Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RPGs -> Interactive Fiction?

Where did you took that rpg have static damage? rpg is actually the opposite to static damage, fps have static damage but no rpg, this is because rpg is based on attributes and stats, which make the damage and the game none static.

In Diablo you do between minimal, maximum and failed damage (also blocked with shield). In FF serie you also do damage between a range of it (you rarely do all the damage, only when you reach the total damage you can do). In contra-position with a fps where the hand gun does always X damage, and some times depending on where are you shotted.

101 Dalmations Member Arashi500's Avatar
    It's not unheard of for RPGs to use static damage, and I know that some do, and not all FPS use static damage (Borderlands) but those are the standard. I think a basic body part health system could be pretty awesome. You know divided between L/R arms L/R legs torso and head each having their own "health" sort of like Fallout 3/NV only with more dire repurcussions to having broken limbs and such.
    Last edited by Arashi500; 06-25-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi500 View Post
    It's not unheard of for RPGs to use static damage, and I know that some do, and not all FPS use static damage (Borderlands) but those are the standard. I think a basic body part health system could be pretty awesome. You know divided between L/R arms L/R legs torso and head each having their own "health" sort of like Fallout 3/NV only with more dire repurcussions to having broken limbs and such.
    Play Deus Ex.

You have that kind of health system. If you lose all your health in your legs you en crawling on the floor.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I don't know how I feel about that. I like the realism aspect of it, but it's not like you know when you're being shot in the leg specifically. it's not like the screen goes "WATCH OUT, that bullet is aimed at your leg!", and it's not like you can move JUST your leg out of the way, unlike in real life. So it's kind of a weird compromise of realism in a way.

In a lot of RPGs, I let characters take hits to make battles more efficient, so that's unappealing to me.

Funny things of rpg and mmorpg:

-Learning skills without training: I know training is boring in real life, and in a game is very close to farming, but I found very weird how easy is to have a skill or spell.
    I want a game (mostly in the field of mmorpg) where I don't gain skill when I level up, but I have to gain the skill training, doing quests, learning from a npc who is going to be my master. I want the experience of the apprentice who learn to reach his own selfish (or not selfish) goals.

-Health and Stats: I'm a normal human, but I have the strength of a dragon (and even more), the speed of something-that-run-fast, and the vitality of a Giant. I'm only at level 70, I'm a Godlike character who can't be killed by a sword, thats why there is so powerful swords in the game and over powerful monsters.
    I want a rpg or mmorpg where I don't gain more stats when I level up, or when I do, I win very little stats, almost imperceptible, so my character must live and die under his armor, sword and skills, not his stats.

-I don't need Food, Water or Medicine, I'm a farming machine!!!: Well I'm a human, but a human without any other need than kill monsters, that is my food, water, medicine and piss/shit. I never rest, I never sleep, I don't need it, I'm almost not human.
    I want a rpg that makes food, water and medicine important, not just a little buff to level up, but something more. You can do this creating a fatigue system for the characters, so resting, eating a drinking is important to keep going.

-From the Kingdom of Adarun to the ruines of Distia we all speak English: So yeah, gave me a world with a bigvariaty of language and cultures.
    Last edited by ClockHand; 06-25-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    A lot of games have skills where you can learn it immediately, but it's extremely ineffective. The Tales games, for example. Even though you learn a skill (like, you can imitate it) immediately, it doesn't do much damage until you level it up, which involves doing it over and over again until you get it right. I think that's kind of what you want.

I dunno how I feel about the second one. Huge emphasis on armors and weapons = lots of grinding, which is the downfall of many MMOs and even console RPGs. I mean, RPGs in general are in fantasy settings where there are giant monsters constantly running around that need to be killed...so I don't mind so much that people are ultra-strong because it suits the world. but yeah, it doesn't make much sense in general.

The third one has been done by many roguelikes. Roguelikes in general are extremely stressful and unfun because of how anal they are, so I dunno how I feel about that. I mean, trying not to starve and stay rested is hard enough in real life...but doing real-life things in a world where I also have to fight dragons and werewolves would be a pain.

And the last one is just about accessibility. Since everything has to be translated to English anyway, might aswell make it English.

You guys are coming up with a lot of alternatives to realistic combat but think about the game outside of combat.

In an rpg when you approach an enemy it begs few questions. Like how do I position myself, or what skills do I use, or what have you.

Rarely does a game ask you if the fight is really worth it. If settling some petty quarrel is worth possibly throwing your life away.

Now obviously in a game about gearing and certain types of combat this wouldn't work but think about all the times you got into a random battle and just didn't feel like fighting. Why do we throw fights at the player without ever giving them the choice?

Also building on clock's point about characters becoming "as strong as dragons," why not just unlock options as your character grows. I mean that's how skill work in real life. As I get better at guitar more options are open to me and those options lead to more options. And I don't just mean more spells that do different types of damage or something. I mean really meaningful options that will make the game slightly easier and give you more interesting decisions to make.

The one of starmina and needs. I though the same, it would be unfun, but also its totally depend on how much effort you put on it. If I force every player to eat something every 10 minutes of game, its going to be stupid. But I think at giving 74 hours or more, makes total sense (because are also 74 hours in game).

I know its about accessibility. But if I'm on X kingdom I born there, I found it normal that things are in English, but if I travel to other location, I want to be unable to understand other and also be discriminated (lol).

Stamina can be fun if used as a timer basically. Some of my most dramatic deaths in Shiren were due to starvation.

Also as far as languages go in most tabletop rpgs aren't there several languages anyway? Perhaps it could by like final fantasy X where you could slowly learn a language and understand it after a while. I mean it could be more engaging then finding hidden objects but you get the idea.

When you are talking about video games, there are lots of unrealistic things, it's normal. Besides, an extremely realistic game isn't that fun anyway. (besides, most of the time technical limitation is a big issue).

A: Hey, a meteor coming down to Earth, someone gotta stop it.
    B: Yeah yeah... let the government do it, I have exams to worry about.

Here's another strange and funny thing in RPG (though not only in RPG):
    A: You brought enough items?
    B: Don't worry, I bring 99 potion, 99 tonics, 99 revives, 99 elixirs, 99 hero potion, 99 protein drink, and several other bunches of 99 bottle of energy drinks. All is packaged neatly in my small backpack (who is he, Doraemon??? o_O).
    A: How about the equipment?
    B: Don't worry about that also, I have bastard swords, rapiers, damascus shield, spears, adventure cloth and boots, and a pile of other equipments for ALL of us (which is a party of 8 people). Again, all is packaged neatly on my small backpack.
    A: The money?
    B: I bring 99.999.999 worth of gold coins, all in hard cold cash ^_^