PDA

View Full Version : Weird habits and possible OCD thread

jubeh
04-21-2011, 11:50 PM
This is a thread I've been meaning to make ever since my siblings pointed out some weird shit I do without realizing it. This is a thread to talk about any sort of strange habits you have and stuff along those lines.

So here goes.

Here are some of my irrational(?) fears:
-Won't answer a corded phone if I don't know who is on the other line. Cordless phones are fine.
- Won't open a door unless I know who is on the other side (which seems reasonable to me)
-Can't eat spaghetti in front of other people that aren't family

Other weird habits:
-I can't put the volume of the tv at an odd number. It always has to be even.
-If Im walking on a tiled floor I have to step within the tiles. If the tiles are too small for my feet then I need to step with the middle of my foot directly on the crack.
-I can't like anything my sister likes or it really pisses me off. I think this has more to do with our poor relationship though.

Okay your turn

Hayashida
04-22-2011, 12:03 AM
I can't think of any weird habit that I do, and its starting to annoy me that I can't think of one.

Evil_Cake
04-22-2011, 12:08 AM
i do that stepping in middle of tiles thing

also while walking on different colored stuff I imagine a different tone for each color and try to walk to a beat of some song

sometimes I rub my hand with the other hand.. and u know how theres some black stuff that starts to gather sometimes? well i try to make that into a ball as big as I can. only when super bored tho

Arashi500
04-22-2011, 12:12 AM
This is a thread I've been meaning to make ever since my siblings pointed out some weird shit I do without realizing it. This is a thread to talk about any sort of strange habits you have and stuff along those lines.

So here goes.

Other weird habits:
-I can't put the volume of the tv at an odd number. It always has to be even.
-If Im walking on a tiled floor I have to step within the tiles. If the tiles are too small for my feet then I need to step with the middle of my foot directly on the crack.

Okay your turn

I've got those. I also can't stand my hands being dry/touching dry surfaces like rough paper, sand, concrete, rubber, you name it without immediately washing my hands before and afterwards. I also compulsively crack my joints and bite my fingernails(thankfully not my toenails but still).

Ozzaharwood
04-22-2011, 12:47 AM
When I play cards I have to line them up perfectly.
I can't drink out of a cup that is in the least bit dirty.
I can't play Xbox if my controller is dirty.
When I clean dishes I take three times as long as a normal person in order to make sure they are clean.
When I have a shower it needs to be scorching hot.

jubeh
04-22-2011, 12:49 AM
When I clean dishes I take three times as long as a normal person in order to make sure they are clean.

Do you time people when they do the dishes or something

Ozzaharwood
04-22-2011, 12:57 AM
No, it was just a rough guess

LVUER
04-22-2011, 01:38 AM
- Won't open a door unless I know who is on the other side (which seems reasonable to me)
It's not a weird habit here (in my country). It's called a precaution, because who knows if person (or several person) on the other side are bad guys who want to rob you, or kill you, or both. Really, I'm serious here.

My weird habit?
- I always wash my hands after doing something. And I definitely always wash my hands before doing something. The result is... I always wash my hands (perhaps about once every half an hour).
- When I walk, I always looks behind now and then, just in case someone is following me.
- I always have a feeling that I left behind something. So I always recheck all things I have/brought, and recheck all places I've been to in case there's something I left behind.
- When I'm about to wear something (cloth, shoe, etc), I always careful check them just in case there's something stuck on/in it.

Psy
04-22-2011, 02:55 AM
- I have to check all the doors and windows to make sure they are locked before I can lay down.
- I have to check the stove before bed to.
- I refuse to call and order anything from anywhere (like pizza).
- If I think something that is kind of repulsive or just something I don't want to happen (like some one in my family getting hurt) I have to knock on wood several times (50 or more) and if wood isnot available I knock on my skull.
- I can only use certain spoons and forks in my own home (I'm fine at like a reasturant) and will spen upwards of 5 mins trying to find one since there are only like 2 of each.
- I have to step within the slab of concrete on the side walk never the crease.
- I count my steps. Except if I'm looking for something or talking.
- I constantly play with the volume on my iPod when listening to music in public.
- I pat myself down allot because I'm affraid I forgot / left/ lost my stuff somewhere.
- I am scared when I eat anything stringy (spaghetti) because I think I am going to choke on it.
- I don't like to eat with people because im not sure if I eat weird so I start to think I do and become hyper aware of everything I do.
- I can't watch things where some one gets embarrassed because I get embarrassed for them and look away or turn the tv off.

Probably more but that's enough.

Outcast
04-22-2011, 04:34 AM
- I pace alot especially when I'm thinking
- I hate odd numbers except for 5
- I sometimes feel like people can read my mind so I try to not think
- Doors that aren't completely opened or closed make me very nervous
- Sometimes I feel like I'm being watched and whatever's watching me wants to kill me
- Mirrors deeply bother me for some unknown reason

Renzokuken
04-22-2011, 05:12 AM
- Mirrors deeply bother me for some unknown reason

Yeah, the same for me, tbh. At night, they freaking creep me out.

-I must smell a book before I can read it. The better the smell, the more I pay attention to it.
-On hot days, crowds stress me out and I have to leave that crowded area.
-I wash my hands a lot during the day.
-I sniff crisps. Once when the bag's first opened and once for the first two crisps I pull out.
-When I eat Skittles, I have to count how much is eaten, even if I share.
-I often write dates on old work and keep telling myself its because I don't want to forget about them?
-I suck my thumb.

Yep.

butternut
04-22-2011, 06:36 AM
-When I'm sitting on something (chair, bed..) with one leg shorter or something, I must rock and make that "tik-tik-tik" kind of noise.
-Chewing the back of pen when not writing.
-I can't stand to see a pen without its cap. I always close them. Same for bottles and boxes. Always replace the cap properly after using. (That's something I got from my dad I guess)
-Kicking stones while walking on road. I keep kicking the same stone until it goes somewhere unreachable.
-The walking on tiles thingie. I do it too, someitmes in the boxes, sometimes on the lines, sometimes alternate, combos and so on.
...and I can't think of anymore.

Sylux
04-22-2011, 07:44 AM
I have a habit of walking like a delinquent.

http://www.watchanimesub.com/thumb/cromartie-high-school-episode-3-english-subbed.jpg

Delphinus
04-22-2011, 08:14 AM
- I talk to myself and pace when I'm thinking hard or caught up in an idea.
- I sometimes smirk at people under my breath while talking to them then say I was 'reminded of a joke'.
- I get periods of extreme energy randomly where I can't sleep but have to do something extreme. I tend to write or plot world domination most in these periods. It feels like being on epic stimulants and taking actual stimulants makes it even more amazing. Possibly mild hypomania?
- When I'm around other people I can't sleep because I have too much energy from their company.

Superdooperphailmachine
04-22-2011, 09:05 AM
I pace a lot and shadow box while pacing sometimes.
I play with my hair a lot.
I often scratch my arm with my chin hair, mostly after a shave
I keep tapping or shaking a foot when sitting.
I sit on the floor whilst watching power rangers. Rarely the couch.

Outcast
04-22-2011, 02:43 PM
I though foot tapping was normal (at least here).

Renzokuken
04-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Not too much. There is at least one foot-tapper per like class.

GunZet
04-22-2011, 04:10 PM
-Can't talk on the phone without moving
-I always skip down stairs or jump
-I hate looking at my feet when I put shoes on or take them off, or ever.
-Mustache must line up with the outer edges of my mouth, exactly.

jubeh
04-22-2011, 04:11 PM
I have a habit of walking like a delinquent.

Man I've been doing this since high school

Hayashida
04-22-2011, 04:24 PM
yeah same

butternut
04-22-2011, 04:33 PM
-Can't talk on the phone without moving

This one too. It anooys the hell out of my mum.

Arashi500
04-22-2011, 05:34 PM
I become incredibly narcoleptic whenever I'm even slightly bored. Not even just sleep being funner than nothing, a bit more serious as I can fall asleep suddenly while standing up, and end up injring myself by walking into something/someone or falling over.

Delphinus
04-22-2011, 05:35 PM
^ I hope you never get a driver's license.

Jak
04-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Or a job with people's lives at stake...

I don't like to reuse water bottles. Is that weird?

Arashi500
04-22-2011, 06:04 PM
I have to much to pay attention to when driving for it to ever become a problem.

Sylux
04-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Man I've been doing this since high school
Cracka I am in high school

Slurpee
04-23-2011, 12:19 AM
-I don't get contacts because I am afraid that the plastic will melt into my eyes
-I always keep the shower curtain open except while showering because I have the irrational fear of aliens living in my shower
-I don't like to talk on the phone because I hear voices and sometimes I am afraid that I am hallucinating entire conversations
-I need to turn off every light in the house or else I will be unable to sleep
-I cover my mouth with my hand while doing alot of things, if my hands are busy I use my shirt. I'm doing it right now
-I always look away or at someone else while talking. Not even indirect looking in the face

jubeh
04-23-2011, 12:57 AM
-I always look away or at someone else while talking. Not even indirect looking in the face

Why would you do that

Psy
04-23-2011, 03:09 AM
- I have a fear that i look like im crying half the time because my eyes water all the damn time so i blink allot or just look down.
- I am affraid to wipe my eyes in public because people might think im crying.
- I look down when i walk because when i meet some one elses eye i dont know what to do. (seriously! If i smile and nod im a creeper. If i stare them down i apperently want to fight. If i look away i am some sort of snob.)
- When i meet some one new at work i ususally break the ice by asking if i can hurt them some how. (can i put this tape in your hair. put this battery on your tongue please. Can i kick your shin. things like that)
- When i see some one that im sure ive met before but am not sure and dont know their name i scowl at them like its their fault that they didnt make a big enough impression on me for me to remember them.

Blue_Dragon
04-23-2011, 04:25 AM
-My closet door has to be checked and closed ever since I saw [i]The Watcher[i] like five years ago

-I don't like to have my feet touching the ground when the engine of a train goes by. The rest of the train is fine, just the engine. I for the life of me don't know why

-I check the stove three or four times before bed cause it's a gas stove. I also check the front door three or four times and even touch it to make sure it's locked, even if the knob's turned.

-I check my alarm 5-6 times before going to bed to make sure it's set, on the right time, and not on vibrate (I use my phone, cause it doesn't mess up if the electricity goes out, and I don't need a bunch of batteries to replace.)

-If something odd happened to me at work, or uncomfortable. I replay it over and over and sometimes can't sleep. Not just at work, anywhere/anything.

-If I'm doing something where my hand are free, I mess with my hair a lot. I don't want to, I just do. It's worse when have it tied in a ponytail, so I try to do a bun or braid it

-If braid my hair and I'm drawing, I for some reason will balance it atop my head when I'm sitting back thinking or looking. I got caught doing this once, and now anytime I have it braided, my boyfriend will do it to me. It's odd

-When eating, especially in a restaurant, I obsessively make sure I don't have any food in the corners of my mouth or on my face. I can't help it, I just can't stand the idea of having something there.

ClockHand
04-23-2011, 01:38 PM
- When I walk on the street I always try to do every step in a symmetrical way with the lines on the ground or the structures at the side, think that those make invisible lines in the ground. So I never step on the lines.

jubeh
04-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Hm yeah that seems to be a pretty normal thing

Zoe
04-24-2011, 10:11 PM
I can't sleep in my room unless my door is at a specific point. If it's even an inch different it drives me crazy and I can't sleep.

I also need to sit facing the door in restaurants. And once I'm seated I have to rearrange the settings so it's nice and evenly spaced apart.

I also can't go to sleep if I brush my teeth without going to the bathroom afterwards.

Celestial-Fox
04-25-2011, 03:10 AM
Uhhh, I have to clean my ears at least twice a day.

And that's about it. XD

GunZet
04-25-2011, 01:26 PM
I don't take a shower unless I have all my clothes picked out.
That meaning I gotta have socks, pants, shirt, shoes, all that stuff ready. I come out dressed and ready to go.

I also MUST have clean socks.

Rio
04-25-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't take a shower unless I have all my clothes picked out.
That meaning I gotta have socks, pants, shirt, shoes, all that stuff ready. I come out dressed and ready to go.I do that too (minus the shoes and socks) but I don't think it's OC. It's just being prepared, imo.

GunZet
04-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Yea. No time to dawdle around if Godzilla decides to rain on your parade eh.

Also can't step in a sidewalk square more than a certain amount of times. (Two max, depends on the length)
And if I'm walking on a sidewalk and a car is coming up, I gotta get over the next crack before it passes me....lol I dunno.

butternut
04-26-2011, 04:08 AM
Oh, I do that too..For me it was...normal, everyone around me does that. Is it not normal?

mangaka
04-26-2011, 04:36 AM
I have a OCD with numbers, i cant stand odd numbers at all, the tv volume, etc has to be at a even number, when i'm stressed i count the pavement slabs in two's, dunno why but it calms me down, and if i lose count i must start counting again & only stop when i get to 1000

Sylux
04-26-2011, 12:39 PM
That's weird, for me the TV volume has to be at some multiple of 5 or it'll drive me insane.

mangaka
04-26-2011, 01:54 PM
its a odd habit i have had since a kid,my other half thinks i'm crazy! it helps me calm down when somethings pissed me off

GunZet
04-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Split-personality?

Sylux
04-26-2011, 01:56 PM
GunZet, have you ever experienced the warmth of a Wookie?

mangaka
04-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Sorry i meant my other half as in my fiance lol

Renzokuken
04-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Americans don't use other half to mean partner (in a relationship)?

jubeh
04-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Yeah we do

GunZet
04-26-2011, 04:05 PM
The ones who don't have a partner don't use it.

mangaka
04-26-2011, 04:11 PM
i normally call him the old man but some people use that term for their dads

GunZet
04-26-2011, 04:12 PM
I still call my dad 'daddy' Lol.

Sylux
04-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I use that on my biological father. However, I could never even think about getting away with that crap on my stepdad. He's just too gruff.

Blue_Dragon
04-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Gruff as in McGruff?

http://www.jupiter.fl.us/Police/images/McGruff.gif

If you call him "daddy" he'll take a bite out of you.

Ozzaharwood
04-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Godzilla took a bite out of Optimus Prime like Scruff McGruff took a bite out of crime.... Uhm yeah.

Anyways, this thread has gone way off topic so I'll add some things:
- I always check my silverware for any stain before I eat. If there is one, I'll have to wash it and put it in the sink so someone will wash it again.
- I can't sleep without a blanket
- If I go to someone's house and I feel something isn't organized the way it should be, I get the urge to change it.
- If I create a mess anywhere, I have to clean it up

Blue_Dragon
04-27-2011, 04:18 AM
^You can come to my house :) I wouldn't care if you acted on your cleaning/organizing OCD :)

Speaking of sleep, I have to have two pillows. It isn't the the thickness of the pillows: a pillow of equal size as two thinner/smaller pillows doesn't cut it. I have to have two. Dunno why.

When eating pizza, I always pick the toppings off and eat the cheese and stuff last. This doesn't work with Chicago style which I tackle a totally different way. Eating in general, I always try to save the best for last. Including drinks :) Just a habit I have.

Devillan
04-27-2011, 07:06 AM
I've got only a couple of weird things I do:

Getting behind people shorter than me (which is easy) and stare at them
When I'm sitting alone I sometimes start to laugh like a insane dude

Slurpee
04-27-2011, 03:21 PM
like this? mauhsahhahdusadiasubdasds;adnsaonds

Lol
I always tie my hair up. Never down, hair is itchy :(

Rio
04-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Itchy? Maybe you need to use a better shampoo. There are one's that can make it softer, smoother feeling.

Devillan
04-27-2011, 07:26 PM
I'll won't have any hair issues....*sob*....my mane is going down in 2 weeks

Rio
04-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Why are you getting it cut if you feel badly about it? (Well, I'll understand if it's for health reasons or if it's overtaken your head....)

ClockHand
04-28-2011, 10:52 AM
-I hate people who stand behind me (is a hate with no reason).
-I hate people who sit next to me.
-I'm always making memory test to myself (maybe for me fear to Alzheimer).
-I'm always doing hand exercise (fear to arthritis).
-I'm always re-organizing things. Some times I feel that ABC is the way to go, other I feel that genres is how it should be organized and other I feel I need to organize things for Authors.
-I always clean 2 times before every things I use. When I eat I have to clean the dish, spoon, knife and glass before using it, even if are already clean

Noodlesoup
04-28-2011, 11:47 AM
->I don't like to share food/drinks with anybody, not even my family. I think that's fairly common though.
->If I really want something to happen I repeat it seven times under my breath. No idea why because I'm not very superstitious.
->I often get bored of walking normally and then extend my arms and run around, pretending to be a plane. I try not to do this in public, but sometimes I forget, and then it's just embarrassing. Sad times.

Devillan
04-28-2011, 03:35 PM
@Rio: My mane is going down cuz I'm going to serve in the army for 3 years

GunZet
04-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Awww yeaa. Whatcha goin' for...frontline?

Devillan
04-28-2011, 03:53 PM
nope, can't. The military in Israel isn't like the US so it'll be a bit hard to explain

GunZet
04-28-2011, 04:00 PM
I heard they teach you like...kickass fighting moves in the Israeli army.

Devillan
04-28-2011, 04:21 PM
That's called Krav Maga, In English its Contact Battle or Melee, and its for units like the border patrol and other high-class units, I get basic training

GunZet
04-28-2011, 04:39 PM
BAWW. Well good luck with your venture bro.

butternut
04-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Oh my god! military! Is it compulsory to serve in the army at some point in your life? Or you want to get into it? Woah, good luck man!

Devillan
04-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Its a must!!! Unless you have some serious health issues or mental problems

GunZet
04-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Oshit..mandatory. Well that sucks.

Outcast
04-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Fuck man, good luck.

Rio
04-28-2011, 06:04 PM
@Rio: My mane is going down cuz I'm going to serve in the army for 3 years

I was wondering if that was the reason.... Tough break man. Hopefully, nothing serious happens while you're in duty.

Sylux
04-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Hopefully you get to kill lots of Communist murderers in Vietnam.

Devillan
04-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Nah, I'm happy that I'm going to the army...I'm sick of being at home all the time

Ozzaharwood
04-28-2011, 10:08 PM
TBH, the majority of soldiers in the army don't see any action when on duty, so you shouldn't worry. Plus they are supposedly taking out all soldiers in the middle-east by the end of 2011, except a few to train the police, so you probably won't go overseas. I think you'll be okay. C:

LVUER
04-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Its a must!!! Unless you have some serious health issues or mental problems

It reminds me to how military applies the principle of "Which is first, chicken or egg?". If you want to decide to not to participate in an operation, you must either injured or mentally not sane. Most people wouldn't want to deliberately injured themselves, so it's easier to say that you are not sane. But insane people never think themselves as insane, only sane person could think like that. So...

Evil_Cake
04-28-2011, 10:52 PM
TBH, the majority of soldiers in the army don't see any action when on duty, so you shouldn't worry. Plus they are supposedly taking out all soldiers in the middle-east by the end of 2011, except a few to train the police, so you probably won't go overseas. I think you'll be okay. C:

did he say hes in Israel

Ozzaharwood
04-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Oh, I didn't see that...

Well it's probably still not as bad as people make it out to be, if I was you I'd either not worry about it or try to get out if you don't want to stay.

Devillan
04-28-2011, 11:26 PM
The only action you'll see in the Mid-East its in the Arabian countries. If you come to Israel and go to Jerusalem you'll see sometimes solders that patrol around to keep the peace

Delphinus
04-29-2011, 03:39 AM
It reminds me to how military applies the principle of "Which is first, chicken or egg?". If you want to decide to not to participate in an operation, you must either injured or mentally not sane. Most people wouldn't want to deliberately injured themselves, so it's easier to say that you are not sane. But insane people never think themselves as insane, only sane person could think like that. So...

...uh. You realise this is from the novel Catch-22, which is a satire of the military, right?

LVUER
04-29-2011, 04:03 AM
No... and just google it. Yeah, perhaps I heard the story from that. Is it really happens in real military?

Delphinus
04-29-2011, 05:29 AM
I don't know. I seriously hope not, but who knows with the madness of bureaucracy?

Aether
04-29-2011, 12:11 PM
- I am terrified of the dark. I can handle the darkness if I am in a familiar place or at some times, outside. But never if I watch a scary movie.
- I have a huge fear of flying to the point where I will black out and wake up several hours later.
- I am terrified of heights because I always feel the need to jump.
- I refuse to watch scary movies because I become incredibly paranoid.
- I have a compulsion to correct people if they are spouting incorrect information. Sometimes, in the most brutal way possible.
- I try to argue at every possible opportunity.
- Fake stupidity makes me fucking angry. This includes drunk people pretending to be dumber for some reason and girls using some sort of "baby voice" to get their way. I have no patience for it at all.
- Volume must always be in multiples of five.
- I have a huge fear of commitment of all types.
There's probably more.

Slurpee
04-29-2011, 04:14 PM
My brother has a phobia of ketchup

GunZet
04-29-2011, 04:44 PM
You didn't spray yourself with ketchup and stumble up to him with a knife at one point did you?

Devillan
04-29-2011, 06:21 PM
and giving him a bloody hell

Sylux
04-29-2011, 06:34 PM
- I have a huge fear of flying to the point where I will black out and wake up several hours later.
- I am terrified of heights because I always feel the need to jump.
- I refuse to watch scary movies because I become incredibly paranoid.
- I have a compulsion to correct people if they are spouting incorrect information. Sometimes, in the most brutal way possible.
- I try to argue at every possible opportunity.
- Fake stupidity makes me fucking angry. This includes drunk people pretending to be dumber for some reason and girls using some sort of "baby voice" to get their way. I have no patience for it at all.
- Volume must always be in multiples of five.
- I have a huge fear of commitment of all types.
I only omitted one which was abnormal. Seems to me your habits and irks are pretty commonplace.

Psy
04-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Irrational fears and phobias are another form of (or part of) OCD.

Slurpee
04-29-2011, 07:37 PM
You didn't spray yourself with ketchup and stumble up to him with a knife at one point did you?

Lol I wish. Maybe because I used to do wierd stuff to his food as kids he has this fear of ketchup :(

LVUER
04-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Like mixing the ketchup with laxative?

BozeSG
04-30-2011, 05:21 PM
-i can't listen to what someone says completely, i'll ignore some parts no matter how important it is.
-i start making up stories in my mind when i'm listening to music, sometimes i even forget what musics i'm listening to when i'm doing that.
-i eat salad with ketchup.
-sometimes i start to think how can i brutally murder the nearest person to me when i'm bored, but at the same time i'm a peace loving person.
-i'm afraid of the sound of dripping water.
-i don't feel like myself when i wear t-shirts.
-i'm always changing the volume when i'm listening to any of the digital players, even when i'm watching movies.
-i'm too lazy to write replies longer than this, so i always stop and write the rest later. and when that can't be done, i just delete what i wrote and give up.

blufox4900
04-30-2011, 09:26 PM
I chew on my left thumb when I'm at work whether it be drawing or working on my photographs..except when I'm in the darkroom. Chewing a thumb that has some developer or rapid fix on it tastes like crap.

Noodlesoup
05-01-2011, 09:57 AM
-i can't listen to what someone says completely, i'll ignore some parts no matter how important it is.
Haha I do that too. Wow, salad with ketchup sounds...interesting? XD

I'm scared of like everything, but something really weird I'm scared of is meerkats. They just make me feel really uncomfortable and anxious. My friends find this hilarious. >_>

BozeSG
05-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Yup, salad with ketchup really tastes.... interesting!

is it the eyes? or the neck?