PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions

Ceta
05-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Tried posting this last night, but couldn't quite get it to save. Thankfully I finally got it to work.

Anyway, that aside, in case you've been wondering where I disappeared to, I was transferred to a different city and had to move. Took a lot longer to get the internet back up and running than I had expected. All in all, the move went smoothly and am currently in the middle of trying to get everything organized properly. A few days ago, while looking for work materials, I came across the notebook that I was using for my 100 theme challenge. For the challenge, I decided to draw a 4-panel manga for each theme and got a pretty good amount done (around 40+ if I remember correctly). It was a lot of fun to do at the time, but was lost and forgotten as soon as work became crazy.

That said, here's my problem:

Since the strips were drawn in a notebook, transferring to and redoing all of them on the computer is a total pain. Therefore, I plan to redraw the strips onto actual comic paper to make the transition from paper to digital format a lot smoother. Unfortunately, with how long it's been since I last worked on it, my feelings have changed quite a bit and I'm currently debating on whether I should keep the characters in their original format -- cutesy, anthropomorphic animals -- or redesign them as human characters.

The designs, for the most part, won't have too much affect on everything I've currently written (any rewrites look to be pretty minor) so it wouldn't be hard to do, but I thought I'd get peoples' opinions first before making up my mind.

So, what do you think? Should I keep the designs as they currently are? Or should I redesign them as normal humans? (FYI, I have no intention of making them furries so don't bother suggesting that.)

Evil_Cake
05-14-2011, 01:28 PM
follow your heart

Hayashida
05-14-2011, 04:01 PM
What kind of comic is it? If it's a comedy one, you could try sketching the same comic twice with the two versions of the characters and see what people find funnier and then go from there.

jubeh
05-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Redesign them as humans

Ceta
05-14-2011, 09:48 PM
follow your heart
haha....I would if I had one. ;)

What kind of comic is it? If it's a comedy one, you could try sketching the same comic twice with the two versions of the characters and see what people find funnier and then go from there.
Since, yeah, it's a comedy I'll give the two versions a shot and post it here when finished. Hopefully I can get more of a consensus by doing so. Probably be a day or two before I can get on that, however, since 1) I really need to get my apartment cleaned and 2) I haven't quite figured out where my scanner is yet.

Redesign them as humans
So, that makes it Humans = 1, Animals = 0. I really need to figure out how to make a poll....

Ceta
05-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Took a little longer than I had planned but here's the comparison:

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd169/roninceta/100%20Theme%20-%20New/testmanga_ninja.jpg

A few notes about this:

--> The human designs are still works-in-progress, but for the sake of getting the comparison manga made, I cut development short. If the final decision is to change to the human designs, I'll resume redesigning the characters.

--> When the final comics are posted online, there will be an English version and a Japanese version. For now, though, I'm just posting the Japanese version. (Mainly since I didn't have time to make an English version. :cat_exasperated: )

Anyway, please give me your opinions on which designs I should use.

Bacon_Barbarian
05-22-2011, 11:16 AM
I personally prefer the humans better, but I really do think it depends on what you're going for. If it's suppose to be less serious and more humorous, I would go with the animals.

Ceta
05-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks. That helps a lot. ^_^

Hayashida
05-22-2011, 05:17 PM
I think I could make a better decision if I knew what they were saying and stuff, but from just looking at it, I would say the animals fit it better.

jubeh
05-22-2011, 06:06 PM
I hate to say it but I like the animals more.

ClockHand
05-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Animals.

Nyarlathotep
05-23-2011, 03:58 AM
Yeah, I'd say the animals fit the feel better.

Ceta
05-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. ^_^

Seems the votes are pretty unanimous, so I'll be putting the human designs aside and maybe save them for a different project. Since I have a bunch of things that need to be taken care of first, it'll be a bit before I can get started but I'm hoping I can get started soon.

Hayashida
05-23-2011, 01:33 PM
What you should do is every once in a while, replace the animal characters with human characters, but make them really super detailed. If you know what I mean.

ClockHand
05-23-2011, 03:36 PM
What you need to do is a bunch of rats who play music and that gave life to the character and the story.

Oh wait this idea is from someone else.

Ceta
05-24-2011, 04:47 AM
What you should do is every once in a while, replace the animal characters with human characters, but make them really super detailed. If you know what I mean.
haha....Sorry, I don't really understand.

What you need to do is a bunch of rats who play music and that gave life to the character and the story.

Oh wait this idea is from someone else.
I feel like I should know this.... D:

Hayashida
05-24-2011, 01:29 PM
haha....Sorry, I don't really understand.
go from drawing the animal characters that you've got, to making human characters that look really life-like
like this:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wWYN2DKTsJM/TRhCLLgdhLI/AAAAAAAAEus/4TcqQFIge3A/s400/sanctuary_v07_265.jpg
but only hardly ever.

ClockHand
05-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Here man:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/showthread.php?616-I-need-a-name-for-my-manga!

Now you are going to understand all the mysteries in the world.

Ceta
05-26-2011, 07:22 AM
go from drawing the animal characters that you've got, to making human characters that look really life-like
like this:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wWYN2DKTsJM/TRhCLLgdhLI/AAAAAAAAEus/4TcqQFIge3A/s400/sanctuary_v07_265.jpg
but only hardly ever.
haha....That's a bit above my skill level....

Here man:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/showthread.php?616-I-need-a-name-for-my-manga!

Now you are going to understand all the mysteries in the world.
There are no words to explain how I feel after having read that..... D:

Hayashida
05-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Ceta, you can do anything if you put your mind to it! I BELIEVE IN YOU

LuffyisGod11
06-03-2011, 01:33 AM
human version i dont know why i just dont like the whole mouse rabbit thing.creepy.and human convey more emeotion you could look at the faces and see they were serious bout getting the panties and that they were really scared when they got caught.

Ceta
06-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the input, but it looks like most people who have seen the comic prefer the animal designs over the human ones so I will be going with the animal designs once I have the time to start redrawing the manga.