Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RPGs -> Interactive Fiction?

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Yeah, that's just something no game has addressed, aside from the ones with permadeath. It's impossible to make revival items believable.

Crono Trigger? ^_^

Well thats why most games use the therm KO and not dead now.

The main deal of RPG is the therm, because it just mean rol player game. Which mean the player must be a active participant of the story and the events, and most games do this. I think the therm is retarded, its to wide and open, and most games of these days are RPG. When you play Bioshock, thats a RPG, you are doing the rol of the main character who is trapped in Rapture.

Then the only real attribute of RPG is the game mechanic, because when we talk of RPG we think in a strategic combat system, while we think as a rol game to one like Zelda Ocarine of Time which have a more active combat system.

There are things that everyone gave to the RPG therm:
    -Customization and Upgrades.
    -Item Classification.
    -Stats and Skills.
    -Level and curve of Level.

Yeah many other games have those, but those are the elements that belong the most to this therm. More than story and making desitions, the rpg is more about a rol board game in a computer.

Yeah, an RPG is more like a hack-and-slash campaign or a dungeon crawl, while an interactive fiction is more like a fully-fledged RP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    Well thats why most games use the therm KO and not dead now.

The main deal of RPG is the therm, because it just mean rol player game. Which mean the player must be a active participant of the story and the events, and most games do this. I think the therm is retarded, its to wide and open, and most games of these days are RPG. When you play Bioshock, thats a RPG, you are doing the rol of the main character who is trapped in Rapture.

Then the only real attribute of RPG is the game mechanic, because when we talk of RPG we think in a strategic combat system, while we think as a rol game to one like Zelda Ocarine of Time which have a more active combat system.

There are things that everyone gave to the RPG therm:
    -Customization and Upgrades.
    -Item Classification.
    -Stats and Skills.
    -Level and curve of Level.

Yeah many other games have those, but those are the elements that belong the most to this therm. More than story and making desitions, the rpg is more about a rol board game in a computer.
    Wow I'm agreeing with Clock? Never thought this would happen.

one question: by therm do you mean theme? I understood the rest.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    He means thermostat.

I mean Term

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    I mean Term
    Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    Yeah, that's just something no game has addressed, aside from the ones with permadeath. It's impossible to make revival items believable.
    I love rpgs with permadeath. I've been wondering of a way to work in a really cool narrative into a roguelike without it being lame because you have to repeat it over and over.

BOF: Dragon Quarter was interesting because on your second and following playthroughs you unlocked new cutscenes or just different points of views for cutscenes you had already seen.

Really I hate the idea of healing items in general. Like how does it heal you? Does your body just start to stitch itself back together? If so why not just carry around an iv and have it flow into you always.

Suspension of disbelief.

Perhaps it's not RPG, but try Resident Evil. It's amazing that it's often stressed that one bite from zombie and it's all over. But in the game, you've been bitten, hacked, slashed, kissed, tounged, and everything to the point you're limping and almost died... and yet you're still fine.