PDA

View Full Version : Professional Comics

KakashiTheSharingan
05-23-2011, 10:28 AM
I want to know does most comic book artist or manga artist makes their own manga...Do they make their scripts and draw their comics or some just writes them? Do you think Akira or Kishimoto draws and writes their comics or they does all of it? Does the creator of the comic or manga is the one that draws it but doesnt writes it?
Additional Question:
Is it good to be self-create a manga or comic or work together? I think Mark Crilley works alone.
Can anyone give me some advice on inking comics? My super downfall when I make comics.

ClockHand
05-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Both comic book artists and "mangakas" can be just the artist or the artist and the writer (in the comic book artist is more weird to find someone who does both).

It's quiet hard to know who is the creator, you need to know if the artist was payed to do the art, or he was a co-worker of the writer. Or was the artist who payed a writer to help in the story (very weird situation). Also if the comic is from a editorial like Marvel or DC it doesn't matter, the comic is property of the editorial (it can depend of the contract).

I have to add that the artist in only rare situations work alone, because there is always a crew of artist who help with the work.

To the additional question:

It depends, being the writer and artist of a comic book is 2 times harder, because you have to write the script, know about theory in scripting and of course by the artist. It's more work and have more chances to fail (because if you are bad in one thing it can destroy all the work), but it has more integrity (you can achieve more integrity in a co-work if both artist and writer work together and not alone).

Advice in inking comic? just practice.

Rio
05-23-2011, 03:46 PM
It depends, being the writer and artist of a comic book is 2 times harder, because you have to write the script, know about theory in scripting and of course by the artist. It's more work and have more chances to fail (because if you are bad in one thing it can destroy all the work), but it has more integrity (you can achieve more integrity in a co-work if both artist and writer work together and not alone).Not only that but if you are the artist and the writer, proceeds from the sale of your work will go mainly to you. It will not have to be split between you and your partner if you form a team. But yeah, pretty much what Clock said is correct. You either:

a) work all positions and do everything yourself (you own the rights to the work, get all the profits)
b) work as a team with one or more other people (you share the right to the work and split all profits)
c) work for a company to create the art or story (you do NOT own the rights to the work and you basically get paid on commission to create it)
d) get licensing rights to create something based on someone else's work (you own the rights to make derivative work but you must pay the fee to get that license and any other royalties you may have to cough up)

Most artists with grueling schedules have assistants to help finish the artwork on time for the deadline. These assistants, though they may be named in the back, do not have any right to the work itself. For example, the team CLAMP shares all profits and credits but someone like Hiro Mashima (Fairy Tail, Rave Master) gets all the credit for his works but he is known to have assistants help with the art. It's basically the artist hiring someone to help out with the business, so to speak. Manga-ka's who have monthly deadlines may be more able to handle the production by themselves alone so they may not have assistants to help them out.

Anyways, if you want to learn more about who wrote what or who has assistants or not, you should check out the back (or the front) of a graphic novel from some random series. You find out a lot just by reading who's mentioned there whether the person works by themselves, is writer-artist team, or if they work solo but have assistants to help.

ClockHand
05-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Yeah, payment is other story, it depend of the contract (are you payed to do it, are you hiring people, are you forced to join with someone, etc).

I like the use of other people to help you, specially if they are new in the industry because it help for the formation of new artists and their introduction in the industry.

And as Rio said, read the back of the comic, sometimes you can notice the hand of different artists on the work and maybe you can find someone new to learn from. Also some miscellaneous facts, like the symbol of Hellboy (the hand with the sword) wasn't made by Mike Migenola, but he owns it.

Edit: Also reading the back of the comic can be great to know the different jobs involving the work, as example photography and 3D modelers. Some artists use those for their works (gantz, tony harris, etc).

KakashiTheSharingan
05-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Wow! Thanks a bunch! I really learned something today! I really appreciate it!