PDA

View Full Version : East Timor

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
05-02-2011, 09:32 PM
It has really saddened me when I have discussed this issue with people how few actual know anything about it. I will rant about this later, I promise.

Ok, people of MT, I want you all to be honest here and without using google or wikipedia (cause I'll know if you have...oh yeah) I want you all to tell me what is the first thing that comes to your mind when I say: East Timor.

Go.

jubeh
05-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Hos just letting you know if you put ellipses in your thread title the thread will bug out. I edited it for you but now you know.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
05-02-2011, 09:34 PM
You're a gentlemen, Jubeh, I appreciate that.

Bacon_Barbarian
05-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Isn't it a country? *goes off to Google* Yep. I now know what you're talking about.

genocide?

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
05-02-2011, 09:47 PM
You know, I always did hate you, Bacon.

GunZet
05-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Without googling, the first thing tthat comes to mind is the country and how new/poor it is.

Evil_Cake
05-02-2011, 10:23 PM
the first thing that comes to mind is not caring very much

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
05-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Interesting thought, Gunzet.

the first thing that comes to mind is not caring very much

How unfortunate.

Bacon_Barbarian
05-02-2011, 10:53 PM
You know, I always did hate you, Bacon.
What? I didn't do anything. It's in spoilers for a reason. And I already knew it was a country, I was just confirming my assumption. Which was correct.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
05-02-2011, 11:02 PM
I know. My statement still stands.

Bacon_Barbarian
05-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Oh. OK. I thought it was specifically something here and now.

LVUER
05-03-2011, 12:27 AM
I know this one, really know it in fact, since it's used to be one part of my country. It's all because a certain person we lost that province... At that time, Australia have big roles when it all happen (the separation). I guess they want the natural resource that can be found around the islands (it's nearer to Australia so Indonesia would lose it if East Timor become a separated country).

Devillan
05-03-2011, 09:26 AM
What the Hell is East Timor? The only thing that pops into my head is a dude in my class named Timor

Outcast
05-03-2011, 11:28 AM
It's his eastern half.

Not going to lie, I had no real idea what it was although I swear I've heard of it a long time ago.

Rio
05-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Not going to lie, I had no real idea what it was although I swear I've heard of it a long time ago.This, though I had an inkling it might have been a country or a place at least.

Arashi500
05-03-2011, 12:06 PM
I knew it was a country somewhere near indonesia's general area, but thats about it.

ClockHand
05-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Is a Island (republic) in south Asian (Indonesia).

HardToExplain
05-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Timor-Leste was a former Portuguese colony.

LVUER
05-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Then it becomes Indonesia's province, until it declares its independence sometime in 200x (forget the exact year).

Devillan
05-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Another country? be serious here there no more room...and it makes a hell of a mess

Bacon_Barbarian
05-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Says the man from Israel. Hahaha.

Devillan
05-04-2011, 05:48 PM
dude...don't bring this here...

Arashi500
05-05-2011, 12:34 PM
He has a point though.

Gedeon
05-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Wiat whats an east timor ? Sorry for living under a rock ^-^'

Devillan
05-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Wiat whats an east timor ? Sorry for living under a rock ^-^'

Same here

GunZet
05-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Isn't it called Timor-Leste now?

LVUER
05-05-2011, 10:33 PM
East Timor (now Timor Leste) is just a small province/a small island (and now a small country) with nothing special. It's understandable if only few people know about it. Though you could just google or wiki-ing (wikipedia) for it. I love internet ^_^

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
05-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Hmm, for those of you who replied the answers were about what I expected (with the exception of Bacon who put his answer in spoilers to be fair to him. But hes still an asshole). For those of you who have any interest in world affairs and what your governments and mine have been getting up too which have affected the lives of many all the world over, allow me to tell you a little bit about East Timor.

East Timor, as some of you correctly said, is a small island about 400 miles north of Austrailia. It is a former Portuagese colony, and up until 1975, the offical language was Portuagese and the offical religion was Catholisim. In 1975, the same year Pol Pot conducted his mass genocide in Cambodia, Indonesia invaded East Timor. Did you guys know that? Chances are you didn't, and its not surprising cause the reason is very simple. The amount of press coverage of East Timor was pathetically small, and still is to this day, given what a huge global event it was and is. When any country invades another, anywhere on the planet, it is known about and broadcasted as soon as humanly possible. East Timor wasn't. Why?

Well, it maybe because when two Australian journalist film crews exposed what the Indonesian government was doing in East Timor, mainly bombing and sowing the seeds of the genocide they would later carry out, the film crews were murdered in the most savage manner, which I wont discribe out of respect, and their bodies were then dragged into a house, dressed in Timorese military uniforms, propped up against machine guns and photographed. And nothing was done by the Australian government in response to this action. To my knowlegde, they didnt even demand an apology. Hmm. Oh actaully, I'm sorry thats not quite true, The Australian Government's response was to accuse the film crews of misadventure and participating in a farcical Indonesian enquiry, in which Indonesian soldiers and informants, dressed in civilian clothing, unconvincingly replaced the population of the village where the murders took place. Double Hmm. To be fair to Australia though, they do now supply more aid to East Timor than any other nation.

Or maybe what might be the reason why so few have heard of this ongoing global atrocity is becuase of the fact that just about every country in the western world sold Indonesia the weapons they used to conduct this genocide on East Timor. Its a sad fact folks that when Indonesia were gonna invade that small little island, every government funded weapons manufacturer in the western hemisphere crowded around their respective Indonesian ambassidors like flies around shit, selling the fuckers every bomber, helicopter and all the other good stuff that would turn the a significant number of the population of East Timor into a tiny red smudge on the world map for years too come. Cunts, all of them.

So yeah, no major western armed Pol Pot (some say America did, but there is not enough evidence for this) so his genocide was reported and condemned by everyone, and rightly so. Every fucker armed Indoneisa to conduct their genocide...and most people don't even know where East Timor is, let alone have knowledge of whats been happening there.

Fuck them, they are liars and murderers. All governments are liars and murderers, and I am now Jesus.

Outcast
05-06-2011, 01:01 AM
Is your last name condom by any chance?

That's pretty fucked up, but I don't really expect any better from people.

Lady_Knife
05-06-2011, 01:23 AM
Sorry to say I am truly in the dark regarding East Timor.

The only reason I know its existance was a group of people along with a Bruneian catholic priest I know went to help out an orphanage run by a local catholic priest last year. Just last week, 3 priests along with Bishop of Diocese of Brunei went there to help out. Each had carried 10 large boxes of supplies for the orphanage. They just got back last saturday.

I'm gonna ask around some more on this.

LVUER
05-06-2011, 01:44 AM
@Harvester_Of_Sorrow:
I know that much, sadly because I'm an Indonesian... Just don't forget that if you're looking carefully, each and every country have their own dark secret and their own share of genocide.

Devillan
05-06-2011, 05:46 AM
Got a philosophical question for you regarding war: In the Bible it is said that Man was created in the image of God, and throughout the entire history there are so many wars, both small and large. Bottom Line: Tell me, Does God loves war? (I'm personally an Atheist)

Lady_Knife
05-06-2011, 06:22 AM
Got a philosophical question for you regarding war: In the Bible it is said that Man was created in the image of God, and throughout the entire history there are so many wars, both small and large. Bottom Line: Tell me, Does God loves war? (I'm personally an Atheist)

Er, no. God created man in his IMAGE. Dude, just cuz the son looks like the father doesn't make them similar in character.

And that's all I'm gonna say on this subject in this thread. :cat_umm:

Devillan
05-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Er, no. God created man in his IMAGE. Dude, just cuz the son looks like the father doesn't make them similar in character.

And that's all I'm gonna say on this subject in this thread. :cat_umm:

Finally!!! A straight to the point answer...thank you

Gedeon
05-06-2011, 08:04 AM
:cat_shock: TWO comments about RELIGION that DIDN'T end up in a big debate!:cat_yahoo: great job guys!!

EDIT:

Also Harvest we had a similar (but not so drastic and not nearly as dark) situation here in Serbia. Well actually there was an asshole of a Serbian that went into Croatia and started a genocide that was funded by some of the NATO governments and some other governments. It makes me think that something dark and gory is happening right now and we are oblivious to it. Scary.

Devillan
05-06-2011, 08:38 AM
I just remembered that some time ago that a dude that was responsible for genocide was captured in Israel...the genocide was in Europe...it was on the news

Hell_Baron
05-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Damn H, that's pretty fucked up...
but then again, i'm not suprised that every major country (including Australia) imidiately starts selling arms to Indonesia.
because, as we all know: "War is good for business".

and sadly no one gives a fuck besides those who suffer it.

Devillan
05-08-2011, 05:34 PM
One time my teacher said that technology is so advanced is because of war....I sometimes wonder if its true

LVUER
05-09-2011, 03:03 AM
Yup, that is sadly true. Lots of our today convenience created because of technology that invented because WW2. Microwave and jet airliner are few among them...

Arashi500
05-09-2011, 12:51 PM
War's not-so-saving grace is the discoveries we make in desperation to win the war which later get turned into civilian appliances.

Devillan
05-09-2011, 07:48 PM
There's always 3 sides in a war: the 2 sides fighting and the side that wants it to end...the civilians

Blue_Dragon
05-10-2011, 02:37 AM
I didn't know about Timor until I heard a Shakira song that made me look it up. I'd heard about it before and knew it was a country, but I didn't know much more than that. I was saddened to learn everything that was going on.

Here's the song, if anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfxNOVC7gYA&feature=fvst

It's kinda sad also that we weren't informed much about it. But then, our news isn't really news here in the States, is it?

Edit: The video doesn't relate to the song at all, which is disappointing. If you're gonna put it to a video, you should at least put some images that relate to what she's talking about.

Hell_Baron
05-10-2011, 12:24 PM
You know, East Timor isn't the only country that suffers from this.

i mean look at african countries. children are kidnapped from their homes to fight a civil war and are eventually forced to kill their own family and if that's no enough armsdealers are constantly supplying the warlords with guns and explosives in return for either lumber or blood diamonds. and to top it all off, no one gives a shit.

Devillan
05-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Wars are for greedy bastards that don't give a damn about others...karma will eventually pay them back

Slurpee
05-10-2011, 06:04 PM
:( This is really sad
I am surprised the world governments were able to cover this up for so long and that not many know much about it

Bacon_Barbarian
05-10-2011, 07:35 PM
:( This is really sad
I am surprised the world governments were able to cover this up for so long and that not many know much about it

Cover up? No cover up.

America, the UK, Australia, Japan, and freaking Canada, all approved of the occupation (genocide cover).

Delphinus
05-11-2011, 08:27 PM
See this is what happens when colonies get cut off from the main empire.

Bacon_Barbarian
05-12-2011, 04:53 PM
See this is what happens when colonies get cut off from the main empire.

No. This is what happens when they do so without taking care of the countries problems before they leave.

HardToExplain
05-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Bacon is right, after the revolution of 74 we immediately abandoned all colonies (cept Macau) knowing they couldn't stand on their on. There were some generals (especially general Spinola ) who wanted a slower and steadier handout process but the radical revolutionaries took over and didn't allow for that.

Delphinus
05-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Actually I agree with you, Bacon, but once the infrastructure and constitution of a colony becomes totally integrated with that of the occupier it's kind of hard to separate them without causing some sort of damage. The solution is either to not invade them in the first place or to offer them status as an overseas territory.

Bacon_Barbarian
05-12-2011, 07:04 PM
By overseas territory, you mean like what the Virgin Islands are to the US (and UK) or something else?

Delphinus
05-12-2011, 07:06 PM
I mean like what Hawaii is to the US or Gibraltar is to the UK. A part of the country while not necessarily being geographically adjacent to it, with full citizenship rights to the populace of that territory.

Bacon_Barbarian
05-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Hawaii isn't a territory ... But yeah, I get your point.