Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is suicide selfish?

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodos
    But I think selfish, by definition, is about a morally unacceptable level of concern with one's self. I think if life is so utterly miserable that suicide is a logically justifiable option, that it's not really being selfish, most likely. That it falls within morally acceptable levels of concern for self.
    selfish: "devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others."

I personally don't see this in itself as morally unacceptable. Like you said, sometimes it's reasonable to be self-interested, and sometimes it's not.

As a person who didn't go through because of the thought of how those loved ones would feel. Yeah I think it's one of the most selfish things you can do.

Similar to Outcast on this. Kind of.

I suppose in some instances it can be. In my case, I thought of all the trouble that it would cause those at the immediate scene and my other friends and family, etc.

But I don't know. I don't every situation warrants the same degree of selfishness. If that makes sense.