PDA

View Full Version : The "I can't draw, cuz its giving me a headache" Thread

doghateburger
05-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Ok, I'm gonna start this thread because, from what I see, there are a lot of people, saying that "they can't draw" They need help" its stressful to draw", etc, and then they go on to a wall of text. You know the complains.

Here is what we're gonna do. We are gonna figure out, what is really wrong, what is the main cause of this type of attitude. I can understand, I've been through this phase myself.

In my experience, it was my stubborness to except using reference. No matter what, I used to refuse using reference for poses, or anatomy. At that time, I believe that people using reference are not good artist, or that they playjerise. It was soon that I was thought a hard lesson. Only after than, I started realizing how stupid i was.

Now, for those that find drawing is stressful, you must ask yourself, why? Why is it stressful? If its so stressful, why keep on drawing? Is it because no matter how hard you try, you can't seem to improve?

maybe you don't draw often enough, or maybe you draw too much, or maybe you practice the wrong way? you have to realize what you are doing wrong before you can progress.

So post away some of your problems, and we'll work out the solution, or atleast identify your problem for you C:.

There are just too many of these type of threads out there :C

The_shaman
05-12-2011, 12:40 PM
i cant draw at all? plz someone help me!!!!

apples13
05-12-2011, 12:51 PM
I only enjoy the end result. the rest is bleh. like working out.

doghateburger
05-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Actually Shaman, you've improve a lot since the last MT was up. You need to know why? have you asked why you can't draw?

ClockHand
05-12-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm going to sound like a blunt-dick (when I'm not like that?) with this but:

If you don't enjoy drawing, don't do it!!!!

If you get stressed, depressed or sad by drawing, then you have one of the following problems: A) drawing is not for you or B) you need to change your mentality.

The true is that drawing should be to evade stress, depression and sadness, is something you should enjoy and makes you happy. If you are getting the opposite then you are not made for this or you have the wrong mentality.

If the problem in other hand is your mentality, then stop working so hard and start to enjoy drawing, because there is no point in continue in this if you are not going to enjoy it.

We all get frustrated some times, we all feel that we reach a point we can't go beyond, we all have artists blocks, and the only way to overcome those is enjoying, is making drawing a game that always amuse you.

The_shaman
05-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Actually Shaman, you've improve a lot since the last MT was up. You need to know why? have you asked why you can't draw?

Naaa, I am just being an asshole lol.

@clock, you are a dick, tell us something new.

ClockHand
05-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Well you could read most of the post I did to find a way to help yourself, and not read just the first 6 words of it.

You know, I might not be to good in English, but at least I know I have to read the entire text to know what is about.

The_shaman
05-12-2011, 01:48 PM
So by what logic makes you think I didn't read your whole post? I wasn't calling you a dick because of the post. I was calling you one because you actually are. But anyways I'm through with this pointless discussion

ClockHand
05-12-2011, 01:51 PM
What ever. I never post to help YOU in the first place (who would want it?). I just state a point for every who have problems and is will to change to get better.

Its better you go back to your art thread and wait if someone want to help you there (million of years might pass, but still no one is gonna help you).

apples13
05-12-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm going to sound like a blunt-dick (when I'm not like that?) with this but:

If you don't enjoy drawing, don't do it!!!!

If you get stressed, depressed or sad by drawing, then you have one of the following problems: A) drawing is not for you or B) you need to change your mentality.

The true is that drawing should be to evade stress, depression and sadness, is something you should enjoy and makes you happy. If you are getting the opposite then you are not made for this or you have the wrong mentality.

If the problem in other hand is your mentality, then stop working so hard and start to enjoy drawing, because there is no point in continue in this if you are not going to enjoy it.

We all get frustrated some times, we all feel that we reach a point we can't go beyond, we all have artists blocks, and the only way to overcome those is enjoying, is making drawing a game that always amuse you.

a lot of people( like myself) only care about the end result, not the process. people just want help to get past the process to a decent end result. like i said before, compare art with exercise. Some people might enjoy exercising but most people just want to be fit and look nice. This idea is the same that is applied to art. we just want a pretty picture to look at, and because someone else is not going to draw it for you whenever you want you have to learn to do it yourself.

ClockHand
05-12-2011, 07:31 PM
The drawing is not for you.

apples13
05-12-2011, 08:24 PM
The drawing is not for you.
why not?it's for everyone, which includes yourself. I am not going to draw it if I don't want to look at it.

ClockHand
05-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Everyone can draw but: If you want to make your career in drawing, it's better that you enjoy it. If you want to get better, it's better that you enjoy it. And if you want to get critics, it's better that you enjoy drawing.

If for any reason you don't enjoy drawing and you only care of the final product, then I suggest you to get some money and pay someone to draw for you.

Nyarlathotep
05-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Hmm. I think if you get a sense of enjoyment out of your work - if you think to yourself, 'hell yes, I just created this', then you're doing it right.

It's the same with anything - for instance, nobody makes games just so they can play the result, they make them because seeing the thousands of lines of code you've written compile into something awesome is really cool.

Not enjoying every step of the way from start to finish is completely normal, I would say... but if you're only doing something so you can have the end product to use/admire, that is kind of weird.

ClockHand
05-12-2011, 10:47 PM
It's not weird. It only makes you a consumer, not a developer.

A developer enjoy the process of doing something. As artists we enjoy drawing, it's process and final results. But the consumer is the one who only enjoys the final product.

I love pepsi, but I'm not making my own pepsi. I love video games but I will not do one (maybe be part as artist or creative stuff). And also I love movies but I don't have any plan to be an actor or director.

A doctor enjoy all the process not just the final result, the same goes for any career. If you are not enjoying, then that path is not for you.

Bacon_Barbarian
05-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Everyone can draw but: If you want to make your career in drawing, it's better that you enjoy it. If you want to get better, it's better that you enjoy it. And if you want to get critics, it's better that you enjoy drawing.

If for any reason you don't enjoy drawing and you only care of the final product, then I suggest you to get some money and pay someone to draw for you.
That's rubbish. Im pretty sure most people here don't actually plan on drawing professionally anyway. Enjoying the finished project is enjoying drawing, just not every single detail of it. I mean, do you enjoy the whole process? People like their finished project because it holds all their blood, sweat, and tears.

ClockHand
05-12-2011, 11:01 PM
I enjoy the whole process, every line, every time I shade, and every time I try a new pose or scene, I feel proud of what I'm doing with every stroke and with every stroke I get more and more clear how its gonna look. I feel exited every time, and when the result is not what I want it, then I start to analise and try to figure out what I did wrong, I try new shapes, new lines, etc. It's always a enjoyment to draw, and I think that if someone wants to make his career of this, that person really needs to enjoy it, because its hard (as you said, it has blood, sweat and tears) and you need to enjoy that, not only the result.

If you just enjoy the result in something, then why to suffer? why to suffer working and shedding tears and blood for something that you could just pay or ask? It's because the artist enjoy drawing, ergo, enjoy the process of making a draw. Who enjoy the draw, is a viewer or a consumer.

Enjoying the finished project is enjoying drawing, ...

Drawing is the process to make a draw. If you enjoy the final product, you don't necessarily enjoy its process.

Nyarlathotep
05-12-2011, 11:21 PM
why to suffer working and shedding tears and blood for something that you could just pay or ask? It's because the artist enjoy drawing, ergo, enjoy the process of making a draw. Who enjoy the draw, is a viewer or a consumer.

What about the sense of ownership, the feeling of accomplishment and pride?

Part of why I like programming is because struggling through design challenges and figuring out logic puzzles is tough, but rewarding. You don't have to like every moment of something to enjoy it as a job. I mean, I guess it would help, but let's not shit around here - no matter what you do in life, there will be times when you hate it. If you don't think that's true, you haven't had a job yet.

If you're unhappy more than you're happy, there's a problem, but seriously, the only job I could do professionally if I had to enjoy every minute of it would be 'Professional Internet Surfer'.

apples13
05-12-2011, 11:44 PM
the vote for drawing for its reward vs clockhand
is four to one
so back on topic explain how to ease the pain to get to the reward. I guess a sense of improvement through learning the secrets of drawing is one.

ClockHand
05-12-2011, 11:45 PM
I think that job exist. A friend of my sister work on googling stuff.

Of course you are never in a constant love, but even the struggle is something you like at the end. As I said, if you only care of the final product then don't try to do it, because is hard, it has bad times and if you really can't enjoy the process, its better to be a consumer.

I don't work on programming because I really don't enjoy those puzzles, you do, that why you focus on that, and thats why there are people who work on that and are payed for their work.

the vote for drawing for its reward vs clockhand
is four to one

yeah because a discussion is all about what number is bigger than (who cares quality?).

Also you know that there is no shortcut for the good things, only money (and still you can't buy skills, only the product).

apples13
05-13-2011, 12:11 AM
oh there are tricks in art that can make someone many times better. there are short cuts to designing. why do you think people go to art school? To learn these tricks.

BozeSG
05-13-2011, 02:30 AM
I agree with clockhand, there is a sense of accomplishment after finishing your drawing but if you don't enjoy what you're doing and if you're not excited about trying new things then you will fail in advancing your skills further, specially as a mangaka who's job really needs patience. if you're saying that you don't want to be a pro and you've got no ambition for learning drawing whatsoever then you can be satisfied with whatever you draw and you find yourself unmotivated for improvement. even if someone teaches everything about art, you fail as an artist by not trying new things.... an artist needs creativity and creativity is a result of the artist's motivation.

ClockHand
05-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Apple@

You don't go to study to learn "tricks", you go to learn theory, technique and methodology, to talk with people like you, to learn from they and to learn from your teachers. And to want to go to study you obviously need motivation and enjoy the process of drawing, because at end that its what you are going to learn there.

As you are not interested in drawing "per se", you can always buy the draw, but not the skills.

Fenn
05-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Okay, I'll try this:

When I first started drawing manga, even though it wasn't good at all, it looked great to me, and it looked very close to what was in my head.

Now, despite being a better artist, my work is farther from what's in my head and I can't enjoy the art process OR my creations. I want to return to the old mentality of "just draw" but I can't. I mess up every line I try to draw; I can't even do a nice circle or draw lightly so I can erase. My pencil doesn't do what I want it to. It's like every line I draw is a fight against the paper and the pencil.

I also don't have enough time to draw: Once a week is a victory. As such, I can't accept failure because it's a waste of precious little time.

If it helps, my purpose for drawing is: to put my creative visions and characters from my head to paper.

The_shaman
05-13-2011, 05:10 PM
oh there are tricks in art that can make someone many times better. there are short cuts to designing. why do you think people go to art school? To learn these tricks.
Ok, I really ever......eeeevvvvveeerrrrrr agree with clock on anything,, but even hell has cold days. There is no trick that makes you millions of times better, we go to school to get 3 thing, the theory and methodology, to get the degree to help us get that job, and to get our connections and networking going. What makes us better is how much we understand the theory and methodology being taught to us, and how we apply it.

That's rubbish. Im pretty sure most people here don't actually plan on drawing professionally anyway. Enjoying the finished project is enjoying drawing, just not every single detail of it. I mean, do you enjoy the whole process? People like their finished project because it holds all their blood, sweat, and tears.
Actually from what I have learned, not speaking from experience though; few artists in the industry actually look for the rendered work, but actually look at the work that shows oneís thinking process and construction methods. Why, because you can easily show anyone a fully rendered piece thatís not yours to top it off why would they care when chances are the company already has artist that can already do what youíre showing them. Itís the thought process that the artist tries to show.

a lot of people( like myself) only care about the end result, not the process. people just want help to get past the process to a decent end result. like i said before, compare art with exercise. Some people might enjoy exercising but most people just want to be fit and look nice. This idea is the same that is applied to art. we just want a pretty picture to look at, and because someone else is not going to draw it for you whenever you want you have to learn to do it yourself. It canít be avoided, if you want the eye candy, you have to work for it.

toast
05-13-2011, 07:25 PM
like i said before, compare art with exercise. Some people might enjoy exercising but most people just want to be fit and look nice. This idea is the same that is applied to art. we just want a pretty picture to look at, and because someone else is not going to draw it for you whenever you want you have to learn to do it yourself.

Just gonna say that, if one really hates the process of exercising, it's a smart thing to find a better way to do it. An intelligent person will choose something they love, like maybe surfing or hiking, instead of staying with the same boring routine. Not just complain about not liking the process. I don't like your comparison with exercising and art, anyway. I feel like going to the gym is a priority for some, and drawing is more a passion/hobby (art shouldn't be a priority. I don't think your to do list should include "draw 3 things", art should just come smoothly with your creativity. If you feel like it, do it. If you don't, chill. Don't force yourself.)

It's just, if all your drawing for is the outcome, not the actual process, what is the point in drawing? Shouldn't it be something you enjoy, something that makes you happy? Not just something you need to strive to make pretty?

apples13
05-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Just gonna say that, if one really hates the process of exercising, it's a smart thing to find a better way to do it. An intelligent person will choose something they love, like maybe surfing or hiking, instead of staying with the same boring routine. Not just complain about not liking the process. I don't like your comparison with exercising and art, anyway. I feel like going to the gym is a priority for some, and drawing is more a passion/hobby (art shouldn't be a priority. I don't think your to do list should include "draw 3 things", art should just come smoothly with your creativity. If you feel like it, do it. If you don't, chill. Don't force yourself.)

It's just, if all your drawing for is the outcome, not the actual process, what is the point in drawing? Shouldn't it be something you enjoy, something that makes you happy? Not just something you need to strive to make pretty?

If i could instantaneously produce what I wanted I would take that over drawing in a second. wouldn't it be nice to get whatever you wanted? the point is drawing is I can't just produce whatever I want. Take away the heartache and just give me the good stuff. The result has to be worth the pain, but that does not mean I have to like the process. All I can do is learn more to cope with what is giving me issues.

CypressDahlia
05-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Giant misunderstanding thread.

GunZet
05-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Draw, just draw
Draw, just draw
Draw, damit, draw
Draw, I'll kill you, draw
draw, just draw, damit draw, just draw, I'll kill you, draw . . . just draw.

End of thread, problem solved. :D

Ozzaharwood
05-14-2011, 04:22 PM
That's actually prolly good advice. ^^

Practice. Copy other pictures to get the feeling of where everything is supposed to go, and to learn different styles and techniques. Watch tutorial videos. Go outside and try drawing what you see. Above all, do what Gunz said. Just draw, and keep drawing. To draw well takes a lot of time and if you don't practice it regularly, then you won't get any better or you will just get better very slowly.

BozeSG
05-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Draw, just draw
Draw, just draw
Draw, damit, draw
Draw, I'll kill you, draw
draw, just draw, damit draw, just draw, I'll kill you, draw . . . just draw.

End of thread, problem solved. :D

Epic!

toast
05-14-2011, 06:00 PM
If i could instantaneously produce what I wanted I would take that over drawing in a second. wouldn't it be nice to get whatever you wanted? the point is drawing is I can't just produce whatever I want. Take away the heartache and just give me the good stuff. The result has to be worth the pain, but that does not mean I have to like the process. All I can do is learn more to cope with what is giving me issues.

whatever your choice is. I, personally, prefer liking the whole process. If the way I'm drawing is boring me, I look for other ways to do it, not just stick with it.

but whateva, yeah the answer to everything is just draw and doodle and keep drawing and experimenting.

Fenn
05-15-2011, 12:45 PM
I wonder if the issue I and others have is being torn between hobby and profession. For example, I don't want a career in art, but I want to produce art of a certain quality. Thus, while I have the mental desire and vision of a pro, I lack the incentive, priority, and time commitment needed to reach my goal. Any advice for this?

CypressDahlia
05-15-2011, 07:02 PM
No, Fenn. No advice for that.

You already know what you need. =P There is no "easier" way to get good at it, if that's what you're asking.

apples13
05-15-2011, 07:24 PM

You already know what you need. =P There is no "easier" way to get good at it, if that's what you're asking.

no there is definitely an easier way. you just might not know it yet. Because style/quality is relative to some extent, means there must be a way of drawing that can still fit the "quality" portion, but still be simple to draw. you just have to find the one you like. Also there are lots of shortcuts in drawing" refer to FZD School on youtube".

Fenn
05-15-2011, 07:28 PM

Not exactly what I meant. I'm more trying to strike a balance between "reach my maximum potential" and "just draw and don't worry one bit." That's probably a personal thing.

Apples has a good idea; to find a style that is simpler and better suited to my time commitment and talent.

CypressDahlia
05-15-2011, 07:49 PM
That is simply a matter of preference. Keep drawing until you find it. I thought you meant quality in terms of professionalism.

Lady_Knife
05-16-2011, 10:54 AM
I like this artist advice. I agree with most, if not all, of the points he talked about.

http://www.austinkleon.com/2011/03/30/how-to-steal-like-an-artist-and-9-other-things-nobody-told-me/

ClockHand
05-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Fen@

Searching a style is still a matter of time and practice. If you don't have the time to find it, then don't cry because you can't delivery the work that you want.

Fenn
05-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Fen@

Searching a style is still a matter of time and practice. If you don't have the time to find it, then don't cry because you can't delivery the work that you want.

That's not why I'm crying. I'm...well I'm not crying, I'm frustrated that what began as a relaxing hobby I could turn to in order to clear my mind and enjoy has become a stressful task that requires a proper mood, setting, tools, time, and much practice.

CypressDahlia
05-17-2011, 12:58 PM
It doesn't. You just aren't comfortable with your method of working. Work in a way that you like to.

Fenn
05-17-2011, 10:15 PM
It doesn't. You just aren't comfortable with your method of working. Work in a way that you like to.

Sorry, but what do you mean by "it doesn't"? Just a bit confused.

GunZet
05-18-2011, 01:56 PM
If your whole life doesn't revolve around art and you have no plans of making a living off of it, the best thing is to not stress over it and take a break. If art isn't your main thing, you won't be able to put up with the daily stress and barriers like someone who eats, shits, and breathes art every day. When you're an artist who is not doing it just as a hobby, you're willing to fight the inevitable hurtles the practice throws at you. But if not, you're just sitting around moping about something you want to do but can't because the purpose has changed.

CypressDahlia
05-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Art doesn't require a proper mood, setting, tools or large amounts of time to produce. Practice, on the other hand, varies, with what you want to achieve.

GunZet
05-18-2011, 03:09 PM
True, but it's mostly personal preference. I prefer a certain mood for certain pieces, and certain tools.

Fenn
05-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Hm, yeah the problem is I don't put any time aside to draw at all, expecting my life to make time for me. That's definitely it, and I realize that now. I'm so drained when I get free time I'd rather sit in front of the tv and game than draw...it's still wierd though,sinceart used to be just like tv or video games, where I could just say "I'm tired; I'm gonna go draw some." Doesn't happen anymore. Doesn't work like that anymore.

The same thing happened with video game design and creative writing. I just go strait to the tv because I'm too tired to do anything else...maybe this was the problem all along! Doh!

Son44
05-19-2011, 07:23 AM
Hm, yeah the problem is I don't put any time aside to draw at all, expecting my life to make time for me. That's definitely it, and I realize that now. I'm so drained when I get free time I'd rather sit in front of the tv and game than draw...it's still wierd though,sinceart used to be just like tv or video games, where I could just say "I'm tired; I'm gonna go draw some." Doesn't happen anymore. Doesn't work like that anymore.

The same thing happened with video game design and creative writing. I just go strait to the tv because I'm too tired to do anything else...maybe this was the problem all along! Doh!

I know that feeling, bro

The best way to get yourself working, in my experience, is to write down what goals you have and "hang out" with other artists. On the internet or in real life, doesn't matter. If you have friends who can give you critic and such, the better. It keeps you going.

Ofcourse you should be motivated by drawing itself, not just to impress others. My current goals are: Finishing Drawing on the right side of the brain, Finish a Colour tutorial and draw more (lol, this one is always there). So far I haven't done too much (national holiday and school), but it helps me going and it forces me to sit down and work.

Fenn
05-21-2011, 02:06 PM
I know that feeling, bro

The best way to get yourself working, in my experience, is to write down what goals you have and "hang out" with other artists. On the internet or in real life, doesn't matter. If you have friends who can give you critic and such, the better. It keeps you going.

Ofcourse you should be motivated by drawing itself, not just to impress others. My current goals are: Finishing Drawing on the right side of the brain, Finish a Colour tutorial and draw more (lol, this one is always there). So far I haven't done too much (national holiday and school), but it helps me going and it forces me to sit down and work.

Good idea!

KakashiTheSharingan
05-23-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm having problems on my comics so I just stop making them until I master this art study sheet...I drawing different things at once....Well I have this art study sheet I created and I get to practice each of them by a week and if i get the hang of it by a week..i move on to the next lesson...I wonder if I'm going the right process or not...but it seems to be working fine.

nisaren
05-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Hmm... this thread sounds a lot like the one above it. I'm going to reiterate some of what I said in the other thread.

First about stress... I often feel stress when attempting to draw. Stress by definition is the body's reaction to external events or conditions that are different from one's internal expectations. In essence, you have an image in your mind and you want to put it on paper - but are not able. This leads to stress within and every artist experiences this. I doubt that any artist possesses the ability to express exactly what he or she sees in their mind on paper. So every artist feels stress to a degree when drawing.

I agree with what toast has said earlier on in the thread. You really have to find a method that you enjoy. Everyone is different and as such will find different methods to their liking. Some people may be satisfied with any method as long as they are expressing themselves and working on their art. Others find that they want a certain experience while they produce art. I know that I am the latter.

Most often I find myself wrestling not only with the art process but the medium that I am using - trying to get it to do what I want. Sometimes you just need to realize the limits of your medium (or your current skill with that medium). People are often extremely skillful in one medium while another presents lots of challenges for them. Someone that is used to using acrylics or gouache may not have the patience to use watercolors, etc.

So I think people need to find not only a process that they enjoy, they also need to find a medium they enjoy using.

Fenn
06-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Hmm... this thread sounds a lot like the one above it. I'm going to reiterate some of what I said in the other thread.

First about stress... I often feel stress when attempting to draw. Stress by definition is the body's reaction to external events or conditions that are different from one's internal expectations. In essence, you have an image in your mind and you want to put it on paper - but are not able. This leads to stress within and every artist experiences this. I doubt that any artist possesses the ability to express exactly what he or she sees in their mind on paper. So every artist feels stress to a degree when drawing.

I agree with what toast has said earlier on in the thread. You really have to find a method that you enjoy. Everyone is different and as such will find different methods to their liking. Some people may be satisfied with any method as long as they are expressing themselves and working on their art. Others find that they want a certain experience while they produce art. I know that I am the latter.

Most often I find myself wrestling not only with the art process but the medium that I am using - trying to get it to do what I want. Sometimes you just need to realize the limits of your medium (or your current skill with that medium). People are often extremely skillful in one medium while another presents lots of challenges for them. Someone that is used to using acrylics or gouache may not have the patience to use watercolors, etc.

So I think people need to find not only a process that they enjoy, they also need to find a medium they enjoy using.

^Great post. I just started trying digital art (i posted some stuff in Critique Corner) and the process is so much more enjoyable! I'm learning a new medium, with help from some tus and plenty of self-improve, and it's great! Maybe it will help me with my pencil drawing at some point too.

ram
06-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Giant misunderstanding thread.

nice one cype!! >.< it's a good thing that you,fenn and some others made the topic back lol...

in the end everything that comes from this topic is just practice....

"I can't draw cause it's giving me a headache"... well i felt that before actually... but it's just for a moment of time...
because i always keep some of my old arts somewhere... the time I view that and compare it to the one I'm drawing now... i felt the moment of improvement..

don't get me wrong I'm still the type to crumble paper and throw it in the trash after i see it's not right,,(all artist do that) but i still keep one drawing every 2 or three months to keep track of what i am....

so if your not motivated and think your not improving then just look at someone worse than you.... lol just kidding... but sometimes that could lift your heart lol...

anyway this is my reply to the main topic here

.. "believe your self that believes in you" by kamina in gurren laggan!!

sketchroll
06-05-2011, 03:06 AM
This is a great thread! I'm actually doing a project on "learning how to draw" and looking at why people have a hard time drawing, the challenges they face, the mentality they have, and so on! I would like to do some interviews as well, so if any of you like to participate, please just pm me! Thank you! Now, 5 more pages to read!