PDA

View Full Version : Food!

butternut
04-17-2011, 02:33 AM
I was thinking about this for a very long time. So yeah, food. Discuss all kinds of food from all over the world here (except Ramen, coz you know, it's got its own thread).

Favourite food, recipes, quick-fixes, experiments in the kitchen and new creations (however awesome or disasterous), anything and everything that tickle the taste buds and make your guts growl.

Hayashida
04-17-2011, 03:21 AM
Once I tried to make eggs with teriyaki sauce. It was okay, but I don't think I'll ever make it again.

GunZet
04-17-2011, 11:31 AM
I like chitlins with hotsauce. And for those who don't know, chitlins are pig intestines. Yes you usually have to clean the shit out of them, yes if you don't clean them right; they not only smell like shit, but sort of taste like it too. And yes, it's an aquired taste not for everyone.
I usually eat it around Thanksgiving day. But it's so great made by people who know wtf they're doing.

Another food I just effing love is...ok I don't know what it was, but it was a Vietnamese food. You have these rice discs that you dip in hot water, and they get really sticky and soft. And you wrap up anything you want in it and chow down.
I need some more of this...like really.

ClockHand
04-17-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm big fan of all kind of food.

I love Peruvian food: Cebiche, Aji de Gallina (Chicken Chile), Chupe de Camarones, etc.

Also I love Mexican food: Taco, Burrito, Quesadilla, Mole Poblano, Cochinita Pibil, Guacamole, etc.

Love canton chinnesse food (we all know the food), korean (lamion), japanese, Hindu (I fucking love curry and gulab jamun), Italian (pizza, taglarines, lazagna, rissoto, etc), french, irish, spanish (paella wuju!!!), arabic, and so.

I'm always searching recipes.

Also, if you like sushi (or not), try cebiche, is also raw fish, but is way better.

Evil_Cake
04-17-2011, 01:14 PM
whats the best type of paella

ClockHand
04-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Sea Paella (paella marina). I have a special love for sea food.

Ozzaharwood
04-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Same with me. ^

Crab legs, calamari, lobster, scallops, shrimp, mussels, talapia.

I gotta say though, when I went to Jamaica and went to the Japanese restaurant in the hotel, it was some of the best food I've ever had. Tempura, tofu soup, teriyaki beef and grilled chicken cooked right in front of you with a load of side vegetables and rice. If I could just have that one more time...

Edit: Clock, if you were talking about ceviche then I know you have a taste for good food. I've had talapia ceviche and beef ceviche. Amazing stuff.

Outcast
04-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Same, love sea food especially dragon rolls. :]

Rio
04-18-2011, 11:37 AM
I like chitlins with hotsauce. And for those who don't know, chitlins are pig intestines. Yes you usually have to clean the shit out of them, yes if you don't clean them right; they not only smell like shit, but sort of taste like it too. And yes, it's an aquired taste not for everyone.
I usually eat it around Thanksgiving day. But it's so great made by people who know wtf they're doing. Chitlins huh? I call it tripe. Good stuff - nice and soft. You don't get them from the supermarket already cleaned out for you? Gunz, you need to get to an Asian supermarket and buy one that's clean and fresh off the meats section.

GunZet
04-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Chitlins huh? I call it tripe. Good stuff - nice and soft. You don't get them from the supermarket already cleaned out for you? Gunz, you need to get to an Asian supermarket and buy one that's clean and fresh off the meats section.
Tripe, speaking of tripe. Menudo is so effing awesome. It's a Mexican spice soup basically. With pieces of cow stomach *and other parts?* and hominy. Best if you throw some fresh lime in there along with some parsley.

And I dunno, I've never bought the chitlins lol. My fam always gets these buckets of half-cleaned ones. Guess it's tradition or something.

One thing I learned last Thanksgiving was NEVER, for the love of all that is sane, NEVER leave leftover chitlins. Eat em on the spot or they'll turn into this horrible greasy solid that leaves a lingering smell in the dish used for weeks...ugh.

erikamae
04-18-2011, 01:43 PM
I miss Filipino food :c Like Sinigang sa hipon or isaaaaw.
I also dig tempura rolls.
Agreed with Gunz, Viet food is magical.

Rio
04-19-2011, 12:24 PM
@ Gunz
My bad. Tripe = stomach lining. Chitlin is intestine. Do you fry yours? We fry ours and it tastes great. Nice and crunchy. <3

@ erikamae
Really? You don't have any local Asian store that stock ready-made Filipino food? Or have Filipino friends and family who usually serve Filipino food when there's a gathering? If you don't... I feel for you. :cat_awww:

Evil_Cake
04-19-2011, 12:27 PM
:monkey_throwup:

GunZet
04-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Nope, I've actually never had it fried. It's always been pressure cooked. Great either way. I'll have to try fried some time.

Rio
04-19-2011, 12:31 PM
:monkey_throwup:Hey, don't knock it till you try it.

Nope, I've actually never had it fried. It's always been pressure cooked. Great either way. I'll have to try fried some time.If you fry it, make sure you eat it fresh... or else it'll turn much like your Thanksgiving warning. :D

Evil_Cake
04-19-2011, 01:22 PM
man I can knock stuff before I try it. Like murder, havent tried it but I'm sure its bad

GunZet
04-19-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm sure you've killed a bug before. Plus murder tastes good. Especially in the form of a double quarter pounder.

butternut
04-19-2011, 02:01 PM
You are frying the guts of some poor creature. That sounds bad.

Rio
04-19-2011, 02:16 PM
At least we're not being wasteful. 'Sides, intestines are used to make sausages, you know? It's nothing radical. And for the record, chicken feet tastes great.

butternut
04-19-2011, 02:19 PM
No, I'm not saying eating animals is bad - i'm a carnivore myself. Just the way it is put - frying the guts - feels kinda...umm....i don't know.

Evil_Cake
04-19-2011, 02:20 PM
man just eating the organ where poop goes is nasty

butternut
04-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Poop goes in the large intestine, small intestine is where nutrients are sucked. So what intestine are we talking about here?

And most of the sitcoms, people are always eating stuff. Don't you get so hungry watching them? I do. And I can't eat those because:
1. You don't get that stuff here.
2. Even if you do get similar stuff, they don't look as yummy, or they aren't yummy.

God I'm starving!!

GunZet
04-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Small intestine, large intestine. Intestine period.

Rio
04-19-2011, 02:27 PM
@ Cake
lol I guess you just can't get past that huh? Are you also one of those people who can't eat anything with the head still attached to it like the whole fish or pig? Because it's staring at you?

@ saphira
It's normal to me so I guess I don't find it strange. But I'm kind of surprised - I mean, don't you have dishes like this? Haven't you ever eaten tongue, oxtail, snails (escargot if you want to get fancy), pigs feet, and some of the more non-normal or "safe" food found in restaurants?

butternut
04-19-2011, 02:45 PM
LOL, I am from a vegetrian family, so no meat at home. I started eating meat regularly only for the past two years. And over here, you don't get a lot of variety. It's mostly chicken, mutton, different types of fish and prawns. You do get pork and beef in metros and other cities I guess, but I've never tasted them or even seen them. Most people here are vegetarians.

I'll be coming to the US this summer, and I can't wait to taste the awesome food. =D

Rio
04-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Ooo, where are you going? Whatcha gonna try?

butternut
04-19-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm gonna stay in New Jersey. For a vacation. I don't know what my sister has planned for us (me, mom, dad) though. But she keeps talking about awesome food - like authentic chinese and japanese and stuff (unlike here where everything has a tinge of indian :| ) and I'm expecting there's gonna be loads of it. Apart from travelling and holiday-ing of course!

jubeh
04-19-2011, 03:02 PM
My favorite food is spaghetti but I have a love/hate relationship with it.

GunZet
04-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Have you ever tried spaghetti made with angel hair instead of the regular noodles? Quite nice.

Blue_Dragon
04-23-2011, 05:05 AM
Mmmmm, I love angel hair.

I myself like to try all different kinds of food-so long as it's meat-less. I also like to make my own versions of stuff that should have meat in it. I'll eat just about anything...or at least try it.

I think some of my personal favorites to eat and cook is Palak Paneer and Spinach and Bell Pepper pasta melt (I don't know its name...forgot and too lazy to look up. Plus I'm at work, so I couldn't look it up anyway cause I don't have my cookbook.)

butternut
04-23-2011, 05:22 AM
Oh Blue Dragon! I do that at home too! I just substitute meat with potatoes or paneer(cottage cheese) or flour or other such things. My appetite for Palak Paneer died after eating the stuff here ar college.

Alexander_Hamilton
04-23-2011, 09:25 AM
My family is going to some nice restaurant on Easter, and we're getting this big-ass meal. It looks delicious, but I am sure I will be full by the time dessert comes around. ):

Rio
04-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Yup! We're going out for Easter too. I'm gonna stuff my face this Sunday. :9