Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RPGs -> Interactive Fiction?

101 Dalmations Member Arashi500's Avatar
    Clock, Everquest II had an interesting language system like that, and it definately added to the game. You were forced to go on language quests if you wanted to be able to interact with NPCs in some areas.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    The one of starmina and needs. I though the same, it would be unfun, but also its totally depend on how much effort you put on it. If I force every player to eat something every 10 minutes of game, its going to be stupid. But I think at giving 74 hours or more, makes total sense (because are also 74 hours in game).

I know its about accessibility. But if I'm on X kingdom I born there, I found it normal that things are in English, but if I travel to other location, I want to be unable to understand other and also be discriminated (lol).
    fallout new vegas was a lot more fun imo with hardcore mode on, if you went long enough without sleeping/eating/drinking you would start losing endurance, strength, your aim would get worse in stages until eventually you could die, there were also quite a few mods for oblivion that made you have to eat and drink and sleep, it actually made fast traveling a lot more dangerous because if you traveled too far you could end up the other end as weak as a kitten
    and the cool thing is they are optional and can be turned on and off whenever

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Hmm. It's a cool ideal, really, but it would affect how time is scaled in the game...which is the big question: would you prefer to have 1:1 scale time or sped-up time in-game? I prefer sped-up as 1:1 is tedious. Like walking around in Morrowind...

I think that could be remedied by limiting back tracking and making the environment worth exploring. If you have to walk through the same bullshit forest to get to some town you've been to 90 times then yeah travelling is going to be horrible. I just don't see a feasible way of doing that without it being really linear.

I guess what I want is an aragorn simulator haha. A game where surviving in the woods and fighting with your brain is more important than gear or power leveling.

There are a couple of games like that. Survival sims. but I mean, you can only do so much in survival sims.

I guess I wasn't clear. Survival sims are cool but it would also need

Im asking a lot I know, but dwarf fortress comes really close.

Except Dwarf Fortress leaves out handfuls of obvious choices for really obscure ones that border on nonsense. IMO, it's like a satire on roguelikes.

What options do you find missing

The inability to store a life-sustaining substance called water is one big peeve I had w/ DF. I mean, when I think of buckets and barrels...storing water is like the FIRST thing that comes to mind. And when I can't afford to brew/cannot make a convenient well, I don't want my dwarves running out into the wilderness to drink from streams and such.

Barrel + water = better Dwarf Fortress.

I haven't played the game in a while, so I have to refresh my memory as far as what other peeves I had. I had quite a handful, surprisingly. Like...they really make you go out of your way to micromanage but some options that you WANT to micromanage aren't micro-manageable.

Well I was referring to adventure mode when I said df was close to what I wanted.