Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fashion stand out= weird

101 Dalmations Member canime4ever's Avatar
    Mostly for inspiration, because I too lack in the creativity of designing my own outfits and such. Not only that but I adore the coloring method that that person used, and I'd like to see more of their work and get an idea of WHY I like it so much. :3

well if you say so, but H2SO4 isn't the only one who's the best in clothes and coloring.
    I made a thread about greatest artist but it doesn't seem that people do go there and add their favorites.

it's better to go to some otaku site where you can know more names of artists.
    H2SO4 is just one of my favorites but I have tons of artist I adore when it comes to art.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    They use a pretty common trick on comics (and in life) named "Copy & Paste". Look the window of the buildings and the clashes of light (also probably the cloth is done by photography, a great trick, but I prefer it as how Tony Harris use it).
    I am enlightened! But the characters arn't copy/pasted right?
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Trick in comic: draw the character in many poses so you can copy paste it. The textures and characters can be copy pasted and photography can help a lot more.

But I prefer how Tony Harris use it, because he doesn't take a picture and paint over the layers, he take the picture and use it as a reference to work.

Fashion stand out= weird

I'm pretty much thinking about this, If I create a fashion where the clothes will likely pretty much stand out that everyone will remember the character when they see the clothes will make a pretty big plus in manga.

But the problem is it might stand out too much that people will think it's weird to be in the same civilization as ours.

here's some examples,

It's all fantasy characters created by Hirano Katsuyuki

SPOILER! :

I'm just asking your opinions, Do you think it will look weird if you see people wearing these clothes in your country?
    Will you think "oh he/she is doing a cosplay" or something similar?

But if I make it too ordinary, Let's say like this one
    SPOILER! :

It won't stand out that much and my character will probably be too plain right? Or will it? Not really sure so please state your opinions.

Edit: I'm planning to reference Square Enix stuffs as well, Those might stand out too, or not? I don't really know.
    Last edited by ram; 11-30-2011 at 02:04 AM.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I guess I'm having a hard time seeing what you're actually trying to ask. The top spoiler is avant-garde styled, so yes, it would look weird if someone in real life would wear it. But they are perfect for comic characters. The bottom spoiler is very, very cool for real life, but would be slightly unoriginal and boring for a comic character.

Actually I'm trying to design a comic character that would actually fit in a civilization that we have,

Like if he/she walks around town looking for his enemies or something, no one would see him/her any weird from the clothes that he/she is wearing.

But If I make the character too non flashy then my character would lose his/her cool aura.

Why don't you try normal cloth but making the character to stand out by his personality, hairstyle and some physical features?

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    Why don't you try normal cloth but making the character to stand out by his personality, hairstyle and some physical features?
    ^ This is what I was thinking. If your character's appeal is dependent on their clothing, then you are doing something terribly wrong and need to rethink the character.

I've already decided for a long time now That my character would be black hair and black eyes just like me, (which is usually the most common type of character lol) Well we usually do something that makes our character look a little bit like us somehow.

personality would stand out, but I guess not the hairstyle.

Anyway I just decided for him to wear a normal clothing most of the time(depends on the situations of the scene)Thanks for the suggestions.