Thread: Video Game Sprites

Fenn

Video Game Sprites

I'm about to attempt to make a game and since I'm a control freak I MUST make the graphics myself. Nothing intricate, simple arcade stuff.

Before I start, my plan is to draw them on paper and put em on my computer, and using image editing to finish em off. But I wanted to ask if this is a good idea and what I watch out for to avoid obvious mistakes.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    It's a great idea, but requires a lot of attention and some animation skill.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    It's a great idea, but requires a lot of attention and some animation skill.
    Thanks but care to explain? I'm not TOO worried about quality because they are really just there so I'm not using blobs as placeholder images while I program. As for animation skill...GM lets me create sprites with multiple images than cycle (called animations ) is that what you mean?

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    I think he's talking about fluidity of the character animations. One pixel can totally change how a sprite looks, for example.

Argh, pixel art on its own is stupidly time-consuming, and animation's even worse. Still, the end result is worth it. I've heard tell that it's best to get all the lines into an animation sequence before messing with color at all. Also, yes, apparently you're supposed to draw on paper first, then scale it down and trace in pixels.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Argh, pixel art on its own is stupidly time-consuming, and animation's even worse. Still, the end result is worth it. I've heard tell that it's best to get all the lines into an animation sequence before messing with color at all. Also, yes, apparently you're supposed to draw on paper first, then scale it down and trace in pixels.
    Oh, didn't know about the tracing step, damn. So I take it I can't just use color levels to sharpen the lines? Also, I did plan on doing color last.

Yeah you can't just shrink it and expect it to work. Chances are the lines that were most important will be lost in anti-aliasing, and you'll be using your drawing as guideline.

Fenn I can help you but tell me what size your sprites are going to be.