Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OKAY NEW IDEA! Need feedback on concept, suggestions

Fenn

OKAY NEW IDEA! Need feedback on concept, suggestions

EDIT: new idea instead, on page 2.
    old idea:

I'd like to get working on a simple arcade game using Game Maker. The idea is a pseudo-fighting game, but one centered around projectile use. The inspiration is the fact that in most fighting games projectiles are a topic of complaint because people want brawling to be the focal point, so why not make a fighter centered around projectiles? Imagine the likes of Megaman and Samus battling it out (just as an example!)

The fighting space can be divided into thirds:
    - high (character's lower half when standing)
    - mid (characters upper half when standing)
    - low (empty space when standing)

Fighters can walk, sprint, shield, crouch (dodge high and mid attacks), jump (dodge low attacks), and super jump (dodge mid and low attacks)

Fighters will have three basic attacks:
    - beam: cannot be shielded
    - wave: covers high, mid, and low (aka cannot be dodged)
    - shot: can be shielded or dodged, but breaks through other projectiles.

Fighters will also have three special moves.
    Last edited by Fenn; 07-24-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    You should check out the Tohou fighting games (or play them) for inspiration on how to detail/balance this kind of system.

Yeah the touhou fighting games are good minus the randomness. Also senko no ronde.

Isn't Senko more of a straight arena shooter, though?

But speaking of which, I've been playing this old game called Gunhound, which is like Senko and Suguri's ancestor by a couple years. Check it out, I guess.

Fenn
    Hm sounds like I should check it out. I wonder if youtube has vids...

EDIT: just watched both games...guys I think I confused you about the genre. I'm talking 2D fighter like SSBB or SSFIV, but focused on projectiles. Imagine everyone is Samus or Akuma, but they have more types of projectiles and no melee...
    Last edited by Fenn; 06-30-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Um like this?

If senko no ronde used 2d and sprites there would be no question as to what kind of game it was. The graphics throw people off.

Well, what type of game is it? Judging from gameplay it's like a bullet-hell version of Gunhound.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Um like this?

If senko no ronde used 2d and sprites there would be no question as to what kind of game it was. The graphics throw people off.
    Similar, yes. Weird, when I looked up the name I got a top-down scrolling shooter akin to Ikaruga.

Mine will be that, with no melee, and less combo-oriented. It will feel more rock-paper-scissors based, although not that concrete and random of course.

Hmm. I dunno about that, then. Even the Tohou games have some melee to retain some semblance to a fighter. I don't know how you could incorporate the different hitzones without it...IMO, it wouldn't be very effective as gameplay would probably have to be significantly fast to avoid spam. Too fast to actually care about //where// you're hitting the opponent.

The only way I can see this working effectively is if you do like an Acceleration of Suguri type thing. But hey, if you do get this work, it'll be a pretty fresh experience.

I really cannot believe this...