PDA

View Full Version : Dada & Kids

DadaAndKids
05-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Dada & Kids Ent. is made up of a Dad and his Two Daughters. I am Dad a Software Developer, or shall I say a Graphic Artist turned Computer Programmer. I wanted to teach my 14 & 11 year old Daughters how to program, so I decided to work with them to create a video game for Xbox Live XNA.

My 11 year old who loves to draw Manga Characters and is highly creative has my Artist Skills. My 14 year who has a 98% average in Honors Geometry and an A average in all her other classes also holds a 4.0 average. She is very logically and has my analytical skills. Now I been a Fan or Anime/Manga styles ever since I saw Fist of the North Star and many others back in the early 90s. But my daughters have me beat, they live and breathe Manga. While Naruto is their favorite and know everything there is about Naruto, they know a lot of other Anime.

While teaching them both a little of each my 11 year will spend most of her time in Graphics and my 14 year in Programming. While using C# and XNA for Programming, I thought Manga Studio (EX 4.0) would be great to learn some Computer Graphics. Unfortunately I have no idea how to use the software so I am here to learn. Id be grateful for some friendly advice from the pros here. Thanks.

Rio
05-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Hey there! Welcome to the site. C: If you're looking for Manga Studio tutorials - I actually made some. They can be found here (http://www.mangatutorials.com/index.php?do=/news/category/all-news/software/). I've used the older version in the tutorials but they should still be relevant to latter versions of MS. If you have any drawing or other related question, the best place to go is the Drawing, Animation & Tutorial section (http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?15-Drawing-Animation-amp-Tutorials).

Oh, and checking this may help as well: All About Manga Paper (http://www.mangatutorials.com/index.php?do=/news/all-about-manga-paper/). See you around!

Ozzaharwood
05-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Hey, welcome to the site. You seem really proud of your daughters, and by the way that you explain them you should be. I really need to do better in math... lol. Anyways, hope you stay awhile and make sure to check out the tutorials section of the site and post some of your art in the critique corner, where you can get some advice from the more experienced members. See ya around.

Edit: Ahh Rio you beat me D:

Rio
05-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Edit: Ahh Rio you beat me D:
Oh ho ho ho!
:cat_ohoho:

DadaAndKids
05-19-2011, 07:49 PM
I think I'll be here for a while, this site has the best and/or most well organized collection of tutorials I've found anywhere. Personally I have not put pen to paper/pad in quite a few years. My Graphics work has become, well "WORK". Now that its my job it all has gotten boring to me. The only graphics work I do now is when I'm designing software or a website and sometimes do a lil print ad graphics for friends. But since I've starting seeing my daughters get into Manga and have there walls full of drawings I got involved and its becoming fun again. Once I get back into that groove again I'll post some drawings. But right now I'm still teaching my daughters the basics of drawing, they are working on raw talent right now.

jubeh
05-19-2011, 07:54 PM
Who you are like a single being with three minds

Hayashida
05-19-2011, 11:52 PM

That'd be cool... But scary at the same time.

Kodos
05-20-2011, 03:05 AM
inb4 Christianity

DadaAndKids
05-20-2011, 09:23 AM

What's scary is ...how did you know?

Lucifer
05-20-2011, 11:24 AM
I hope you plan to keep us updated of your game design endeavours, I for one would be very interested.

ClockHand
05-20-2011, 02:53 PM
I want to look your art work to learn more.

Also, nice to see a dad interested in his kids hobbies.

Slurpee
05-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Yup, I agree with Clock! WELCOME TO OUR WEIRD HAPPY FORUMS.
PLEASE STAY WE PROMISE TO BE NICE

Evil_Cake
05-20-2011, 11:12 PM
PLEASE STAY WE PROMISE TO BE NICEwe mustn't make promises that cannot be kept

Bacon_Barbarian
05-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Cake has a point. May want to keep your kinds out of Random Chat.

DadaAndKids
05-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Yea I'll be around for a while. I try to do for my kids as I wanted when I young. They are both honor students so I try to spoil them. And they probably would not spend to much time on this site anyway, they'd think its boring. They spend most of their time on the PC on Naruto.com and GoGirlsGames.com

They are doing the writing and the character creations for both the comic series and the video game. I'm just the editor. I don't change anything they do unless they ask. But they already have a great story. They just finished the storyline episode 1 and it was pretty good. Can't wait to get it out there.

Hell_Baron
05-22-2011, 05:53 AM
Hey Dada, will you be posting the progress on this site?
i'm REALLY curious how it will turn out.

DadaAndKids
05-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Hey Dada, will you be posting the progress on this site?
i'm REALLY curious how it will turn out.

Yea I will be posting on here soon. Once I teach them a few techniques especially shading they'll be fine. They'll probably be better than me soon.

justforflag
05-23-2011, 01:11 PM
inb4 Christianity

Ramen.

scanten71-402san
08-20-2011, 03:16 AM
Welcome aboard! BTW I also know an 11 years old girl who loves drawing manga. I am more pleased to meet younger mangakas (preferably tweens or pre-teens) than older ones.
Your older one is not a kid already, she is a teen.
And this is manga drawing forum, not a programming forum. For game dev, go to www.gamedev.com or similar websites.
I want to correspond to your younger one and share my pictures and stories (BTW I'm not good at stories because I can't fit them to rating).

jubeh
08-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Scanten this thread is from like 3 months ago stop bumping old threads

Delphinus
08-20-2011, 09:01 PM
The first thing I thought of when I read your username was some sort of bizarre syncretism of Dadaism and small children. Sorry, it had to be said.

Welcome to the forums.

Kodos
08-21-2011, 12:53 AM
The first thing I thought of when I read your username was some sort of bizarre syncretism of Dadaism and small children.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

Fenn
08-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Welcome aboard! BTW I also know an 11 years old girl who loves drawing manga. I am more pleased to meet younger mangakas (preferably tweens or pre-teens) than older ones.
Your older one is not a kid already, she is a teen.
And this is manga drawing forum, not a programming forum. For game dev, go to www.gamedev.com or similar websites.
I want to correspond to your younger one and share my pictures and stories (BTW I'm not good at stories because I can't fit them to rating).

We have a game developer forum so he can certainly talk about programming.

I'd be wary when correcting members as a junior member.