Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: people getting in the way of your artlife

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    I think what he means is he wants people to share their own experiences.
    yeah that's what i'm talking about... actually i'm the only one that i know personally that want to draw and become an artist..
    well that hasn't happened to me before but i'm thinking that maybe people had experience like that

if everybody against you then do one thing u can do what you desire SECRETLY this is what most of the persons do. Just go on with it . And when time comes REVEAL IT .

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    I think we had a conversation about this before but it was more like if your parents supported you or not. Quite a revelation that thread was but I'm too lazy to find it in the old forum so if anyone's interested in finding it - be my guest.

From my experience, most people are pretty supportive if they find out I draw. If they aren't, I usually don't a crap what they think so it works out either way.

Quote Originally Posted by goggy View Post
    My parents want me to become an artist but I don't want to.
    ikr

oh man, as some of you might know, i come from a country with no copy-right law, hence no appreciation for art. normally, artists in writing or painting in there have less income as a bus driver, and what i did was that i decided to do manga (which has a low rate of success even in japan) between all the other forms of art i could choose from. now my parents definitely weren't happy for me to even try art, let alone drawing manga, so they literally crushed all my dreams...

But so what?! now that they've done that, i'll just have to get so good that i'll be able to draw my manga at the same time as when i'm studying or working, that's it... case closed.

Fenn
    The only way people get in the way of my art life is that they unintentionally discourage me from trying something new. Most of the people in my life have appreciation for art, but only if they can understand it. If I go abstract or very fictional in my work I get those annoying "What IS that?" comments. Manga is usually good because the subjects are people, which they understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    I think we had a conversation about this before but it was more like if your parents supported you or not. Quite a revelation that thread was but I'm too lazy to find it in the old forum so if anyone's interested in finding it - be my guest.
    I couldnt find it ,, its probably before i joined :/

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Found it. What our mommas and poppas think about our art.

I don't want a future in art. Yet everyone that sees me doodling seems to think they have the right to tell me I shouldn't be pursuing a career in science and should just become an artist. :|

It actually really makes me angry.

(And I come from a family of artists, so they're all "D; Y U NO LUV US".)

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
    I don't want a future in art. Yet everyone that sees me doodling seems to think they have the right to tell me I shouldn't be pursuing a career in science and should just become an artist. :|

It actually really makes me angry.

(And I come from a family of artists, so they're all "D; Y U NO LUV US".)
    It's like when people see a tall person NOT playing basketball and tell them they're wasting their talent. They don't even factor enjoyment into the picture.

I'm torn. I feel like I would enjoy a career in art, but I also like how art is something I can do outside of work and daily duty.