PDA

View Full Version : Longboarding/skateboarding thread of awesome coolness

toast
05-13-2011, 10:28 PM
So do you guys longboard and/or skateboard? I sure as hell don't but I've been wanting to extremely bad forever. Share your accomplishments, your boards, and your knowledge on all of this poop. Also share tips on practicing and stuff, and maybe share like cool videos you found on youtube

For the past month I've increasingly been noticing how awesome the longboard is, therefore I want one, and I'd like to knooow what your opinion is on the ride, if it's better or not than a skateboard, and what the best type of first board I should get. If a skateboard is better, tell me why!

I've been wondering which of these boards I should get once and if I do save up enough money, which won't be too hard since I worked out an easy way to save up. :

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31xRBD9pI5L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Maple-Longboard-Skateboard-Brown/dp/B001QD9WAY/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

~orrr~

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41U4JF9%2BVKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Santa-Cruz-Powerply-Complete-Skateboard/dp/B001L8LZOA/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

Gerzorz
05-13-2011, 11:08 PM
I can't afford one, so w/e...

I remember when Tony Hawk was cool, though.
I used to be so geeked about it...

Ah well...

pajamajam
05-14-2011, 12:07 AM
Longboards are awesome, especially if you live in a hilly area. My brother and I used to board to the grocery store and back if we weren't getting a lot of stuff. They're a really comfy ride, and fairly stable if you get a longer one.

If you're just starting, get the top one. It's cheaper and it's longer. Practice in parking lots and streets that aren't too busy. Be prepared for some bruises.

Outcast
05-14-2011, 07:31 AM
When I read the title I figured gunzeta made this thread.

toast
05-14-2011, 11:53 AM
im actually waiting for gunzet to post considering skateboardings like his thing lawl

Longboards are awesome, especially if you live in a hilly area. My brother and I used to board to the grocery store and back if we weren't getting a lot of stuff. They're a really comfy ride, and fairly stable if you get a longer one.

If you're just starting, get the top one. It's cheaper and it's longer. Practice in parking lots and streets that aren't too busy. Be prepared for some bruises.

will do! The shorter one can be something i'll get later considering its more for cruising. Also, should I get like helmets and knee pads and stuff? I don't know if I want to since I never wear those, even when I ride a bike lol

GunZet
05-14-2011, 04:26 PM
IT IS I!
Aight first off I can't stand not being on a board, it just doesn't feel right. Skateboarding's my second life right next to art.

On your choices Toast...depends on what you wanna do.
If you wanna cruise around with nice control go for the first one, although the handling depends greatly on the trucks and what kind of bushings they come with, not the board.
*edit: Ok...the length and the width of a board do matter, but so does the width of the trucks, and the wheels...and the bushings...and blah blah blah.
If you wanna carve around and stuff go with the second one. It's an old school shape. I got one of the more famous ones laying around in my room lol.
http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/petstore/pet-image-large/powell-peralta-caballero-skateboard-dragons-bats-nos_300537163424.jpg
Except mine is completely thrashed.

Now on longboards, they're actually pretty cool. I used to ride one. One thing I'll say though, longer doesn't mean better. Longer means you'll have a bouncier and funner ride, but you'll also go slower. Think of it like this, you ever seen a truck with a giant trailer try and make a turn on a narrow street? Yea. So if you like to go fast but hate crashing into trees and stuff, go with a shorter longboard.
I used to ride a torpedo...basically just a long ass fish-shaped surfboard with wheels. It was great though.
I also would suggest getting some Abec 11 Gumball wheels. The softer the better...for longboarding. Oh, and hook yourself up with some Bones Reds bearings or Rush 10's/Bombers. Those are both really cheap and offer some kickass performance.

But I figure you're not gonna buy all your stuff and put it together lol...so go with the first one imo.

Also, the GOD of SKATING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TErKKYmZMd0

toast
05-14-2011, 07:48 PM
aaay gunz!

On your choices Toast...depends on what you wanna do.
If you wanna cruise around with nice control go for the first one, although the handling depends greatly on the trucks and what kind of bushings they come with, not the board.
*edit: Ok...the length and the width of a board do matter, but so does the width of the trucks, and the wheels...and the bushings...and blah blah blah.
If you wanna carve around and stuff go with the second one. It's an old school shape. I got one of the more famous ones laying around in my room lol.

man, see, that's the problem. I don't know if I may want to start with just normal cruising and stuff, or if later I'd start to want to start like downhill stuff. I also have never seriously learned to ride a board (maybe kid around sometimes), so I also don't know if the second one would be good for starters. But then it'd take forever to save up money for it once I do get a bit better.

anyway, do you think I should go with the second, or take the chiller ride? Theres more reviews for the santa cruz and theres even vids of it on youtube, so I'm pretty set as to the quality of it, but I've seen no videos or whatever on the longer board(except written reviews about it on amazon, which a lot are pretty positive but most are like "oh my 12 year old son loves it lol!"). But then thats like a lot cheaper (except for that damn shipping. I mean 12 bucks, jeeeebus)

your boards epic though, I love the design. how much did it cost? and man whats its level of f'ed upness? "few scratches" through "completely unrideable"?

Now on longboards, they're actually pretty cool. I used to ride one. One thing I'll say though, longer doesn't mean better. Longer means you'll have a bouncier and funner ride, but you'll also go slower. Think of it like this, you ever seen a truck with a giant trailer try and make a turn on a narrow street? Yea. So if you like to go fast but hate crashing into trees and stuff, go with a shorter longboard.

yeah I've read about that, it would suck ass if you were trying to turn and the thing just like toppled over lol. that's actually one of the things I'd be freaked about. Like, WHAT IF I RUN INTO SOME SHARP THING AND I GET STABBED or something. lol.

I used to ride a torpedo...basically just a long ass fish-shaped surfboard with wheels. It was great though.
I also would suggest getting some Abec 11 Gumball wheels. The softer the better...for longboarding. Oh, and hook yourself up with some Bones Reds bearings or Rush 10's/Bombers. Those are both really cheap and offer some kickass performance.

But I figure you're not gonna buy all your stuff and put it together lol...so go with the first one imo.

the torpedo 40 looks beast, and the design looks cool too. my cheap ass self can't really deal with the price though lawl <___< trust me though, if I had enough I'd get that and like the earthwing superglider or something..a long with a lifetime supply of swiss chocolate. and as for buying everything and putting it together, I wonder, is that cheaper? Like if it is, I seriously wouldn't mind doing it. It can't be THAT hard...D:

also, that dude is amazing. guys like this are the reason I want to learn to ride, its motivating!

GunZet
05-18-2011, 02:49 PM
I'd go with the shorter one. Although the longer board could be funner.
And that board I showed you. I didn't pay for mine, some kids were gonna destroy it outside and my skater instinct knew it was a classic, so I salvaged it after they were done. It's pretty much a wreck, but rideable.

Also the dude in the vid is Rodney Mullen, he created most of the tricks lol.

Also buying everything and putting it together could be cheaper if you know what to look for and how to put everything together heh.

*I won't be around till next month.