PDA

View Full Version : Story creation - some doubt

butternut
12-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Hi, I've attempted to write a script for a series, or at least a storyline but everytime i think about something, it starts to sound like one of the other gazillion ones that are already there. When i think about it, it seems nearly impossible to create an 'Original' story containing none or very little aspects that could be similar to any other already existing and published anime/manga/any fiction. So if one wants to make a mark, though it may not be in the actual plot, but how it is presented to the audience right?

This actually is kinda discouraging because whenever I come up with an idea, soon I almost always find out/realize that something like that already exists and that MY idea seems just like a rip off.

So just wanted to know what are your thoughts?Agree/disagree? anything to add?

angel_dreamer13
12-08-2010, 08:39 PM
one tip is to try and create really original characters. even a plot thats been done a million times before is exciting if the characters are. also, don't get discouraged when your story starts to feel like a ripoff. chances are, if you keep progressing with it it will turn out quite different in the end from your original idea.
you should post some of your ideas, it'll be easier to help you that way. :3

butternut
12-09-2010, 03:58 AM
Thank you! I will, once i build upon some of it. Just got the rough idea now. :D

Tanatos
12-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Well something that's is true in these days is that "Nothing is created everything is copied".

Sure your history will have some similarities with other "gazilions" (I loved that xD) histories. But the great diference will come in "How" tell this history.

Think about The walking dead (serie). Nothing new, a guy wake up in the middle of a chaos, and realizes that the world are overrun by zombies (Dawn of the dead, resident evil apocalipse). But "How" the history is told that matters, this is why the serie had a great succes. Grab a simple Idea and do it look awesome!

Fenn
12-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Well something that's is true in these days is that "Nothing is created everything is copied".

Sure your history will have some similarities with other "gazilions" (I loved that xD) histories. But the great diference will come in "How" tell this history.

Think about The walking dead (serie). Nothing new, a guy wake up in the middle of a chaos, and realizes that the world are overrun by zombies (Dawn of the dead, resident evil apocalipse). But "How" the history is told that matters, this is why the serie had a great succes. Grab a simple Idea and do it look awesome!

BINGO! If you look at your story as several individual aspects, then you're right; everything's been done. The key to originality is not about what pieces your story is made up of, but how they go together.

The best way to create an original thought is to actually start with something completely generic, for example the zombie idea.

> Zombies rise and try to kill everything.

Now, what would be an interesting set of circumstances? Something most people wouldn't think of in relation to "Zombies."

> Zombies rise and try to kill everything. They can only be warded off by body odor.

Huh? How is this going to work? Now think about how a story like that would come together. You'll need a reason for the zombies to have this weakness.

> Maybe they have heightened smell because their eyesight has faded?
> Or the chemicals of human pungence dissolve their bodies?

Also, what would humans do with this knowledge?

> Would a bunch of smelly people save the day, overcoming their social and personal weaknesses? This has a lot of potential because the characters would likely be very unique
> Or would the government create "smell factories" and end up enslaving people and forcing them to become smelly? Eh, sounds a bit cliched.

^That's a crazy example, but nevertheless it gets my point across. One last tip: when coming up with ideas, constantly ask yourself "would I want to read this? Would others want to read this?"

SamuraiChameleon
12-10-2010, 02:28 AM
It is impossible to do something entirely original.

butternut
12-10-2010, 05:39 AM
Hmm..makes sense.That's why i put up the point - "So if one wants to make a mark, though it may not be in the actual plot, but how it is presented to the audience right?"
Anyway, thanks a lot guys. I shall put up the plot as soon as its done.
~exams around, its kinda hard to think~

I had another idea, it was kinda influenced by Digimon and some other similar shows, I'd started writing it few years ago. It was about a bunch of kids saving the world but it contained certain aspects that stressed upon, i think, important things in life - like death, love, knowledge etc combined with powers of elements. I had the history and all complete but got stuck because i couldn't think of the bad guy! (lol, i know). I'd even started writing the script. But, obviously, couldn't go further than around 1000 words.