PDA

View Full Version : Game Developers Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

GunZet
05-21-2012, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't use GameMaker if you want to make something completely serious and intricate. It's possible, for example: Battleships Forever, Dark Verse, Hover Tank 3D. But they usually suffer from -something- because well... it's gamemaker.

It's just highly accessible, which is why it's so popular. Unity seems to be the thing now for people who're trying to get serious about it.

Delphinus
05-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Unity is 3d, though, and it's still a development suite rather than an API. I want to use an object-oriented language to program the thing and not use a development suite. For numerous reasons, not least of which being that integrating a development suite with Steam is hard as fuck. However, I don't want to go so low-level that I'm accessing the graphics hardware directly, which is why I'm not going to learn OpenGL or DirectDraw. Allegro is a good middle-ground that'll give me increased control and speed without having to deal with the nitty-gritty of hacking the Windows interface or writing my own graphics buffering functions.

Delphinus
05-24-2012, 05:19 PM
More programming like a real man. Successfully chopping up a font tileset and loading it into memory as part of the roguelike stuff.

http://i49.tinypic.com/106k2og.png

http://i46.tinypic.com/16ht7pl.png

Bacon_Barbarian
05-24-2012, 09:08 PM
So wait, can I post sprites here if I don't want them in my art thread? (Even though they aren't currently going to any one game in particular.)

Sylux
05-24-2012, 10:20 PM
um if it's legit game dev then yeah

Delphinus
05-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Resolved problems with memory allocation resulting from my slightly lacking understanding of pointers (new map*[3] not new map*; the latter causes an overflow when you try to allocate a new object to map[2]). Also resolved problem with the program failing to compile properly due to my path having space characters in it. Wrote out a cleverer and more efficient program structure, complete with class definitions and a brief overview of the pointers I have to pass to various objects for them to perform correctly.

I have come a long way since I started learning C++ at 14/15.

EDIT: When the engine for this game is ready I'm going to release it as an open-source resource. It should make programming roguelikes much easier for the inexperienced, so if any of you guys who prefer design or graphics to programming ever want to make a roguelike, you'll have the Delibrary available.

EDIT2: This is a ridiculous line of code.

PrintCharacter(tiles[map->GetTile(x,y)->id]->GetGlyph(),((x-map->GetViewX(0))*16)+screenX,((y-map->GetViewY(0))*16)+screenY,tiles[map->GetTile(x,y)->id]->GetForeground());

EDIT3: Which has been erased in favour of the shorter, but equally ridiculous:

PrintTile(((x-map->GetViewX(0))*16)+screenX,((y-map->GetViewY(0))*16)+screenY,map->GetTile(x,y));

EDIT4: The lighting in the roguelike. It looks beautiful, but treats my memory like a fat kid with a supersize big mac.

http://i47.tinypic.com/ev53rt.png

jaidurn
05-28-2012, 01:02 AM
So I decided to start using unity. It's actually pretty rad and easy to use.

GunZet
05-28-2012, 01:16 AM
I'd love to get into Unity if I'd ever use it for anything. Buuut since I'm not game designing anymore, meh.
Sy told me you made something pretty cool with it though.

jaidurn
05-28-2012, 01:22 AM
So my game is p. much

"I'm a cube that can move."

Mountains.

"Lol mountains get outta my way i'll just use you to fly."

GunZet
05-28-2012, 01:31 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-l9-jrITNnO4/T08B4LU5-CI/AAAAAAAADkc/9nHIU66iqzo/s1600/edge-ti.jpg

jaidurn
05-28-2012, 01:53 AM
Yeah something like that except with less flopping around and more pashoooom boom atatatatata

Inksprout
05-28-2012, 02:12 AM
We're using Unity for my university game project. Its pretty easy to use

Delphinus
05-28-2012, 05:16 AM
Updated lighting algorithm to a less recursive one, meaning it uses far less memory and runs far faster. Unfortunately, it also makes line-of-sight and shadow programming quite a lot more complex.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2lj0yky.png

jaidurn
05-29-2012, 06:08 PM
All of those feels when you make a game that looks like crap, but it's actually p. fun.

Sylux
05-29-2012, 06:21 PM
LITU bb

Delphinus
05-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Best lighting algorithm so far, no recursion at all. Still a couple of minor glitches, and I should probably add a directional lighting component, but here it is in action.

http://i47.tinypic.com/24vtoj9.png

EDIT: This game is going to be a totally freeware and open-source release. It's a zombie-themed roguelike, and the lighting is important because zombies come back to life in darkness after a certain period of time, and gain health when they're in deep darkness. There are also day/night cycles - unlike a typical roguelike, this is set in a skyscraper which you climb up. Light shines in through the windows during the day, meaning daytime is a safe time to explore and loot each floor. Zombies try to hide from the light and get stat penalties if they enter an area that's particularly bright, which get heavier the brighter the light is. In the brightest sunlight they lose health. So it's in the player's best interests to try and light up each floor as much as possible.

At night any zombies not in a bright area will be reborn, along with any ordinary corpses that aren't in light. There's no way you'll be able to kill all the zombies on a single floor without daylight, so instead you should try to barricade yourself inside a well-lit and/or corpse-free room until daylight comes. Low-level zombies won't bother attacking barricades, but the more powerful the zombie the more likely they are to attempt to break in. You can build traps to defend yourself from these incoming zombies. The cleverest zombies won't just attack barricades, they'll smash lights, block up windows, and set traps for the player. Some zombies can use firearms, most can't.

You'll also be able to smash windows and do things like throw zombie corpses out them. But if like a douchebag you start flinging ALL the zombie corpses out the window, you'll get a nasty surprise, probably in the form of an increased chance of a special boss on the next floor. That special miniboss will be a mushed-up horrific combination of all the zombies you've thrown out the window so far, and its strength will be related to the number of zombies you've defenestrated.

EDIT2: I'm pretty amazed by how quickly C++ runs relative to scripting languages. This messes around with memory so much that it shouldn't be so quick to generate and print.

http://i49.tinypic.com/200y9us.png

EDIT3: Added the beginnings of interactivity to the game, letting me move the camera around the level with the keypad. Made two major optimisations, greatly reducing CPU consumption on screen redraws.

EDIT4: Coloured lighting! No blending between colours yet, so it looks a bit goofy when two different colours meet, but here's a 'dead of night' screen.

http://i48.tinypic.com/r8cr42.png

EDIT5: Looks like light blending is impossible to do with my current lighting system. I'm going to reprogram the lighting system completely to make it possible, which means losing quite a lot of code. Totally worth it though.

EDIT6: My game is on acid. What the fuck.

http://i48.tinypic.com/5dp4ir.png

EDIT7: Resolved the above lighting issues. Remember kids, always nest your statements correctly!

http://s14.postimage.org/j9njbz941/zombie09.png

Delphinus
08-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Three months down the line: I had to discontinue the Zombie Roguelike because of issues with the structure of the program. Everything worked up until I tried to add certain commands, and I'm going to have to restructure the program to fix that problem (meaning rewriting all the class definitions and some of the functions).

With that in mind, is this a good way to structure a program? I would have a single 'Master' object which contains all the main commands of the game, and stores the data for the game (individual enemy objects, the current map, etc.) in a series of structs within this object. It would also store arrays for a number of generic types (let's say EnemyType, ItemType etc.). Each instance in the array would be a different type of enemy or object descended from the base Type class. Then when I need to do something I pass the Struct of the individual instance to the Object representing that object's type. So let's say I have three rats on the map. rat01 gets passed to the ratClass object each round for its OnRound function, and the OnRound function of ratClass tells rat01 that it needs to move up. I do a few checks with the current map, then move rat01 up by decreasing Enemy[0].y by one.

Idk if there are any programmers with experience structuring programs here, but if you can help it'd be nice.

Delphinus
08-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Hey guys, I was talking complete crap in my last post! While better program structure might help me, the problem I was having was due to recursive header inclusion, not program structure, and was solved fairly quickly and easily through forward declaration.

This is awesome news for me, because I now have a powerful laptop and the ability to continue development on the game. If you're really lucky you may even get to play it before christmas.

Fenn
08-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Hey guys, I was talking complete crap in my last post! While better program structure might help me, the problem I was having was due to recursive header inclusion, not program structure, and was solved fairly quickly and easily through forward declaration.

This is awesome news for me, because I now have a powerful laptop and the ability to continue development on the game. If you're really lucky you may even get to play it before christmas.

Just read through you're most recent logs above, sounds really cool, as well as very educational for your programming experience.

Delphinus
08-23-2012, 03:37 PM
As it turns out I don't need to restructure my code, but I probably should. I'm kinda starting to clog up this thread with my posts - would anyone read a progress log if I made posts say once a week?

Fenn
08-23-2012, 08:02 PM
As it turns out I don't need to restructure my code, but I probably should. I'm kinda starting to clog up this thread with my posts - would anyone read a progress log if I made posts say once a week?

*peeks out meekly from behind a high ledge*

..I would.

Delphinus
08-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Okay Fenn I'll make a blog when I'd do my next update and you can follow it :D

Fenn
08-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Okay Fenn I'll make a blog when I'd do my next update and you can follow it :D

Yay. I'm pretty much self-taught in game design and only know Game Maker, so I'm hoping reading how someone else does it will help me get better.

Or maybe I just want to live out my developer's dreams vicariously through someone else. Could be either.

Matt
08-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Play Game Dev Story.

Are you in college, Fenn? I think most colleges offer something in the way of game design if you're not a self-teaching type.

Fenn
08-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Play Game Dev Story.

Are you in college, Fenn? I think most colleges offer something in the way of game design if you're not a self-teaching type.

That is certainly an option for me, but since it's not currently a career path for me it needs to fit in with the rest of my life. I am going to learn programming this year (a real coding language, not GML), so that's a start.

Delphinus
08-25-2012, 09:42 PM
^ If you want to learn a 'real' programming language I recommend either Java or C#, they're pretty commonly-used mid-level languages. C++ is what I program in, but it's a bit of an outdated language, and its only real benefits are its 'purity', its speed, and its ability to use pointers. The problem with using pointers is that they're difficult to understand and use and they can easily cause memory leaks if you're not really careful with them.

In the long run it doesn't really matter what you use, because once you have a solid grasp of one language you can generally pick up any others in a week or two.

Fenn
08-25-2012, 10:12 PM
In the long run it doesn't really matter what you use, because once you have a solid grasp of one language you can generally pick up any others in a week or two.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/002/252/me-gusta.jpg

Jasonaa
09-29-2012, 07:26 AM
I really want to learn. I am interested in gaming developer. It would a great opportunity for me. Now a days i am free and i want to learn gaming development. Can you give me some suggestion about developing? How can i learn this?

jubeh
09-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Okay convince me you're not a bot first.

Have you guys seen that game maker suite what do you think.

Matt
09-30-2012, 03:36 PM
I think I'll stick with the thing I don't pay a ton of money for. Though it does look pretty cool, and if I was really serious about development and had a team, I'd probably get it.

GunZet
09-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Gamemaker Studio?

jaidurn
10-22-2012, 11:52 PM
So guys, I'm back with using XNA, and I must say, ladders are pretty nice.

jubeh
10-28-2012, 05:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/a6QY4.png

Hayashida
10-28-2012, 08:29 PM
yes

jubeh
11-01-2012, 04:05 PM
There is a nanowrimo thing for game design

http://nathanrussell.net/naga-demon/

Think I might do that instead of nanowrimo because writing is actually evil and its how satan gets into your hands.

Matt
11-01-2012, 05:56 PM
I'll stick to NaNo for now, but I'll probably gravitate into NaGa after I get my degree.

jubeh
11-01-2012, 06:21 PM
So you're that kind of person

jubeh
12-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Need a cool studio name.Thinking about:
New Slang (idk how I feel about a music reference as a name)
Osaka Dharma (
Space Dharma (leaning towards this but there is already a website called dharma games)
Poverty Games
Fool Forever
Timely Rain

Found a name generator and got some cool names from it:
Spoon Planet
Hallway Astronaut
Heavy Melon

Evil_Cake
12-05-2012, 05:13 PM
heavy melon for sure

GunZet
12-05-2012, 05:25 PM
F4Ever Studios

Hayashida
12-05-2012, 07:59 PM
I think Heavy Melon sounds really cool and like it could be 1 of those classic names u know wat i mean

jubeh
12-06-2012, 12:48 AM
I googled it tho and it seems to be used by some stuff idk the rules on that

Hayashida
12-06-2012, 03:35 PM
idk man i think as long as there isn't a game dev company called that already ur prob good

jubeh
12-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Are you sure can you get me a lawyer

Hayashida
12-06-2012, 03:38 PM
ill be your lawyer man

GaBo
12-08-2012, 12:54 AM
Anybody here messed with the Cryengine 3 SDK much? I've played with it but never really made anything extensive.

Lucifer
12-08-2012, 06:31 PM
I've been playing around with it. Trying to get a feel for the editor again and trying to get stuff from blender to CE3 (thus far, CryBlend is working well, but the original developer has stopped working on it :/ ).

Looking at the code base makes me feel very puny, but the tutorials make everything look so easy.

SebSchmidt
01-03-2013, 07:29 PM
I have been into programming for about a year and a half. I started using GameMaker and I made a short but very functional demo of a Final Fantasy type game based on Naruto and I also made a clone of Mario on the NES. I have now moved on to a program called Unity3D, it is very powerful but quite complicated.
Good luck to everyone here in their gamemaking endeavors! =)

jaidurn
03-01-2013, 06:13 PM
So guys, I've decided to get serious at this. I'm learning SDL and OpenGL because I decided that I'd rather have portability over popularity.

I've got a six month plan all written up and a goal to reach.

Here's to a successful 6 months period of time and actually finishing something.

Cheers.

Lucifer
03-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Will you be using external libraries and engines (besides SDL and OpenGL media libraries perhaps) or are you planning to go full man-mode and write everything yourself?

jaidurn
03-05-2013, 12:41 PM
I was more thinking about crossing that bridge as I got there. I'm working on setting up a tile engine in SDL at the moment. I'd prefer to go full man-mode and do all the stuff myself, but that might have to wait until I'm more comfortable with SDL and OpenGL.

The one thing I probably will end up handling myself is the physics. I love me some physics.

Lucifer
03-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Also just for fun, create a progress-blog. Might inspire some people along the way (including me, I should get back to SDL).

jubeh
04-15-2013, 01:52 PM
King of Punching is coming to a close and it seems unreal. I have no idea what to explore next.

I'm humoring 8-bit rpgs, platformers, and beat'em'ups. Maybe another fighting game down the road. Like an actual proper fighting game.

Lucifer
04-15-2013, 04:40 PM
8 bit platform sidescrolling fighting game with insane combos?

jubeh
04-15-2013, 04:59 PM
WHAT

totally possible

Sylux
04-15-2013, 05:26 PM
It would be cool if you made an RPG based on our D&D sessions.

jubeh
04-15-2013, 05:36 PM
you mean a hireling assisted suicide simulator

Sylux
04-15-2013, 08:00 PM
It would make for interesting writing.

jubeh
04-28-2013, 05:33 PM
King of Punching is finished but I'm experiencing extreme anxiety about actually releasing it. What the

jubeh
05-29-2013, 02:53 AM
I have this idea for a game where you play as dracula and fight contemporary horror monsters in an attempt to become top dog again

Lucifer
05-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Arena style (like KoP) or "Dungeon" style (for the lack of a better term, think of the old prince of persia games)?

If it's arena style, how are you going to differentiate it from KoP?

jubeh
05-29-2013, 12:13 PM
Naw its a platformer. I was going to make a castlevania clone but I decided being dracula would be more fun than killing him.

Lucifer
05-29-2013, 03:27 PM
I can get behind that idea, now make the game!

jubeh
11-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Bancho Games and friends are doing this jam

http://gamejolt.com/community/contests/

You should too

CypressDahlia
11-09-2013, 01:02 AM
Naw its a platformer. I was going to make a castlevania clone but I decided being dracula would be more fun than killing him.

If it's anywhere near as good as Kid Dracula I'm behind you.

jubeh
11-25-2013, 02:28 PM
gmstudio released for free so I can port games to mac now for all the burdens out there

Evil_Cake
11-25-2013, 02:36 PM
nice

jubeh
11-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Can't seem to import KoP as it reads as corrupted for some reason.

Evil_Cake
11-25-2013, 03:03 PM
well thats a bunch of balls on face

Hayashida
11-25-2013, 05:47 PM
cool but that sucks about kop. ive played it before tho on a pc

jubeh
11-28-2013, 11:07 PM
sneak peak

http://i.imgur.com/pPdkuXf.png

Hayashida
11-28-2013, 11:35 PM
??? This a new game ur making?

jubeh
11-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Yeah have you found a tracker yet

CypressDahlia
11-29-2013, 12:57 AM
I'm working on a Megaman clone myself, but you're a lot further than I am. Mimicking Megaman-style movement is proving harder than i thought.

Hayashida
11-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Yeah have you found a tracker yet

ugh not yet tho i havent had much time to look. I think ill have some time saturday tho so I will look then

Delphinus
05-28-2014, 07:51 AM
I went hardcore and decided to program in C++ from low level libraries.
I hate my life. 5000 lines of code and the graphics engine isn't completed. Oh well. At least I can actually make Benjamins off this one.