View Poll Results: Do you think these books are worth the money?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, i'd buy them.

0 0%
  • No, I wouldn't buy these books at all.

3 100.00%
  • No, I think these books are mainly for beginners.

0 0%

Thread: How to Draw Manga: The series

Question How to Draw Manga: The series

How to Draw Manga: The series was something I actually enjoyed going out and buying, and saving up for the next one when I was little. I was inspired by Hayao Miyazaki's movies and wanted to learn how to draw in that style. Now, I have heard opinions on saying that the series is actually really vague in some things, and not really helpful at all. But considering that there are about 30+ books, I think the series is actually pretty alright. I occasionally go back and look through them to find tips on certain subjects and things. Plus, On amazon, you can buy the books used for peanuts, sometimes as low at 3 bucks a book.

Now I enjoy the series quite a bit. As its just they're just generally fun books for me to read because its fun learning these new things. I really wanna know what other peoples opinion about this series is. It just interests me. Do you think theyre worth the money?
    Last edited by Joosh; 06-27-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Some of them are just common sense while others are rather nice. The first volume was almost useless to me, but I particularly liked Volumes 2 and 3 of the Drawing Anime & Game Characters series since they gave me reference material on poses, expressions and whatnot to practice with.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
    Some of them are just common sense while others are rather nice. The first volume was almost useless to me, but I particularly liked Volumes 2 and 3 of the Drawing Anime & Game Characters series since they gave me reference material on poses, expressions and whatnot to practice with.
    Same. There are several books that are rather useless but I guess that's more in line with personal experience. For beginner's, I would assume that they would be more helpful than for intermediate or advanced artists.

Personally, I find the reference books (ex/ clothing encyclopedia set) more useful and a few of the specialized books particularly those that covered subjects that I normally didn't draw or haven't looked into yet.

Btw, this is for everyone in gerenal -
    there are one or two books which has like bondage and NSFW drawings in it. One covered tones iirc. Be careful if you pick that up especially if you're buying for a young one.

You know what'd be really cool if we could gather feedback on all the books, and have a sticky for which ones are good, and which ones are bad. We could also include serious and advanced stuff like "Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain" And "Human Anatomy for the Artist" Since I sometimes see people asking what books are good to get.
    Just an idea.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Well, there is a Recommend Your Favorite Drawing Book thread....

Bah forgive me for not seeing that. 0-0;