Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me fantasy novels (read op or I will karate you)

Recommend me fantasy novels (read op or I will karate you)

Okay I'm looking for fantasy stuff to read. Here are my things though.

I really don't like magic unless its handled incredibly well. What I mean is magic needs to factor into politics and government for me to take it seriously. If wizards are all powerful but don't control the world for some reason, I just want to know why.

I'm inclined towards more realistic stuff. Like if warhammers are a common weapon but full iron plate hasn't been invented yet, that sort of thing bothers me. Or if dudes are constantly getting hit by arrows that don't hurt them (though I'm more lenient about super human stuff since I love romance of the three kingdoms).

It also helps if the writing is good. I love the lore of lord of the rings but I could barely stomach the books.

Also this should go without saying, but this is not a list thread. I know it's asking for a lot but try to sell me on the books you recommend. And no need to recommend the song of ice and fire books since I'm going to get those eventually.

I really liked The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander (Disney really butchered the story when they created "The Black Cauldron." Their version was mildly entertaining, but also an abomination, since it screwed up combining two books--and they just omitted characters and made crap up.)

You may also like the Dresden Series by Jim Butcher, or anything by Terry Pratchett, as he is very funny. I thoroughly enjoyed Going Postal.

I have more, but I'm too lazy to add more suggestions.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Fenn
    The Ranger's Apprentice series is aimed at a slightly younger audience, but I found it quite entertaining.

The author did his homework regarding swordplay; he describes and analyzes the action in a very cool, detailed way. The character dialogue is, to me, one of the most believeable I've read in almost any genre, and the characters are quite memorable, and even though there are plenty of cliches (orphaned protagonist, emotionless master, evil "dark lord"), after the first two books they develop and grow out of these cliches (master is actually far more complex, and *minor spoiler* the evil lord dies at the hands of someone unexpected *end spoiler*).

There's some suspension of disbelief but it works. The Rangers, who the hero becomes a part of and trains with, seem to have unrealistic stealth and archery skills, but since it does not take place on Earth, and the author provides a bit of explanation of how these skills work, it's rather acceptable. All in all it's a rather believeable and exciting series with a fast pace and good writing, plenty of action, and political intrigue. Even the slight bit of romance is down-to-earth and more sensible. The hero is yong and naive; the older characters romance in subtle and defensive ways through witty wordplay.

As a last note magic does appear much later in the series, I don't remember it too well, but it's not all-powerful. In fact, I think a lot of it is well-masked presdigitation.

Twillight.

Three Trio Tres Member DrPumpkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Dragon View Post
    ...or anything by Terry Pratchett, as he is very funny. I thoroughly enjoyed Going Postal....
    This.

Terry Pratchett is very fun. Going Postal's good but so is Guards! Guards!. Both are very good to sink your teeth into.

Read. Naow.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Btw I hate when people use sayings and adjectives that are used to describe food when talking about things. Why would I sink my teeth into a book the thought actually makes me upset. Like I'm pissed right now. Im raging.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations.

Btw I hate when people use sayings and adjectives that are used to describe food when talking about things. Why would I sink my teeth into a book the thought actually makes me upset. Like I'm pissed right now. Im raging.
    Reader's Digest must really make you angry.

But culinary metaphors are delectable. There's nothing like a nice side of figurative language referring to the utterly mouth-watering qualities of a book, and likewise there's nothing wrong with describing dry, bitter, and difficult to consume books using metaphors that disdain the full poisonous flavour of their writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Chronicles of Conan. Enough said.

Or you could try American Gods by Neil Gaiiman (Sandman guy). I can't really give a review cause I havent read it myself yet. My brother got it for me for my birthday and keeps saying how awesome it is. I won't start it until I've finished Motorcycle Diaries then Don Juan. When I start a book I finish that motherfucker!

American Gods is a great book. I read it in like 3 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.