PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Recommendations?

Outcast
05-01-2011, 10:22 AM
So anyone know of any sci-fi series manga, anime either's fine.

Kodos
05-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex.

jubeh
05-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Akira is the answer. If you can hunt down the tomes its worth it.

ClockHand
05-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Akira, Nausica, Ghost in the Shield, Metropolis (the anime is also awesome), Ronin (frank miller), V for Vendetta and The Invisible: Say you want revolution (grant morrison).

Evil_Cake
05-01-2011, 04:00 PM
v for vendetta = sci fi?? eh...

ClockHand
05-01-2011, 04:24 PM
V for Vendetta is a ten-issue dystopian graphic novel series written by Alan Moore and illustrated mostly by David Lloyd, set in a dystopian future United Kingdom imagined from the 1980s to about the 1990s.

Yeah it is.

jubeh
05-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Yeah but then fist of the north star would be sci-fi. It really doesn't have any sci-fi themes I can think of.

Anyway if you don't mind robots you should watch the original gundam trilogy. I just saw it at my store so it shouldn't be terribly hard to find.

ClockHand
05-01-2011, 04:40 PM
You should also watch Brazil.

Outcast
05-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Anyway if you don't mind robots

Rio
05-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Battle Angel Alita
Tenchi Muyo!
Patlabor
Wings of Honneamise
Macross Plus
Escaflowne (sci-fi fantasy)
...and that's all I remember at the moment. :\

Kodos
05-01-2011, 08:51 PM
How is V for Vendetta manga and/or anime? Same for Brazil.

But yeah. I'd echo the suggestion of the original UC Gundam Stuff. Also TTGL, although really that's less Sci-Fi and more its own unique thing.

ClockHand
05-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Because I just read the title which only says "Sci-fi Recommendations". And also because those 2 are pretty damn good.

Outcast
05-01-2011, 09:45 PM
One wonders why it's in the "anime and manga" section then...

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Evil_Cake
05-01-2011, 09:50 PM
idk why u wouldnt want any type of comic

i mean not only manga

Outcast
05-01-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm fine with comics I'm not fond of live action stuff though.

ClockHand
05-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Brazil is not a movie adaptation from a comic/manga. Is a movie, and everyone should watch it, its pretty good.

LVUER
05-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Apple Seed - you know this one, from the same guy who made Ghost in the Shell (anime and manga)
Dominion Tank Police - again, from Masamune Shirow, about police who use tanks (anime and manga)
ZOE - most PS2 gamers should know this one, one of the best sci-fi game out there, but the anime isn't so good... there's two kind of anime, one is series and the other is OVA (anime)
Viper Creed - transforming robots, yea ^_^ (anime)
Freezing - big boobs, cool fighting sequence, gore and blood... what else do you need? (anime and manga)
Mahoromatic - a moe maid robot that used to be the strongest robot humanity ever have, good anime with unfortunately not so well made ending (anime)

Outcast
05-01-2011, 11:20 PM
"Freezing - big boobs, cool fighting sequence, gore and blood... what else do you need?"
Lack of tits.

Regantor
05-01-2011, 11:46 PM
If you don't mind something a tinsy bit old, try the Armored Trooper Votoms anime, perticularly the OVAs. It has a MUCH more "realisitic miltary" feel than Gundam, an adult hero, non-embarrasing animimation and a really gritty plot. There are new CG ones out too, but they are a bit "eh".

http://www.anime-direct.com/snaps/Armored%20Trooper%20VOTOMS%20-%20Pailsen%20Files.jpg

Out of the ones people already suggested, I support Battle Angel Alita, GITS, Appleseed (Manga is better.), Macross Plus and ZOE (Idolo OVA in perticular). Generator Gawl is a complete U-turn in that it's more of a time-traveling Guyver thing, but it's pretty nice. Also, Blame! :3

LVUER
05-02-2011, 02:40 AM
"Freezing - big boobs, cool fighting sequence, gore and blood... what else do you need?"
Lack of tits.

The manga have some "almost visible" tits. Understandable though, since one tit is enough to boost up the age rating. We want a sci-fi manga here, not a hentai (if you want tits, just look for hentai) ^_^ Not that I hate tits though...

But don't worry about tits, the naughty scenes in Freezing are more than enough to make up for it.

Rio
05-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Ok, remembered some more:
Ergo Proxy
Martian Successor Nadesico
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Lost Universe
Bubblegum Crises
Artimage
Catgirl Nuku Nuku

Outcast
05-02-2011, 11:37 AM
The manga have some "almost visible" tits. Understandable though, since one tit is enough to boost up the age rating. We want a sci-fi manga here, not a hentai (if you want tits, just look for hentai) ^_^ Not that I hate tits though...

But don't worry about tits, the naughty scenes in Freezing are more than enough to make up for it.

I was stating my desire for less not more.

Regantor
05-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Ok, remembered some more:
Ergo Proxy
Martian Successor Nadesico
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Lost Universe
Bubblegum Crises
Artimage
Catgirl Nuku Nuku

Ergo Proxy was really nice, but just such a mindsmeg that I'm still not even sure now how I'd rate it. >_>

Gurren Lagann characters + Realistic Senario = Martian Successor Nadesico. :3

Armitage is very odd in that it's quite similar in themes to GITS, but alot more blunt...

Also, since nobody else has said it; COWBOY BEBOP, furcrispiessake!...

Arashi500
05-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Level E is a sort of Sci-Fi comedy, primarily about the head of the alien Earth Defense Forces being a universally hated troll.

Outcast
05-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Thank you everybody.

GunZet
05-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Ahem. Big O.

ClockHand
05-04-2011, 11:00 AM
20th Century Boys should be the first one you read (at the beginning you are not going to understand why is a sci-fi, but after a while you are going to get it).

Blue_Dragon
05-10-2011, 01:51 AM
Noise was a good one shot. It was really creepy...I couldn't read it at night.

http://pplibraryreviews.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/noise.jpg

Sparky-J
05-10-2011, 02:26 AM
Pluto, which is really more of a suspense thriller in a sci fi setting, it's Naoki Urasawa's take on old Astro Boy story, and while I'm at it, Astro Boy.

Also Space Adventure Cobra.

BozeSG
05-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Noise was a good one shot. It was really creepy...I couldn't read it at night.
you know that's blame!'s prequel.......... right?

if you want sci fi you shouldn't miss blame! it's a really creepy manga but a very intresting one, you'll just hear 10 or so dialogues in the whole series and the rest is just pure action...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a7/Blame%21-v10--Cover.jpg

and also if you can enjoy something non-action then Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a nice anime, it's pretty old but it's story and characters with it's starwars-like theme is enjoyable.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5d/LoGH_Overture_to_a_New_War.jpg