PDA

View Full Version : Hellsing: Continue?

Wolfen300
06-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Alright so there was Hellsing: The Dawn, the Prequel to Hellsing, revealing the history of Millennium, Walter, and Alucard, as the violent butler and angel of death take down the vampire/ghoul/werewolf creating Nazis (Millennium). Then came the B.A. Vampire in the form we know and love along with the priest that just wouldn't die, and the police girl that took Alucard's place by Integra's side. So the question. Should there be a sequel?

I think they should. We need more of the comedic stubbornness and refusal to die of the characters. Plus the gore was at just the right level. Just enough blood and guts to set you on edge without shoving you over. Plus c'mon. The enslavement of the most notorious Vampire ever. Now his disciple is the main character. It must be done!

Comment!

Gaff
06-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Much as I like Hellsing, having seen both anime versions and read part of the manga, I think that was enough for me. I can't see any compelling way of continuing the story, short of branching out into an entirely different cast.

I'd rather they animated Drifters instead.

Wolfen300
06-10-2013, 06:56 PM
What don't think Seras should get her history? Come now, she has one event under her belt, Alucard has hundreds. It'd be awesome to see how she theoretically changes history as she carries on. And she doesn't get a mortal enemy, where as Alucard had Anderson to fight at every turn. It's like giving two of your three kids a turn on the swings but not the third, and there was no reason behind it. To me you have to let her take her turn and create a new story. And yeah, it'd have to be new characters, Integra's almost dead from old age, and pretty much every other character's dead. Alucard can't take other's life forces in anymore so he's screwed if he feeds more than necessary.

Demonfyre
06-10-2013, 07:04 PM
You do make an interesting point, but I would rather see Hellsing stopped than have it dug out of the grave and continued into the lengths of obscurity - so much so that it looses its self identity and plummets into mediocrity :/

Wolfen300
06-10-2013, 07:22 PM
True. Spinoff?

Demonfyre
06-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Well, Seras' story after Alucard would be interesting to hear about to be honest. Especially her struggles and such in the changed world.

Wolfen300
06-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Definitely. And it'd be funny to find out how the last 2 of the Wild Geese ended up.

theAnimeRebel
06-11-2013, 12:52 AM
Funny coincidence... I learned of the exsistence of Hellsing just today. Talk about obscurity, maybe I'm out of the loop. x__X

(Not that I hadn't heard the name before, I just didn't know what it was.)

Kodos
06-11-2013, 07:49 AM
I've heard only bad things about Hellsing. My cousin, who's taste I generally value, tells me that a lot of the secondary characters are good but that Alucard himself is basically a Gary Ste of epic proportions and has such ridiculous infallibility and plot armor that it kind of kills any tension or enjoyment.

Hearsay, I know, but while we're all tossing in our Hellsing experiences I figured I'd share.

Lucifer
06-11-2013, 09:20 AM
I read the manga and have seen both anime series. It was good, but it does not require a sequel. I'm happy with how it ended.

Also, whilst Alucard is pretty much as plain a character as you can get, that doesn't make him any less enjoyable (IMHO, that is).

Demonfyre
06-11-2013, 09:29 AM
I've heard only bad things about Hellsing. My cousin, who's taste I generally value, tells me that a lot of the secondary characters are good but that Alucard himself is basically a Gary Ste of epic proportions and has such ridiculous infallibility and plot armor that it kind of kills any tension or enjoyment.

Hearsay, I know, but while we're all tossing in our Hellsing experiences I figured I'd share.

To be fair, I can't disagree with him being overpowered to ridiculous extremities, but personally I like the fact that he does have at least an interesting vulnerability and said vulnerability makes at least some sense.

SpOiLeRs;
The fact that he uses consumed souls to restore himself and the fact that he has devoured a copious amount of them over his long life. But his weak point being the fact that if he releases them all in a torrent he essentially reverts back to a man.

However, I think there is kinda a superman conundrum in that... how do you give a creature that is seemingly invincible any sense of flaw or want. I think it's his bloodlust and his control/or lack thereof which makes him interesting, not the fact that he is some super vampire.

EDIT: and also his desire to be killed by a mortal

Wolfen300
06-11-2013, 01:25 PM
His personality is what makes him interesting plus the way he rampages. Plus it's supposed to be towards the extreme, nowhere close to realistic. If it was the ending woulda suuuuuuucked.

Kodos
06-11-2013, 03:02 PM
The problem isn't being extremely powerful. The problem is being infallible. Goku is extremely powerful, but so are his villains so it's interesting because his villains pose a viable threat to him. Not the best example, I know, but just saying. The problem is is that Alucard, as he has been described to me, is not merely extremely powerful, but more or less invincible. His enemies do not pose viable threats to him. It's hard to care when we never, for even the slightest second, believe our protagonist to be at risk of defeat or failure. Like, that's why Doctor Who, the show needs the companions. Because the Doctor is a god-like alien for whom death is a inconvenience so in order for us to really worry about him failing, we generally need to give him humans to worry about because then there is something he can fail at.

Wolfen300
06-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Lol he's not infallible. Especially at the end. It's hard to describe without giving it away, so you'll have to read it. The OVAs are actually really good and continue farther than the manga and original rendition of he series. Lemme put it like this: Goku ALWAYS comes back to win somehow. Alucard only survives and continues to live. Live being a very subjective term.

Taragon
06-11-2013, 03:41 PM
While there are still a couple of loose ends at the end of the series, I don't think it's ever a good thing for a series/movie/book to explain everything and work out all the possible storylines. Sequels and spin-offs tend to have less quality then originals (there are quite a few exceptions of course) and the fact that Hellsing already balanced on the borderline of becoming cliche by having too much gore (which actually makes it good) I doubt a sequel would honor the original series.

Demonfyre
06-11-2013, 04:33 PM
The problem isn't being extremely powerful. The problem is being infallible. Goku is extremely powerful, but so are his villains so it's interesting because his villains pose a viable threat to him. Not the best example, I know, but just saying. The problem is is that Alucard, as he has been described to me, is not merely extremely powerful, but more or less invincible. His enemies do not pose viable threats to him. It's hard to care when we never, for even the slightest second, believe our protagonist to be at risk of defeat or failure. Like, that's why Doctor Who, the show needs the companions. Because the Doctor is a god-like alien for whom death is a inconvenience so in order for us to really worry about him failing, we generally need to give him humans to worry about because then there is something he can fail at.

That is why it is better when you take said invincible being and shove him into a scenario whereby he is now weak and vulnerable. That would be the point of the last episodes of the OVA. Also, he does have an adversary whom is similar or arguably stronger; Alexander Anderson.

As far as the Doctor Who companions go, that would be the point of Seras.

Wolfen300
06-11-2013, 04:50 PM
I have to say Anderson's stronger until Alucard finds the resolve to destroy him. And Seras is no longer a... destructible companion. Well she has 2 lives that we know of. Hers and Bernadette's