Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For Someone New to Manga

One Thousand Member Ozzaharwood's Avatar
    Rofl, good response Rio.

There are limitless amounts of manga and anime out there, and to choose just a few to recommend would be hard for me, so I'll just say go to http://myanimelist.net/ and read the reviews and plot synopsis'. You'll be able to get an idea of what each story is about, and if it has good reviews you'll probably enjoy it. IMO, any anime or manga, no matter what the story or even if it has no story, is enjoyable to me.

You said anything will do, and you also said you want to see different art styles, so I have to recommend Bakemonogatari. This was one of the greatest art and art directing styles for an anime that I have seen so far. But I have to say I didn't really enjoy the plot (Which almost never happens with me), since it was so odd and eerie. Just read reviews and find what you think you'll like, but don't spend all of your time just reading reviews. Trust me, I did it and it was a little depressing doing that for long periods of time. Also, I found myself watching some badly reviewed anime and ending up liking them, so it works both ways.

Good luck, and I hope you found this a least a little useful. c:

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    I didn't recommend them. They're just a list of manga's that are fantasy-based. They're actually far and few in between now that I've thought about it so he should at least be able to see what is out there. Who knows? Maybe he does like reading super dumb stuff just to waste time.
    Well it's a recommendation thread, so I naturally assumed.

If he wants a list wiki has one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...nime_and_manga

He just won't know how good they are.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Well it's a recommendation thread, so I naturally assumed.
    Yeah, I was wondering if someone was going to assume that I was recommending them. Thanks for making it happen Jubeh. You rock. ; )

Speaking of which, I haven't read the ones you guys recommended. I'll have to check 'em out....

Rio@ He said he want a tolkien type of fantasy, which mean medium-highly contextualized and slow initial development. So most of those types of mangas are pretty far away of what he wants.

Oz@ I can't see how Bakemonogatari has a great directed art. There are plenty of more bold comics and mangas than that. Also the reviews on most of those sites are awfully made and mostly biased. I think the best he can do is to ask people and being very specific in what he wants.

I would stick with Jubeh recommendations, but the wiki link should have a warning because the many of those mangas/animes are not fantasy tolkien type (ex. Beyblade). So stick with Vagabond, Vinland Saga, Berserk and maybe some Claymore. Also look to some occidental comics and koreans, there is a wider variety of art style and well made stories.

One Thousand Member Ozzaharwood's Avatar
    Oh, I didn't read the manga, but the anime had great directed art. Sorry, I should've made that clear. He also said anything will really do, so it doesn't necessarily have to be fantasy. I've heard a lot of good things about Claymore though, so you should probably check that out. You are also right about the myanimelist thing to some extent, but if you read a few of the of the reviews you can get a general idea of what to expect. If you don't want those ones, there are other non-biased reviewers like "THEM anime reviews" and "The Nihon review." You can find a tonne just by using a search engine. I'm sure you'll enjoy p. much anything though if you are new to it, if you were like me when I first started.

He said "(Tolkien etc)". For all we know, it could've just been a well-known author's name thrown as an example. But whatever - semantics. In the end, it's up to him what he's looking for. I'm surprised he hasn't replied yet considering how many replies he's got already.

Wow, thank you for the responses everyone!

As others have pointed out, fantasy is just a preferred genre. I'm certainly open to anything else with good art, story, characters etc. Mainly, I'm just looking to familiarize myself with manga as I begin to draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    I'm surprised he hasn't replied yet considering how many replies he's got already.
    Sorry, I've been working. I do appreciate the responses though. Very much. Being new to this whole art has got my lost. But I'm excited - I have some good recommendations now. Thanks again everyone!

101 Dalmations Member Arashi500's Avatar
    Drifters by Kouta Hirano is very Tolkien-y. It's got elves, hobbits that are actually called hobbits not halflings, dwarves, the like. The main characters however are stylized versions of historical figures that have been (for unexplained reasons as of yet) been brought the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Agro View Post
    Wow, thank you for the responses everyone!

As others have pointed out, fantasy is just a preferred genre. I'm certainly open to anything else with good art, story, characters etc. Mainly, I'm just looking to familiarize myself with manga as I begin to draw.

Sorry, I've been working. I do appreciate the responses though. Very much. Being new to this whole art has got my lost. But I'm excited - I have some good recommendations now. Thanks again everyone!
    NP, Agro. I was wondering if that was the case. Some of us here get caught up with RL sometimes.

Seeing as you're open to anything, I would recommend Battle Angel Alita by Yukito Kushiro, a science fiction/cyberpunk tale. Btw, I can't believe I forgot it but if you can get your hands on it - I recommend you check out Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki. The manga is more in-depth than the anime (if you've ever seen it) so it's worth a look into.

(On a side note, if you need to add something and no one has replied yet, please use the Edit Post button at the bottom of your post.)

I'll look into that. Thanks.