom tier are full of monsters and is the wasteland, the middle tier is for the average folks who farm and work, and the upper tier is for the "lords" who rule and decide the fate of the nation, so to speak. The boy knows there's more to his life than just working and he's been slowly climbing the wall that separates his world and the world of the "nobles".
    SPOILER! :
    Ok, this book starts off as fantasy but moves into science fiction but stick with it and it's pretty cool. At least in imo. <_<

The Last Apprentice series by Joseph Delaney
    A horror fantasy series - it's about a seventh son of a seventh son who apprentices to become a Spook, someone who fights anything that goes bump in the night. Most of the enemies are witches but there are other interesting monsters as well.

There's some other books but I'll leave off on them for now. C:

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".

The old kingdom series (Abhorsen series/trilogy for us in north america) by Garth Nix. I loved the lore of it as well as how structured the magic is. It jumps between diffrent characters points of views and slightly tangent story lines that eventually come back to the main plot so you are sometimes juggling info.
    Allso not sure if it counts but i will put it in a spoiler tag anyhow.
    SPOILER! :
    Its about necromancy and Necromancers are just awesome and the books further prove that. The magic is given limitation which makes it more realistic but still with the fun of it being somthing not totally naturally occuring. The things done with the necromancy are things i had never imagined or thought of and enjoyed allot to read. The world is detailed imo but i may have a diffrent idea of detailed than most (sometimes lacking >>).

in order books are Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen. Seriously check it out as its sure to please.

Yeah, I really like how the world is set up in the series. I've only had a chance to read Sabriel but I really liked it. Ranger's Apprentice was not bad too. Personally, I would've liked it if there were more details to sink your teeth into but you have to read the series to get more information/more of the world. Thumbs up to Llyod Alexander too - the main character starts off as annoying imo (snot-nosed kid!) but he really shapes out in the end.

Speaking of which - I just remembered a pretty interesting title: The Riddle-Master of Hed by Patricia A. McKillip. Another well-thought out world:
    The Riddle-Master of the title is Morgon, the Prince of Hed, a small, simple island populated by farmers and swineherds. He has three stars on his forehead, which no one has been able to explain. As the book opens, his sister, Tristan, discovers that he is keeping a crown hidden under his bed, and he must explain that he won it in a riddle-game with a ghost, the cursed king Peven of Aum.

When Deth, the High One's harpist, finds out, he explains that another king, Mathom of An, has pledged to marry his daughter Raederle to the man who wins that crown from the ghost.

Morgon sets forth to claim his bride accompanied by Deth, but while at sea, his ship is sunk by mysterious shapechangers. Shipwrecked, Morgon loses his memory and the power of speech. When Deth finally finds him again, and he recovers his memory and speaking ability, he resolves to travel to ask the High One about the shapechangers. The High One's home, located in the far north on Erlenstar Mountain, is seldom visited. As Morgon and Deth travel the length of the realm, they are repeatedly attacked by the shapechangers, and Morgon learns more and more dangerous knowledge about his three stars and the great powers that come with them.

101 Dalmations Member Arashi500's Avatar
    Like Fenn, I recommend atleast the first 4 books in The Ranger's Apprentice series (the writing and consistency drops pretty staggeringly between books 5-6 which are two-parters so i don't recommend book 5.

I'd also recommend The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks(it's sorta likeong of ice and fire but with MUCH more magic) and his new series Lightbringer(only one book so far, but the most powerful Drafter, the term for mages in the series is the nigh-omnipotent ruler of the world, so your political bits of magiucal taste should be satisfied.)

Also, I don't know if you'd be into it, but the Temeraire series is a magic-less Historical fantasy that can be summed up as the Napoleonic Wars but with dragons. And they work essentially as sentient, flying calvalry.

Napoleonic wars eh

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi500 View Post
    I'd also recommend The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks(it's sorta likeong of ice and fire but with MUCH more magic) and his new series Lightbringer(only one book so far, but the most powerful Drafter, the term for mages in the series is the nigh-omnipotent ruler of the world, so your political bits of magiucal taste should be satisfied.)
    Aaaaah. This series. Not recommended for the week stomached (gore and real social issues like prostitutes and other things are touched upon here). Liked the first book. The hero was a real dork in the second. Have yet to read the third but I hope it gets better. :>

Read Magician by Raymond E. Feist.
    It's set in a world where common magical use is still in it's infancy, then there's an invasion from another world where magic is commonplace. There's a lot of war and stuff and it's really awesome, especially when the Prince is helped by a thieve's guild to escape the clutches of a mad King and a Baron that is looking to take the throne for himself. By the way, there's some magic use, but it's not all over the place.
    i wake up every morning and brush my teeth with rainbows after i piss excellence and wash my face with glory

101 Dalmations Member Arashi500's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    Aaaaah. This series. Not recommended for the week stomached (gore and real social issues like prostitutes and other things are touched upon here). Liked the first book. The hero was a real dork in the second. Have yet to read the third but I hope it gets better. :>
    Yeah he isn't quite as dorky, but the whole idealism vs. duty dilemma becomes a bigger part. He does man up though. The other protagonists also become great characters though. And it's not like NAT has more gore than other big series like Song of Ice and Fire, maybe social issues, but they are handled quite well IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Napoleonic wars eh
    Yup. Starts a couple of years after the American revolutionary war, and the protagonist is a British naval officer.
    Last edited by Arashi500; 07-18-2011 at 12:57 AM.