PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Concept Artists

Zekester014
05-04-2011, 08:49 PM
I usually don't have much trouble drawing new things when I can, but no matter how much I try, No matter how much descriptions I give them, I can't draw...

Aliens. :cat_ahahaha:

I'm not referring to the little green men, I'm looking for an insectoid/Crystalline Alien Species I have given the name "Jades" for the moment, because of the color of their natural armor. There are actually several types of Jades that exist in my Story; I have descriptions for them, I just can't place those descriptions on paper/screen.

Basically, I need someone that can create concept art of the Jades for me and give me somewhat of a guideline to refer to and adapt to my story. It Won't be long term, just until I have a SOLID idea of what they look like. Thank you in advance.

ClockHand
05-04-2011, 09:11 PM
What does the artist win at helping you (I'm not asking because I want to force you to do something at exchange, but more for curiosity)?

Zekester014
05-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Not sure, haven't had anything in mind. If anything, assistance on anything they need done.

ClockHand
05-04-2011, 09:38 PM
tell the description, and see if someone send something to you.

Zekester014
05-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Alrighty then:

Six Branches of Jade:

Hunters:
+) Pack hunters of the Jade, they mostly hunt in threes to fours.
+) They are the most suited for combat than the others.
+) They have Six limbs: a pair of clawed arms, clawed legs, and a pair of razor-sharp limbs that fold back into the body like wings. hind leg joints similar to canines' and felines'.
+) Can stand on hind legs, but runs on all fours
+) Sends a shrill howl when it has found an enemy
+) Body language communication
+) Evaporates on death in foreign environment
+) Have the ability to shoot crystal shards as a defense mechanism

Snipers:
+) Long Range Jades; never prefer to enter within the battlefield areas
+) able to stand on walls and ceilings
+) launches projectiles from own body (unknown method/physiology to do so)

Runners:
+) Slim, agile Jades
+) Capable of running at cheetah-like speeds, for a longer duration
+) Runs on all fours

Carriers:
+) Jade Transporters
+) Actually a team of a Flyer, bomber, Dropper, and Spawner
+) Sometimes splits in combat situations
+) Flyer flies(lol). sends a concentrated screech to the target area, obliterating whatever existed there
+) Droppers act as drop pods that can steer itself during freefall
+) Bombers catapult explosive projectiles to the area
+) Spawners are defenseless; can heal jades in the vicinity, but need other jade to guard them

Grunts:
+) The most common Jade type, and the weakest
+) runs on all fours
+) seems like an inferior to the hunters
+) Cannon fodder in combat; does not show fear or concern about death

Kryll:
+) bat-sized jades
+) Behave like piranhas
+) Always present when a Carrier is nearby

ClockHand
05-04-2011, 11:10 PM
wow I was though you need only 1 sketch on a alien.

Zekester014
05-04-2011, 11:37 PM
haha sort of. I need one of each, but I mainly need the hunter

Mr_D
05-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Heya, I might do it, if you still need them, just because I'm bored. Don't expect them in a few days though, depends on other stuff I need to do ^^

doghateburger
05-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Sound like Tyranids to me, but if Mr_D fails, I'll do it C:, but only hunters. >_>

Mr_D
05-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Why don't you go ahead doghateburger, seems like I'm short on time xD

Zekester014
05-14-2011, 03:57 PM
If you want to, please do. the hunters are my biggest problem, so it actually helps

Zekester014
05-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Oh, as a side note, I took my inspirations from the Akrid in Lost Planet 1 & 2. Personally, they seem better, anatomy-wise and behavior-wise. Anything along those lines would be great

CypressDahlia
05-21-2011, 08:30 PM
I'll give this a shot. I've been aching to do monster concepts.

Zekester014
05-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Thank you very much

justforflag
05-23-2011, 04:43 PM
I think I can do this... I hope so at least.

And as doghateburger said, they do sound like Tyranids. Is that what you want them to look like?

Zekester014
05-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Honestly, I've never heard of Tyranids, let alone seen them (I'm gonna assume it's a game).

But I took the liberty of looking them up on google images, and nah, not really. I want them to look more along the lines of the Akrid I mentioned earlier.

justforflag
05-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Akrids have a ton of different species, then. Could you relate each species you have with one of theirs? Or is it something completely different, with only minor similarities?

Zekester014
05-26-2011, 01:31 AM
They are relatively similar. some less than others. I dont really expect or want them to look exactly like it though.

Y = yes - A = Almost - S = Sorta - N = No

Hunters = Akrid X. Anatomy - S; Behavior - Y
Snipers = Neegal. Anatomy - A; Behavior - Y
Runners = Chryatis. Anatomy - S; Behavior - A
Carriers = Windega. Anatomy - S; Behavior - Y
Grunts = Tencale. Anatomy - A; Behavior - S
Kryll = Trillid. Anatomy - S; Behavior - Y

CypressDahlia
05-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Here, I gave it a shot. I didn't want it to look too much like either the Tyranids or the Akrids, so it's more insectoid than alien.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7904/jadehunterannotated.jpg

Annotations:
1.) Back-mounted projectile launchers that shoot shards of calcified bio-material. Can be angled by contracting the muscles around it. When on all fours, they flatten into the armor.

2a.) The pair of upper appendages. 2b.) What the secondary set of bladed upper appendages look like when they're sheathed (tucked into the shell) and unsheathed.

3.) Areas comprised of stringy, orange ligaments. Extremely flexible and can extend or contract in any direction, which is what makes extending the stomach possible for running on all fours. Also makes most limbs double jointed by default.

4.) "Gills" or exterior vocal cords that allow the Hunters to emit their war shriek. Air passes here directly from the lung cavities.

Zekester014
05-27-2011, 01:44 PM
OH MY GOSH. That is cool. I like it; I think I'll keep it like this, with the only changes being the hind feet and that shell covering the bladed limbs.

Thank you so much. If anyone wants to do some/all of the others, be my guest.

CypressDahlia
05-27-2011, 03:02 PM
I dunno if it's clear, but he has somewhat of a hammerhead.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2922/headanatomy.jpg

This is a more detailed shot of the head, for clarification's sake. It has sharp, single-serrated teeth.

Thanks for considering my concept.

EDIT: +++ b/w concept sketches for Sniper, Flyer and Runner respectively.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8364/jadeconcepts.jpg

Zekester014
05-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I noticed. I'm iffy on that part though, so I'll keep it as it is atm.

The Sniper and flyer seem too bulky and humanoid, though. I do like the runner though. but it doesn't exactly look mobile...?

CypressDahlia
05-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I know they're humanoid. I'm just trying to go for unique anatomies as far as mixing and matching the bug/alien components. You want the sniper to look more like a scorpion and the flyer to look like a moth, right?

Zekester014
05-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Ah, I see. Along those lines, yes.

doghateburger
05-28-2011, 04:33 AM
Ok, I took Cypress's Flyer design and twick a little,
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/phantomking/gbconcept03.png

and those are tiny little arms.

Does the 'Droppers" carry units? or do they just drop and reign destruction?

Zekester014
05-28-2011, 01:06 PM
The Droppers carry the Spawners to the ground as a shock absorber. It usually survives the fall and acts as a barrier of defense, the very same tentacles used as rudders being used as weapons.

As for the Flyer, I think I should give a more specific outline:

The Flyer acts as the "Air force" of the species. They split off of Carrier form to engage in combat by both swooping in and surveying the skies, and landing and fighting to assist its fellow Jade. unlike some of the other jade, Aside from the armored carapace, it looks more dragon-like than insectoid. It's light, yet powerful to carry not only itself, but the other separate entities that, together, form the carrier.

Although it has pretty decent vision, it is practically blind in low-light environments. Because of this, it uses its sonic scream in non-lethal pulses as a form of echolocation, and to track movement. once it has found its prey, it sends a sonic scream at the desired location. It usually lands in high locations so as to have a good vantage point at all times.

CypressDahlia
05-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Ah, see, that's what I was looking for: "dragon-like". Now I have something to work with. Sorry, I just didn't feel like drawing a giant moth. But I tried to make a more scorpion-y sniper:

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/7981/scorpsniper.jpg

It's still bulky, I know, but any smaller and it wouldn't look much different from a big scorpion.

Zekester014
05-28-2011, 02:06 PM
I kind of agree, Cypress XD in retrospect, I found that I liked your hunter because of the vague reptilian similarity.

This one looks plenty better, and it just looks bulky 'cause of the torso. Could you guide me around the anatomy?

CypressDahlia
05-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Well, I was thinking the bulkiness could be justified by making the hump-like area on the back like a container for the bio-material they shoot. Kind of like a camel's hump. Because you said you wanted the "sniper" aspect to be biologically integrated, correct? The arms can shoot forward while the tail can shoot omnidirectionally, I guess, so the sniper can provide cover for himself while sniping. I'll create a head anatomy later to show how the mandibles work and such.

Oh, and the joints in the leg are configured in an accordian "Z" shape so that the sniper can "flatten" itself out against surfaces by folding them in, almost like an immobile turret, to steady its aim.

And here's a silly doodle illustrating the Runner's anatomy:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7416/runnerdoodle.jpg

Zekester014
05-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Ah, I see. Not bad! I understand now.

The Main thing about the runner is those back legs. they seem a lot like stilts...? I like everything else about it, though

CypressDahlia
05-30-2011, 03:34 PM
I'll work on a dragon-like flyer shortly, but this is something I've been toying with. It's a beetle-type flyer with web-like wings between its limbs, like a flying squirrel.

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/2927/weirdflyer.jpg

Of course, this could be used for other purposes, not necessarily as a flyer.

Zekester014
05-31-2011, 01:01 AM
It's odd, but unique. lol might work as a spawner, but idk

Zekester014
02-03-2012, 03:15 PM
UPDATE :

I've all but taken care of the Jades, but I have another issue I wanna take care of; I'm asking for concept art on a futuristic military full body suit, with variations for different worlds:

Earth: which we all know and love
Shinoko: Marshy wetlands
Kiraiin: Desert sandstorms
Mobilia: Technology run rampant
Onubaru: Jungle madness; Tree to tree

I'm asking because I've done several different attempts for it. While they are OK imo, they're just not right. If you want to give it a go, great, just take your pick. Thanks in advance.

hajihatsuki
02-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Sounds like fun, I'll see if I can!

Zekester014
02-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks, you can play around with the style all you want.

I like the variety... idk, I guess it gives a sense of depth...?