Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is suicide selfish?

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    No, however that seems like a rather unlikely hypothetical, and furthermore also a somewhat impossible one. If the suicider is literally the only person capable of caring for this person, then there is no one to argue that their suicide would be selfish.

And even then I think it is a tricky issue. I do believe people are entitled to a certain degree of selfish behavior. We are allowed to look out for ourselves. If a person's life is genuinely so utterly miserable that suicide is an otherwise justifiable option, I have to wonder if their right to self-interest trumps their obligation to the child/dependent.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Do you personally believe there is a line that could be crossed where you would find a person's suicide to be unacceptably selfish?

No it's not selfish. Clearly, people have made my life miserable and nobody can help me. By failing to help me fix the problems in my life you forfeit the right to claim my suicide a selfish act.

Also if Batman committed suicide while the Joker was about to blow up a school full of kids then yeah that's unacceptably selfish.
    Last edited by Sylux; 06-22-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Do you personally believe there is a line that could be crossed where you would find a person's suicide to be unacceptably selfish?
    I suppose, in theory, yes. But I cannot think of any examples off hand, so while it is something possible in principle, I do not believe it is quite within the realm of plausibility.

I'm not saying, of course, that I think suicide is always, or even usually, the correct - from a logical rather than moral - standpoint. I think most of the time people who take their own lives are, sadly, mistaken and that things can get better and/or things are not quite as horrific as they seem. But my thoughts on suicide in general aren't quite for this thread.

But yeah. I suppose it is possible but unlikely in the extreme for suicide to be morally unjustifiable due to selfishness. Assuming, of course, that we are dealing with a 'legitimate' case where life has become so unbearably miserable with so unlikely a chance of improvement that suicide is logically justifiable in the first place.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    In some cases, yes, in some, no. Both to suicide being selfish and unacceptably selfish.

Didn't we have this thread? Or at least this discussion in another thread?

Edit: How did I miss that in the OP. OTL

Jubeh, why all these questions about suicide?
    Last edited by indescribable; 06-22-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Jubeh has a suicide fetish, thought most of you guys knew.

As for the topic, basically what Tay said.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Jubeh has a suicide fetish.
    whats weird is i keep reading the thread title as "is suicide a fetish"

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    I think asking someone not to commit suicide because 'it's selfish' is insanely selfish.
    While I agree that this is true, that doesn't change the fact that the act itself in many cases still is selfish, as you think of your own misery first and foremost. Suicide, however, is someones final right, and a right that should never be taken away from you.

But I think selfish, by definition, is about a morally unacceptable level of concern with one's self. I think if life is so utterly miserable that suicide is a logically justifiable option, that it's not really being selfish, most likely. That it falls within morally acceptable levels of concern for self.

I mean, after all, we all acknowledge that a certain measure of self-interest is morally justifiable. No reasonable person would argue a woman should stay in a abusive marriage for the sake of her children. Clearly her right to self-interest trumps her obligation to her children in that case. Or, in an even more basic example, if I promise a friend I will do something with them on Thursday, but get violently ill the night before and spend Thursday resting and trying to recover.
    At a certain point the right to care for yourself trumps your obligations towards other people, I think. That's why heroic sacrifice is ideal but not a moral mandate, for example. I'm aware of no real reasonable moral system that would expect everyone to be willing to sacrifice their life for another. And, really, that's what calling suicie universally selfish is doing. It's saying that the suicider is at fault for, in effect, not sacrificing themselves for another person.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    No it's not selfish. Clearly, people have made my life miserable and nobody can help me. By failing to help me fix the problems in my life you forfeit the right to claim my suicide a selfish act.
    Some people are very good at masking their misery; it is not anyone else's job to fix the problems in the life of another person. Only if the suffering person asks can you legitimately help them and even then, it's still not your job.

Suicidal people who ask for help will generally become dependent on those they ask for help from, which is not healthy either. But the fact of the matter is, no-one can help you but yourself. Others can support you in whatever way they deem suitable, but they can't literally solve your problems. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink comes to mind.

I've found that a lot of suicidal people are martyrs and have not exhausted all possible avenues in solving their problems. They generally just think about it over and over and feel that there is no way to end the misery. I'm not saying that this is their fault or anything, it's what depression does.

I'm just saying that if someone asks you for help, you need to tell them that you're not fully equipped to help them and that it's not that you don't want to help them, it's more that you can't do it properly. You then need to find ways that they can help themselves such as hotlines, counsellors, et cetera.

There's a large difference between being a supportive friend, and being a hinderance to your friend's personal growth. Solving these issues themselves is part of personal growth and I'm not saying you don't listen when they need to talk, I'm saying you need to let them know that you're untrained and you may inadvertently do more harm than good.

If they're not willing to go to those means to help themselves, they're just looking for attention. People need to make these sorts of things abundantly clear in these situations.

It's also just not fair on the friend or family member to become a leaning post. Everyone has their own shit to deal with and we need to support each other, but having a one way street situation where you will only talk to that one person isn't a fair deal.

Think about it this way. If someone can't help themselves, how is anyone else expected to do so.

But to answer the question, yes, I think suicide is an incredibly selfish act. I would never tell that to a suicidal person, but it is.

Also sorry if I'm rather incoherent, I'm fairly drunk.
    i wake up every morning and brush my teeth with rainbows after i piss excellence and wash my face with glory