PDA

View Full Version : So, what kind of music do you listen to while drawing?

justforflag
05-28-2011, 11:04 AM
The hint is in the title. If you listen to any at all, that is.

Come on MT, don't disappoint me!

Ceta
05-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Pretty much whatever I've put in iTunes, which consists mostly of Japanese pop music with some Maroon 5 and Linkin Park songs mixed in.

Bacon_Barbarian
05-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Sort of like Ceta. If it's a random picture, I listen to what ever shuffle brings up. But if it's something related to the story on my head, I have a particular playlist (that's always growing) which currently includes:

The Good Life by Three Days Grace
Shadow of the Day by Linkin Park
Uprising by Muse
One Step Closer by Linkin Park
The Catalyst by Linkin Park
Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
21 Guns by Green Day
If Today Was Your Last Day by Nickelback
In the End by Linkin Park
Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) by Eurythmics
Cha-La-Head-Cha-La by Hironobu Kageyama
Time of Dying by Three Days Grace
Animal I have Become by Three Days Grace
Are We the Waiting by Green Day
Reach For The Stars by Cash Cash
Beat It by Michael Jackson
Holiday by Green Day
Dani California by the Red Hot Chili Peppers

I also use this for writing. Sorry if I was too comprehensive. ^^;

Blue_Dragon
05-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Depends on my mood. I like to listen to Dir en Grey a lot when I draw, or Gorillaz. David Bowie, Gaga. Usually something fast paced so I'm upbeat and in the mood to draw. Of Montreal I listen to a lot. I also like to listen to anything in another language, like the songs on the Darjeeling Limited sound track ( and modern Indian pop)

Delphinus
05-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Whatever I feel like at the time. Though I prefer calm music or no music at all when drawing, since if I have faster music I tend to spend less time over it and the end product turns out worse. When doing other creative stuff (writing, programming) I listen to w/e, though.

Celestial-Fox
05-28-2011, 07:48 PM
I listen to whatever is on my computer, which includes, and definitely isn't limited to: American hard rock, French rap, Indian soundtrack, British folk, Swedish indie pop, Israeli jazz-world fusion. I would like to say I'm well-rounded in my musical tastes, and it's all because of darn Pandora suggesting weird stuff, haha.

Delphinus
05-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Pah Seefy, you're not truly rounded in your music tastes until you listen to and like Japanese Industrial Cyberpunk Avant-Garde.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-77UeWmgpmA

CypressDahlia
05-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Yeah, Seefy. You're not truly rounded until you listen to power tools.

Delphinus
05-28-2011, 10:12 PM
There's a reason they call it industrial.

EDIT: When doing creative stuff I mostly listen to electronic and rock music. Occasionally electro-rock music.

CypressDahlia
05-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Korean house music, personally. Helps me relax and loosen up.

Sylux
05-30-2011, 09:02 PM
I listen to classical music... OTL

Celestial-Fox
05-30-2011, 10:02 PM
I bought the "99 Darkest Pieces of Classical Music" from Amazon.com for two dollars. If you're looking for cheap classical compilation albums, Amazon's got a lot to offer. :>

Delphinus
05-31-2011, 04:13 AM
It'd better have this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHPYOcgde98) on it. Although technically that's not classical music. Also it'd better have Lux Aeterna from Requiem For A Dream (which also isn't technically classical) and Verdi's rendition of the end of Dies Irae (which is romantic rather than classical, I think...). And Grieg's Piano Concerto in A Minor, which might actually be classical in the true sense.

...you know what, fuck it, everything I listen to in terms of classical music might fall into 'darkest pieces'. Except Greensleeves, which inexplicably comes into my head when I see violent things irl or otherwise.

EDIT: Grieg wasn't a classical composer either? (He was Romantic.) EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE.

General_Marmalade
05-31-2011, 07:54 AM
Lately I've been listening to The Witcher II soundtrack whilst I'm drawing.....it's really good fantasy music and quite inspiring....and if not that then some other classical or Orchestral type stuff.............and if not that then what ever.......hah aha ha ahahahahaha

ClockHand
05-31-2011, 11:28 AM
When I draw I don't listen anything... maybe the tv but nothing I would care.

When I paint I listen stuffs that provoke me, probably Losing My Religion, Mars Volta, Melt Banana, Phantomas, Hedwing and The Angry Inch Sound Track, American Beauty Sound Track, Queen, etc (everything that gave emotional or censorial provocative).

justforflag
05-31-2011, 01:10 PM
Bacon_Barbarian, you can't be too comprehensive or elaborate :)

I generally listen to random stuff, from regular songs to musical pieces to soundtracks. I generally try to look for something that has a little to do with what I am drawing though. If it's a fight scene, for example, I would go for Disturbed or rock/metal. If it's calm or a scenery I usually pick soundtracks.

Matt
05-31-2011, 02:34 PM
@General Marmalade - That game has got a seriously awesome soundtrack.

@Delph - I also like dark classical; Lux Aeterna was one of my favorites for quite a long time (I over-listened to it, though).

It's best to listen to whatever fits what you're drawing. I listen to rock or metal or techno for a battle scene, Nightwish for anything fantasy-related (and as of recently, Witcher 2's soundtrack). I go to production music for nearly everything, though. This song is one of my favorites (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EptSSXNHIfg), as is this one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-hBb97Uclc&feature=related)

Celestial-Fox
05-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Yeah, Seefy. You're not truly rounded until you listen to power tools.
Hahaha, actually when it started, it wasn't so bad (given my expectations), but I ended up hating it at the end because there was zero progression of ideas. XD

Annnnd very recently I've been getting into crappily dry-recorded simple stuff that does no one any good, so I listen to that a lot, too.

Fenn
06-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Epic Score. Almost always Epic Score.

weez18
06-02-2011, 01:31 AM
i might sound kinda old but i listen to beethoven's 5th and 9th symphony they sound the best to me ((:

Rio
06-04-2011, 10:01 PM
I listen to whatever I'm in the mood for from pop, rock, alternative, hip hop and rap, anime soundtracks (like Evangelion - love it!), video game soundtracks (particularly like Nintendo's tracks), and weird stuff on You Tube like the Convenience Store track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCanmf71E8o

Japxican
06-06-2011, 08:53 PM
I listen to a range of stuff, but I mostly like some chillaxing rock and easy listening. When I'm in an Irish mood, I'll listen to Celtic and when I'm thinking of something epic, I'll listen to some soundtrack, particularly James Newton Howard and/or Danny Eflman. But I'll also listen to electronic and alternative.

weez18
06-07-2011, 04:47 AM
lol i also listen to tht song from toy story idk the name of it tho

GunZet
06-08-2011, 06:28 PM
lol i also listen to tht song from toy story idk the name of it tho
"You have a friend in me"
?

weez18
06-08-2011, 07:06 PM
"You have a friend in me"
?

haha yea tht one

Japxican
06-08-2011, 10:45 PM
That's a good song.

weez18
06-09-2011, 03:24 AM
yea i really like it ,,,its calming ((:..its really inspiring X))

CypressDahlia
06-09-2011, 05:56 AM
If you like to be relaxed while you draw, I recommend checking out DJ Okawari, Ayur, Uyama Hiroto, Nomak and Bop Alloy. Always good for relaxation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGd5Do9L5EM

Delphinus
06-11-2011, 05:46 AM
Most recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO9sGiVphYg

It goes well with reading Wuthering Heights and writing romantic-style poetry. I should probably read On Murder Considered as One of the Fine Arts.

M3S1H
06-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Depends on the picture I want to draw. If I want to draw more battle-oriented scenes, I usually listen to:

Help is on the way - Rise Against
Prayer of the Refugee - Rise Against
The Irony of dying on your birthday - Senses Fail
Jessica Kill - Sum 41
Back Where I belong - Sum 41
Screaming Bloody Murder - Sum 41
Sell your Soul - Hollywood Undead

If it's more of a relaxing scene or anything that implies happiness, I usually listen to:

Ready to go - Panic at the Disco
The ballad of Mona Lisa - Panic at the Disco
In Too Deep - Sum 41
The Jester - Sum 41
Crush Crush Crush - Paramore
Audience of One - Rise Against

If the scene's about sadness, these songs are what I listen to:

Happiness Machine - Sum 41
Pieces - Sum 41
Holy Image of Lies - Sum 41
Endgame - Rise Against
Still Searching - Senses Fail

Slurpee
06-14-2011, 03:28 PM
yaaay im not the only one here who listens to classical music :)

Fenn
06-14-2011, 10:39 PM
yaaay im not the only one here who listens to classical music :)

No you aren't, although I'm more of a trailer music person than Mozart or Bach. More orchestral. I find classical too relaxing, it won't help me stay awake.

toast
06-20-2011, 06:58 PM
when I feel like trying to make something really cool and weird, I listen to animal collective lol. Like, for some reason, the music helps me get super creative.

One song that really really effects my mood to something energetic is linoleum by NOFX, because everytime I'm drawing and that song comes on, I'm suddenly scribbling.

Hamachi
06-20-2011, 10:57 PM
I've started listening to anything with a shamisen in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWtU1uTSqJw&feature=related
For those of you who've played DDR, this is a classic (lol)

weez18
06-21-2011, 02:12 AM
haha i loved ddr my fav song was sandstorm ^^

Kokoro_Hane
06-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Most of the time songs are stuck in my head when I draw, but once in awhile I do listen to music.

Examples of songs:
"Watercolour" by Pendulum
"Angel of Darkness" Alex C. feat. Yasmine
Songs by Within Temptation or Nightwish
Japanese music

And sometimes I just turn on the radio and listen to Air1.

Afrobit
06-26-2011, 12:09 AM
I mainly listen to soundtracks to movies, shows and what not.

Electronic-type or hip-hop/rap-style music made by DJ s. (Bloody Beetroots, Daft Punk, Nujabes, Borgore, Madlib, Tyler the Creator, etc.)

D8 It doesn't show up in my stuff really.

BozeSG
06-26-2011, 07:16 AM
I can't listen to music while drawing, cause if i do, i find myself running around, making up stories in my head in a matter of minutes...

Joosh
06-29-2011, 02:01 PM
I listen to whatever kind of music that what im drawing feels like.

Scarletlight
07-01-2011, 04:10 AM
I like motorhead for when im drawing mainly. Il take some older stuff on occasion though.

flowermage
07-01-2011, 12:59 PM
I listen to music from the "Common practice period", so anything classical, romantic, or baroque.

OST's from some of my favorite anime work very nicely, too. The OST for Haruhi Suzumiya no Shoushitsu has been played many, many times.

Or sometimes I'm in a j-pop mood.

GunZet
07-01-2011, 05:46 PM
I listen to a little of everything depending on my mood. But most of the time you can find me listening to the most aggressive of extreme metal or rap.

bambi
07-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Things like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkpJdXAhjXU

Fenn
07-19-2011, 04:56 PM
For you trailer music buffs, google the artist Future World Music. Just got the public album, good stuff.

Pigo-cm
07-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Cool to see I'm not the only one listening to animal collective while drawing.
I don't really know... I listen to a lot of stuff while drawing. Usually the entire blood sugar sex magik album, some mastodon, the digable planets, some tool, Blur, Gorilaz, little barrie and metric. Stuff like that I guess.

bambi
07-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Gorillaz is good stuff.

Black_Shaggie
07-21-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm an 'old school' guy at heart. I grew up in the 80s & I love Hip Hop. Not this diluted materialistic drivel that pllutes the airwaves today, but the older stuff like Run DMC, A Tribe Called Quest, Grand master Flash & the Furious Five & Eric and Rakim. When I'm working, grab this old CD from a group called Newcleus & it takes me back to when I was 10. This puts me in the perfect creative frame of mind to get to drawing.

Rio
07-21-2011, 10:31 PM
So you only listen to 80's "oldies"? Funny you should say that because there are some artists today who have put out songs that sound like they could belong in the 80s. Here's something to take you back - one of my fave 80's* hip hop songs: Ditty by Paperboy. <3

* Ok, it was technically released in the early 90's if you want to get technical <.<

Renzokuken
07-22-2011, 07:48 AM
Muse. Brand New. Numerous J-bands I can't be bothered to name. That is all.

Black_Shaggie
07-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Ha ha ha!

"Do the ditty if you, wan to...
Because then I can see you if I, want too..."

Yes I remember that! West coast stuff is cool. I listen to a lot of newer guys too, just not the radio stuff I guess. My favorite hip hop group EVER is the Roots (R-double O-T-S check the flow!). Shoot...I even like MC Front-a-Lot. I also love Rush, The Police, Cameo...aw man I just miss the 80s!