Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: comment on body proportions

comment on body proportions

Please give me feedback on the body proportions of this 10 year old kid.
    Ive never done anything like this before, nor do I have any experience on anime body proportions (and not really on real ones).
    Does the proportion of the body change from this age onward? I know the head size does, but what about the relative lenghts of the body parts?

The proportion look good to me, you have a clean a precise trace. The only problem I see is on his eyes, the bright must be on the same side of the pupil, on your sketch they are both on the middle;

101 Dalmations Member angel_dreamer13's Avatar
    if the light source is between the subjects eyes, or directly in front of them, the shine is ok.
    the proportions look pretty nice to me too.

Quote Originally Posted by 17
    if the light source is between the subjects eyes, or directly in front of them, the shine is ok.
    the proportions look pretty nice to me too.
    Oh, you are right, I did not take it into consideration xD

Thanks.

But surely there must be some maths behind body measurements?
    And I also asked:
    Does the proportion of the body change from this age onward? I know the head size does, but what about the relative lenghts of the body parts?
    Also, are the ears a bit low?

I don't really feel that I am good with proportions. You can look at my art and tell me, but your proportions for the young kid seems pretty accurate to me (anime and human standard). The ears should be raised a bit higher. It should occupy the space from the eyes to the nose.

The proportion of the body does change over time, and though there is kind of a math to it, you have to look at it and see if it looks rightto you. Argh that made no sense, but sometimes when you draw, you always find yourself making adjustments so things look right. Though there is a math, you tend to stray away from it a bit so you can truly show how things like like in reality. Every guy isn't 6 feet tall and etc.

Okay enough of my 'wishy-washy' answer. I can give you the relative lengths for other body parts. These are measurements for children-adult, but like I said before, it may not always be exact.

Measurements are done according to head size (that sound so weird, but hopefully you know what I mean by head size....if not http://www.idrawdigital.com/2009/01/drawing-the-human-form-proportions-from-child-to-adult/ ).

The website give approximate lengths for a males at different ages, however this does not apply to all males. Remember, anime is an exaggeration of real life and in real life, not everyone is of average height. Some people are taller and some people are shorter. Anyways, back to giving you realative lengths. :P

An Arm length including hands: 3-4 heads approximately (this means that the length of one arm to the other is 6-8 heads, the approximate length of a human being)

The hands: 3/4 of an head for children and adults

The feet: 1 head

Width of the body: Skinny person: 1 head; Average/fit person: 2 heads; fat person/muscular: 2 1/2-3 heads (exaggeration)

I think that is all you may need. I hope this was of some help. Oh, females tend to be of a shorter height than males, but of course not all females are like this. The world is pretty diverse. :-)

Sorry for the double post but this image is what I meant by body width. You see that as the body become more muscular (or fatter LOL), it tends to grow in width size. http://www.idrawdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/prop_var.gif

101 Dalmations Member angel_dreamer13's Avatar
    yes, the ears are a bit too low. the top of the ear is usually around the level of the middle/upper portion of the eye. I've seen ears drawn at all different heights though actually, depending on the style, so guess you could just go with whatever you think looks the best.
    if there is a mathamatic system behind body proportions I'm not the one to ask about it, lol. I use a few tips when I draw; the length of the body from where the legs meet the torso should be equal too the length of the legs themselves, the tips of the fingers should reach roughly the middle of the sides when the arms are down, and the hand should be about the same length as the face from wrist to fingertips. but like I said, you already seem to have a pretty good grasp of proportions and anatomy, so I doubt you really need help in that department.
    the only difference I've really noticed about proportions for different ages, besides the head shrinking, is that shoulders and hips are generally wider, the hips being more pronounced in females and the shoulders more pronounced in males. that's about it though. someone else might be able to give you more tips.

Thanks for the links.
    I dont understand how you measure the body parts by comparing them to the head, I thought the head size changes over age?

I tried comparing my proportions with other art over the internet,
    in some cases they match perfectly:

but in many cases either the hands appear to be too long or the legs appear to be too short:

I wonder if the relativeness of the hands+arms and legs changes over age. Does this make any sense?

Yeah that makes sense. It does change with age. A taller person would have a longer arms or legs than someone who is short.

Your proportions are right on because they match the body of the person. Other artwork may have pictures of a young boy, but with a different body type thus they have different proportions. Body Proportions depends on the body type of the individual rather than age.

Oh if you don't get the head thing, that is okay. It is actually more complicated than people make it out to be. Head size does change with age. The head size thing is just a relative unit used to measure different parts of the body. It is not exact, but it is a good measure to compare the torso to the legs for example.

I would say to keep comparing your picture to other pictures. You may find that you have to make slight adjustments or you may find that you don't have to change anything. Proportions are only specific to body, not age. So as long as everything matches well, you did good. Your picture looks spot on to me, so I hope you aren't comparing for too long. :)