PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: A new direction for platformers

Fenn
05-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Really, I'm both surprised and completely unsurprised platformers have not gone competitive yet. One one hand, with online gaming the latest sensation in the industry, shooters, fighters, racing games, and RPGs all carved out space for themselves in the online realm. On the other hand, platformers have always been solo affairs. Until NSMB Wii we really didn't have a well-known multiplayer 2D platformer.

I just feel like platforming is a great fit for competitive play. Split the screen horizontally, put two players on the same map, and race to the finish! That's just the beginning too; plenty of staples like coin collecting and enemy-bashing could be added to enhance the competitive gameplay. Throw in a stage editor and time trial mode and we have unlimited competitive play.

I have a bunch of ideas for this concept but I'll let people reply to the general idea first: Yay or nay?

Evil_Cake
05-02-2011, 04:51 PM
have u played mario party there are a couple minigames like that

LVUER
05-02-2011, 11:01 PM
I believe there are already plenty platformers like that in NES era.

jubeh
05-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Didn't most of the sonic games have a race feature.

Arashi500
05-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Have you ever played little big planet? Not competetive per say, but still a multiplayer platformer.

ClockHand
05-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Have you played DOTA and his childs?

Is like what Little Big Planet is gonna become.

Fenn
05-03-2011, 07:37 PM
I believe there are already plenty platformers like that in NES era.

You may be right, but the NES is a bit outdated...

Didn't most of the sonic games have a race feature.

Again, I believe you, but that was pre-online.

Have you ever played little big planet? Not competetive per say, but still a multiplayer platformer.

Yes, awesome game. But yet again not exactly what I described.

Have you played DOTA and his childs?

Is like what Little Big Planet is gonna become.

DotA is a platformer?

CypressDahlia
05-03-2011, 08:13 PM
I don't even see the comparison between LBP and DOTA...

Regantor
05-11-2011, 04:40 AM
There was going to be a Metal Slug online game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Slug_Zero_Online)with these exact features a while back, but it was canned because SNK wasn't happy with the work their subcontracting company did...

But anyway, yeah. Multiplayer plats themselves are a rarity nowadays, now that series like Contra aren't that popular anymore.

Fenn
05-14-2011, 10:06 AM
There was going to be a Metal Slug online game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Slug_Zero_Online)with these exact features a while back, but it was canned because SNK wasn't happy with the work their subcontracting company did...

But anyway, yeah. Multiplayer plats themselves are a rarity nowadays, now that series like Contra aren't that popular anymore.

Exactly! With online gaming so strong, it's the perfect time for someone to dedicate a game to 2D platforming competition!