Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Genre(s)

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar

Favourite Genre(s)

Why do we not have this thread? I swear I looked everywhere and couldn't find one, so...

What are your favourite manga/anime/comic genres and/or art style?

Mech, Sci-Fi, and Shoujo Ai on a rare occasion.

As for art anything except cutesy shit.

opposite from outcast.. i want anything as long as it's cute and has good art i'll watch it no matter what.
    i watch any moe! as long as there is moe it's good for me..
    i don't really know about genre cause my favorites are different genres from one another
    i really like comedy i guess,,... or anything that has a very good moral lesson at the end.. (like "school days")
    i just want something like the story of gurren lagann where there is always "BELIEVE IN YOUR SELF" thingy all the time.
    those anime with full of hope or something like that

1.- Moe is not a genre, its a style.
    2.- Gurren Laggan thesis is not "believe in yourself" (the characters have no goal to believe in them selfs, but they use it as a medium to achieve their goals).

3.- Answering the topic: I go for Sci-fi, CyberPunk, Fantasy, Horror, Comedy, Psychological, Thriller, Mystery, etc. Anything that its good fits to me (if its crap I will probably drop it at the first 10 pages).

I believe the moe "genre" can pretty much be summarized into "comedy-romance" or "harem." Both of which are disappointing 90% of the time because the writers seem to think that a few panty shots and a main character who has problems interacting with girls is funny. Also, a good art style will never compensate for a crappy story. As much as I love the moe style, I can't stand most of the shows it's put into.

I like:

-Action (HSDK)
    -Fantasy (Tales of . . .)
    -Horror/thriller (Higurashi)
    -Romance (Clannad)
    -Comedy (Banana no Nana)
    -School stuff (K-On)

If anyone can recommend any more good horror/thrillers that don't just get off on blood and gore and hope to be scary, do tell. A lot of them have the "Hollywood" problem of just being gore-fests relying on surprise instead of suspense. As much as I liked Elfen Lied, that's pretty much all that held it up.

@Ramiel - I haven't seen School Days (plan on watching it soon), but I heard the ending was actually one heck of a disturbing one.

Read Gyo, Uzumaki or anything from Junji Ito, he is the master of horror (in mangas). Also, I am a Hero (jubeh is a character in there) its pretty good, like a The Walking Dead, but japanese (not a high school of the dead, which is filled with fan service and crapy characters).

Ah, yeah, High School of the Dead. I remember my friends at school going nuts over how awesome it was just because it had blood, boobs, and zombies.

I just finished chapter 1 of I Am A Hero. I think this is the first time in a long time I've seen a character get this developed so early on in a manga. I think I might get into this psychological stuff. I never thought I'd say this, but I actually like that the girls aren't very attractive in this style. It draws the focus away from tits and fanservive and centers on character development and story -- not to mention an insane attention to detail. Why can't more manga be like this?

Didn't start Ito's stuff yet; it's licensed in America, so I can't read it on Mangafox. I'll have to order the volumes from Amazon or Ebay, since my local bookstores don't carry any manga.

If you want to see a really character development, read 20th Century Boys, Monster, Pluto and the new work of Urasawa, Billy Bat.

This also remains me to keep working on a drama tutorial.
    Last edited by ClockHand; 07-10-2011 at 11:21 PM.

I like every shounen with great characters, mysteries are okay too.
    also, I'm a fan of any manga or anime that you can describe as "Mind-Fuck"...

I hate typical mecha animes...

I'm not much into mecha either. I want to see people fighting legitimately, not encased in giant robots. I can understand people who do like it, but it's just not on my list of preferences.

Aaand . . . I think I was a bit too gushy on my first impression of I Am A Hero. It's not a perfect manga. The beginning would confuse anyone who didn't go into it knowing it was a psychological thing. If the translation was just a little bit crappier, it would have been very hard to read, like any psychological manga. It IS good. Not like the Shuffle! manga, where you couldn't understand it no matter how hard you tried if you hadn't watched the anime or played the games. I Am A Hero has an art style that probably wouldn't appeal to a lot of manga fans, especially those who like cutesy stuff (me, for example). I liked the art, but just as I know plenty of semi-realism fans don't like moe, a lot of moe fans won't like semi-realism. The story is solid so far, but I only got halfway through the second chapter before my Internet blinked out.

More on topic: Anyone know of any good steampunk manga? If I wanna write the genre, it'd help to have some graphic novel reference.