Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: baka-neko art thread :D

Quote Originally Posted by ram View Post
    Once you understand about drawing complex backgrounds, cities, buildings, satallites and some sofas for your character to sit on, you'll understand that humans are just objects.. you can waste all your time with all these things once you atleast get better on drawing those water waves and shadow of clouds.
    Except learning complex backgrounds has NOTHING to do with understanding the human body. We are not simple. Our proportions are not something you can learn from looking at various uguuuuu anime styled drawings with extremely simple poses. Look at this:

Do you really think that humans are simple objects, and you don't have to learn how to draw them properly? Do you really think you can get away with correct, interesting poses without understanding the human body realistically? Why do you think he should limit himself when it comes to anatomy? Do you want him to continue on with an art style that has been overdone millions of times? I don't think you understand art and being an artist, plz try again. Sofa and building drawing skills means nothing when your character is boring, uninteresting, and does the same pose everytime.

you want this stupid cat to keep improving on human anatomy and do this and that which I know he/she(I still don't know your gender baka neko) would study years and years doing only that, but there's a bigger world out there than just human body.
    What are you talking about? Sure, he can draw landscapes and city scenes and what have you, but when his main subject is a human, why should he neglect understanding human anatomy?

We manipulate where we want to the light to go in 3d softwares, no matter what it is... ambient or parallel or spot, it's not just basic lights
    once you see how light and things move, and you'll understand more about it, if your the one who's really the one manipulating the light..

when you want some guy to just go and copy photo reference, what does he get at the end of the day? a finished copy of some photo,
    and nothing else and maybe he would think he's improving but really he's not, he might stick to copying photo reference for the rest of his life.
    except he is, because now he understands how light hits that object. If this guy isn't retarded, he can imagine this object in a different angle, and now he will understand. You can't learn shit with 3d software when it comes to something like this:

http://kxhara.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d503a4w

Unless you want to spend hours trying to sculpt the human body, with all of those details. But then it's not just the way the light hits. Look at the colors, look at the tones. If you seriously think this doesn't help people improve, you may need to get your head checked

again there's a far bigger world out there, now you might say, he can study backgrounds and while studying anatomy, you can but it's not good to focus on just humans and explore too many things that you don't know if it's even worth something
    I don't even understand what you just said dude

atleast how many of us here on mt can draw this?
    SPOILER! :

forgive me for spamming my art.
    Congratulations, you can draw boring buildings. You don't know anything about complicated architecture, you just know how to draw typical buildings in perspective. You can do what a high school student in Art 1 can do by the end of the class year. Until you can draw this:

I will not be impressed. Your art style and coloring style is still extremely typical and overdone (just take a look at every single anime drawing done, ever), your poses are all simple (the only poses you draw in your manga are standing up and sitting down, without an interesting perspective) and when you try to do a somewhat complex pose, you mess up on proportions. You cannot do male anatomy well either (The legs are too thin, the leg is longer than the other, the feet do not make sense. Even the girl's legs are too long. The guys shoulder/neck area is too weird looking)

Basically, what I'm saying is that you are not in the position to be telling someone to ignore understanding the human body, when you don't understand it yourself. That is what people call ignorance.

I'm throwing the towel on this debate, as it's not really my style to do debates..

I'm sorry for all this baka-neko, I think we spammed to much on your thread as it might no longer be comfortable for you to post another art.
    if clocked didn't show up I might feel like saying something but okay fine.

one last thing though
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post

Also, try to read sometimes, you might learn something one day.
    maybe... but it's not gonna be your post that I'm going to read.

Calm down guys no need to get angry T.T

I think every artist have to start by learning how to draw realisticly, I myself started like that, by copying reality you'll learn most of the principles and techniques used in drawing in general. Here's an example of one of my early copy drawings (2008, I started to draw in 2006) :

But then you will find artists that you like, and your style will change, for me I like moe stuff, so I took that direction...

So realism is important, but btw, even moe art is a form of art, with its own complexity, there are moe artists out there that can amaze you, with unmatched creativity and / or technique...

BTW Ram, I'm a guy -.-
    My DeviantArt: link
    My website: link

Quote Originally Posted by baka-neko View Post
    but btw, even moe art is a form of art, with its own complexity, there are moe artists out there that can amaze you, with unmatched creativity and / or technique...
    I have to disagree, with this as moe is more closed to design than art. This is because this "art style" (and better called design style) is more focused on the elaboration of characters under canonic aesthetic elements which only exist for the sake of the character and not art. And this is one of the problems, as art, must have each one of its elements to be stated for the sake of it and not design. There is also a problem in contrasts between the character and everything else on the canvas, as the style has only being stated for the design (again) of characters and anything else, making it even more focused on a design perspective than an art perspective, and quote dissociative between these two planes on the canvas.

Not saying you can't do beautiful things, but there is a distinction between graceful or aesthetic beauty and art. As many designers do beautiful things, but those are not art, and so as cars can have beautiful shapes, but its still design. And this conflict has seems to been forgotten a little (as I had already discussed with toast personally) when you see today illustrations and making comparison with old traditional illustrations, where the goal of the artist have changed, from the traditional aspect which was more artistic, thinking in emotions, provocations and so on, while today there is a evident focus on design.

Now, actually, my problem with your art style is the lack of thoughts in the elements you are picking for both design and art perspectives. This has been one of the reasons I never wanted to post here (but now that I'm here, why not), as some pieces have a very strong dissociation between childhood, cuteness but also sexuality. I'm always ok with sexuality, but the mix of the three really freak me out of this thread, reason why I never wanted to post critiques here.

As tzvety said, there seems to be a step back on skills, as you did really good things on the past, and your work today is very poor in many aspects. And I believe this is product of the canonic elements you are trying to achieve but you are forgetting rules that come from the realism. There is also a lack of conscious election on the design process, as I said again, you are mixing kids with sex, with in a sense is a horrible way to gain this "cute, naive and pretty" aesthetic, probably you are only going to achieve is to please people with this kind of taste while scarring others.

Also, I'm pretty aware chibi characters doesn't mean they are kids, but again, this is about a style that reflect something according to the decisions made on its elements, and with the chibi elements, you are making a reflect of kids elements, young kinds. Which added with sex create this very scary thing.

There is a problem too when you try to keep the cute style with a less chibi or moe elements, as we can see from this picture:
    SPOILER! :

Which is just another prove of the lack of awareness you have at taking design and stylistic decisions. The big problem in part is because moe style is very canonic, and so taking away that mind set while making it work, is a lot of work.

In conclusion, as I see, your problem is not necessarily at not understanding human body, but trespassing the knowledge to a different style and understanding what different choices while drawing can affect your style. If you want to keep doing moe kids in a sexual maner, I'm in no place to stop you.

Thread censored, as some of my drawings shocked some of you, that was not intended and please don't bring back this subject -.-

Here's some of my recents drawings, both done for some contests on the web, enjoy

Those are both really cute! I like the background design of the first one. I don't have any critiques. Keep up the great work.

Thanks ^^

Pretty cute but id like to see some more of that realism you drew!!1
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Like this ?

OAO

YES!!!
    THE CAT IS !!! The girl is also awesome but darker shades of the ...well shades couldn't hurt.
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.