Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is suicide selfish?

Is suicide selfish?

I made a thread asking your thoughts on suicide, but I want to narrow the subject down a bit.

Do you believe suicide is a selfish act?

Depends on the situation, but in many cases I would say yes.

Why

Mainly because people tend to think only of their own misery and not about hurting the people they're leaving behind. Like I said, it depends on the situation. I just know more stories about people commiting suicide and hurting the ones that loved them, like a father leaving his family behind.

Do you believe in most cases somebody that commits suicide really doesn't think about the people they're hurting?

I don't know whether they thought about it or not, but apparently they thought it was not important enough to stop them. I'm no expert on the topic, I can only use my own experience and the stories I've heard and how I interpreted them.

I understand, but I just find it unbelievable that's a persons family and friends would be absent from a their mind in their final moments. Suicide notes show that a lot of the time young men and women are thinking about very specific people at the end of their lives.

And none of us are experts. I'll entertain any opinion, as long as its not morally outrageous.

Well I don't think I really have a definitive judgement on it, I used to have, but that's changed over time. It is a fascinating subject though, especially with the differing cultural views towards it.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    I think asking someone not to commit suicide because 'it's selfish' is insanely selfish. It's implicitly clear that the argument is essentially 'I do not care how much misery you are in, and how unlivable your life has become. Your company entertains me so I demand that, for my benefit, you continue to suffer."

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Do you feel the same way if the suicider is the sole guardian or parent of a small or developmentally challenged child?