Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ego's conceptual concepts of concept *nudity Present*

Ego's conceptual concepts of concept *nudity Present*

Umm.. so i decided to EXPAND this thread past just the 100 theme because I need some critiques and guidance on a few things...

as for the 100 theme...
    Let's get started..

Romance

Mecha

Magic Girl

I plan on coloring the Magic girl one.. so yeah.. any crits now would be awesome...

Also.. i sketch and draw a lot, but not always the 100 theme.. if you want to see my other artwork.. please visit my gallery either here on MT.. or on DA at http://egoslip.deviantart.com/

Thank you all and enjoy.. hope to hear from you all soon!!
    Last edited by Egoslip; 04-12-2012 at 03:49 AM.

101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    Oh man three themes down already!! your fast!
    *falls behind and eats egoslips dust*

I think the magic girl, her hand is a little big if your going to touch it up before you colour it. Otherwise I like it. And the dragons cool.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    lol Love the first one. Btw, I suggest you bring the line in for the girl's neck. ...Unless you were going for a manly look? ; )

@Scarlet: Hey thanks for pointing that out.. i shall fix it when I finish the piece.. and I <3 dragons... or rather I love drawing them XD

@Rio: HEY.. long time no speaketh!! Thanks for the compliment and I see what you mean bout the neck.. easy fix thanx XD

*double post*

Muaha.. Baseball theme.. did a quick sketch from a reference.. i abhor baseball >.<

(reference pic http://browse.deviantart.com/photogr...t=240#/d3j3shz)

This sketch took me about 10 minutes..
    Last edited by Egoslip; 06-28-2011 at 01:03 AM.

101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    Oh god your fast im gna fail! Your just owning me in this theme challenge atm.
    Sketch looks quite realistic though. Nice work.

Hmm a WIP... comments? Crits?

also.. i like to do Grayscale stuff before adding color.. so that's why there is no colors...

Last edited by Egoslip; 07-04-2011 at 08:48 AM.

It looks pretty good overall. I think that there are a couple things that you can do to bring out the sense of space in the picture.

1) Try to have a foreground, midground, and background. You seem to have the mid- and background at the moment but no real foreground. Having a foreground brings the viewer into the picture more. It could just be some branches or leaves poking up around the edges of the picture to give the impression of someone peering through the brush. The foreground is always very dark in value compared to the midground which is again dark compared to a very desaturated and light background.

2) Really accentuate the difference in values between the fore-, mid-, and background. If something is behind something else make it lighter, even if what you are lightening is a part of an object in the same plane. This helps to give a better sense of space. For example, the three central trees should be lighter than the two outer trees as they are further away from the viewer.

3) Make the focus of your painting large. It's hard to keep a person's attention on a small focal point. You do a good job, however, of using the angles the trees are leaning to guide the viewer's eyes towards the monument/tombstone in the middle. A good test to see if your painting reads well is to zoom waay out until the picture is no bigger than a thumbnail sketch size and see if you can still understand what the painting is trying to communicate.

4) It's a good idea to include something as a reference for size. You could have a bird or some other wildlife that the viewer can use easily figure out how large the objects are in the picture. It can also serve as a way of indicating space if you include some that are large and close versus small and further away, as our ideas of space include the size of similar objects. Using this it can allow us to judge the actual size of the objects in the scene. Right now I'm asking myself, "Is this really a mammoth monument in an ancient forest with enormous trees? Or just a small tombstone with three normal trees around it?"

Hopefully, that helps a little. You're definitely on the the right track. If you want to explore what I've talked about more, you can watch Feng Zhu's tutorials on youtube or his site. I really have learned a lot from watching them and I can't recommend them enough. Here's his school of design's website - http://www.fzdschool.com/free_tutorials.htm.

hey Nisa.. thanks for the crits .. i think I just updated it as you posted..

I plan on having some spooky characters in the background and some every day objects as well as a foot path of stones for scale... and as you can notice I've already started blotching out a spot for an object in the foreground.. some limbs and leaves and such are a great idea.. i might take that into serious consideration.. as for the focal point.. yeah it is a little weak, but some glowy-ness when I do the color should help with that aspect a bit.

The atmospheric perspective you were talking about in number 2, great advice.. i'm still trying to understand the effect in full..

thnx for the crits

Edit: oh. and some color-ness.. still not finished.. got some touch ups to do.. a bit more rendering.. and some layer manipulations...

Last edited by Egoslip; 07-04-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Damn, Egoslip, why did you never make a comic?